Thread: Mapex Saturn vs Sonor Special edition Beechwood

User Info Menu

Default Mapex Saturn vs Sonor Special edition Beechwood

Not really a versus as much as it is just a side by side. I love em both in their own way. Excuse the drumming, I spent all day cleaning and setting them up, then some buddies came over unannounced.. approximately 7 beers later here is my video : ) I may try another one later and try to get better lighting.

The Sonor has all complete stock sonor remo clear ambassador heads top and bottom. The only aftermarket head is the BD reso which is an aquarian regulator with the port hole already in it.

The Saturn has stock 7+ yr old reso heads and 1 yr old Evans G2 clears on top. The snare has a Remo controlled sound with alot of use. BD has an Evans EQ4 batter fairly new and a Kickport in the stock reso.

For the next video I have all new coated ambassadors for the Sonor I will install on batter side and by luck I just found brand new Saturn stock heads top and bottom that someone took off a brand new kit and put all after market heads on. ($60 with S & H) I will replace all of them as well.

what are your thoughts, which one do you like better sound wise?
    Last edited by MDK; 11-02-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Saturn vs Sonor Special edition Beechwood

I've seen several threads about your concerns for the SONOR kit. They are great drums. Embrace them.

If you really don't like them, you should really do as much home work as possible to compare all kits in consideration and then make a decision.

Truly, only your ears can make the decision. Regardless of what we all (say/recommend) in the end you have to be satisfied.

I said this in another thread and will reemphasize...don't get rid of the kit just because of the mounting arrangement. There should be a viable solution for you.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I've seen several threads about your concerns for the SONOR kit. They are great drums. Embrace them.

If you really don't like them, you should really do as much home work as possible to compare all kits in consideration and then make a decision.

Truly, only your ears can make the decision. Regardless of what we all (say/recommend) in the end you have to be satisfied.

I said this in another thread and will reemphasize...don't get rid of the kit just because of the mounting arrangement. There should be a viable solution for you.

Thanks Bish I really value your opinion, I am actually leaning toowards keeping them. I gigged with em last week and setting up was not too bad. Still a little more work than I am used to and the toms went back to that weird angle I hate where the top of the 2 toms are a little closer than the bottoms and for some reason that really bugs me. I dd not try to adjust em too much because we were running a lil late. I will gig them again next saturday night and see how it goes.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I am a big Mapex fan and own a couple kits. Those Sonars, to me, have a great sound too (as best as you can tell from that video). Hope you're able to make those work for you. Would be a shame to get rid of them due to set up issues. There's lots of options available for you to maybe make it work. Good luck with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I am a big Mapex fan and own a couple kits. Those Sonars, to me, have a great sound too (as best as you can tell from that video). Hope you're able to make those work for you. Would be a shame to get rid of them due to set up issues. There's lots of options available for you to maybe make it work. Good luck with it.
    Thanks bud, I love my Saturns as well and yes these Sonors do sound fantastic..The recorder did not capture enough of the difference between them, plus the cement floor and walls does nt help. If you were to hear em live you would notice more of a difference. I am actually looking to see if a saturn BD mount would work on the sonors.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Thanks bud, I love my Saturns as well and yes these Sonors do sound fantastic..The recorder did not capture enough of the difference between them, plus the cement floor and walls does nt help. If you were to hear em live you would notice more of a difference. I am actually looking to see if a saturn BD mount would work on the sonors.
    I have one that I'm not using. Not sure it would work for you but you can have it if you want. Let me know and we can work it out.

User Info Menu

That would be great inthpk..let me take some measurements and I will get back to ya..Thanks
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    That would be great inthpk..let me take some measurements and I will get back to ya..Thanks
    Lugs are 11" OC apart front to back and 6.5" OC apart side to side. The mount has a 1 1/8" opening.

Lugs won't match the Sonar's. That wouldn't bother me any.