Thread: cold weather and drum sets

User Info Menu

Default cold weather and drum sets

I just purchased a new set of gertsch cats. I built a room in my garage to practice in, its all closed in and insulated but no heat yet. temps are getting into the 20's now and colder. the room in the mornings are in the high 30's to40's. does the cold affect the drum set or not. No moisture just cold. need some input on the subject soon before it might be to late.

User Info Menu

Default Re: cold weather and drum sets

The cymbals more than the drums.

User Info Menu

Heat and especially humidity hurts drums more than the cold does. Cymbals become slightly brittle in the cold. So I would be more concerned with my cymbals right now.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

so should I bring my cymbals inside when not using them. when I practice I use a kerosene heater then turn it off when I leave. or should I keep it running all the time which is a little expensive but I wouldn't want to ruin the set or the cymbals

User Info Menu

It will be fine, just make sure you warm it up slowly, and keep it dry.

User Info Menu

Yeah Maybe just turn the heat on about an hour or so before you hit the cymbals.. Do some pad work
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Also DO NOT COVER THE KIT WITH PLASTIC!!!!! Use a breathable cotton cloth.

User Info Menu

Everything expands and contracts with the temperature and humidity. Wood as well as metal. I personally try to avoid frequent temp and humidity changes as much as possible when it comes to drums, guitars and even furniture. Not saying it will seriously hurt them, but it won't do any good for the plywood and glue joints. It also makes it hard to keep everything in tune.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have a little accordion style oil filled heater in my bunkie and it set at the lowest setting which keeps the room at 40. Works well and cheap to run.

User Info Menu

My current band practices at our bass player's house. He doesn't have a furnace or A/C. In the summer it's hot as hell and humid and in the winter he uses a wood and pellet burning stove thats about 6 feet from my drum set. It makes me cringe to think of my drums being subjected to such environment. When he fires up the pellet stove in the fall, everything is covered with a 1/2" of dust. The rest of the year, the windows are open and the dust is just as bad. Oh, and he smokes 2 packs of cigs per day inside the house. That's the reason I fixed up an old set of Maxwins....so I wouldn't have to leave my Premiers there. The guitar players are constantly having to clean the control knobs and switches.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

The chrome hardware and lugs are going to suffer as well. Big changes in the Temp and Humidity bring the dew point up into even the 50s and 60s at times. You will get condensation on the metal parts and begin the speed corrosion and deterioration.

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    My current band practices at our bass player's house. He doesn't have a furnace or A/C. In the summer it's hot as hell and humid and in the winter he uses a wood and pellet burning stove thats about 6 feet from my drum set. It makes me cringe to think of my drums being subjected to such environment. When he fires up the pellet stove in the fall, everything is covered with a 1/2" of dust. The rest of the year, the windows are open and the dust is just as bad. Oh, and he smokes 2 packs of cigs per day inside the house. That's the reason I fixed up an old set of Maxwins....so I wouldn't have to leave my Premiers there. The guitar players are constantly having to clean the control knobs and switches.
    It is obvious that the bass player has no respect for your or your equipment. His house is a health hazard an I would refuse to play or put my drums there. As for the pellet stove. I use one and can't see where all this dust that you are talking about is coming from. I was burning wood before and that was dusty but not the pellet stove.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    It is obvious that the bass player has no respect for your or your equipment. His house is a health hazard an I would refuse to play or put my drums there. As for the pellet stove. I use one and can't see where all this dust that you are talking about is coming from. I was burning wood before and that was dusty but not the pellet stove.
    I agree. I wish we had another place to practice, but he owns the PA, amps, board and sound equipment (except for the guitar amps). I don't really mind the heat in summer, but once he fires up that stove, it's almost as hot in the dead of winter, LOL. What really bothers me is the smoke and dust. I don't really know about the pellet stove; he claims that's where all the dust is coming from, but who knows. It's like practicing in a 1970's roadhouse or Honkey-Tonk.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Sorry to hear about the environment for your drums! The heat/cold and dust are bad, but the smoke is the worst, in my personal opinion. I know there is the thing about the 'mojo' from instruments being in the proverbial 'smokey bars', but that seems to be more focused at guitars and basses...never really thought about it for drums. Still, the stink of cigarette smoke would be awful in on my instruments... My wife is a smoker, but outside, so all my instruments are safe!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

My wife smokes as well...and I even do on rare occasion. But, we never smoked in the house or around the kids and I never allow smoking in my vehicles. I usually throw an old bed sheet over my drums when practice is over. It helps some, but everything still gets dusty by the next weekend.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

what size room is that accordion heater in? my room is 15ft x 23ft with 12ft ceilings I think I'm going have to invest in a pellet stove or a trailer furnace, but for now I think I'm going to bring it back into the house. I'm sure my wife is going to love this. thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dabdrums View Post
    what size room is that accordion heater in? my room is 15ft x 23ft with 12ft ceilings I think I'm going have to invest in a pellet stove or a trailer furnace, but for now I think I'm going to bring it back into the house. I'm sure my wife is going to love this. thanks
    That size of a room would probably cost a lot to keep warm....................good luck convincing the wife

User Info Menu

convinced the wife drums are back in the house. practice when she's at work pad work when she's home

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dabdrums View Post
    I just purchased a new set of gertsch cats. I built a room in my garage to practice in, its all closed in and insulated but no heat yet. temps are getting into the 20's now and colder. the room in the mornings are in the high 30's to40's. does the cold affect the drum set or not. No moisture just cold. need some input on the subject soon before it might be to late.
    Cold and heat does not injure quality drums.
    Gretsch Cats should be fine.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Your heads might tighten a bit in the cold. But other than that, I don't really think there's too much to worry about. Put a dehumidifier in the room if you have concerns over condensation.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

i stick to this rule of thumb... if the room is comfortable for you, its ok for the drums..

so a 20 degree room.. no thanks
    Too Much Stuff.