Thread: drum wrap?

User Info Menu

Default drum wrap?

I’m new to this forum so if this has been covered before I apologize. I have a vintage 1965 Ludwig kit with a Black Diamond Pearl wrap that I love. The wrap is original and while it isn’t completely shot, it isn’t pretty. I’m tempted to recover it and have been looking at “Jammin Sammy’s”. Any opinions on the quality of their product there would be appreciated. Suggestions for other suppliers also appreciated. Tape or Glue? I need to do this myself and would like to avoid glue unless necessary. I am not looking for a cheap wrap. Also, not that I will ever sell this kit, but does replacing the wrap have a negative impact on re-sale? Maybe I’m watching too much Antiques Road Show…
    Thanks, MichaelJ

User Info Menu

MichaelJ, welcome to Drum Chat. I will leave this for others with more experience to comment. I'm sure you'll get some good advice shortly. Enjoy the Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The wrap quality won't take away any value from the resale, unless you get a custom wrap done they go for pretty cheap. You should try to stay away from doing it yourself unless you know how to wrap a set well. If anything goes wrong during the process, air bubbles, loose pieces, and wads of glue could really effect the sound of your drums. I suggest you take it to a music store and get it done professionally. Don't know about yours, but my local Guitar Center does custom set wraps for about $140, customs for $300-$500.
    Welcome to the chat.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

if you are NEVER going to sell the kit, then go ahead and re wrap it. if you want the value to stay up i would keep it original. the ringo kits are worth quite a bit to the right people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    The wrap quality won't take away any value from the resale, unless you get a custom wrap done they go for pretty cheap. You should try to stay away from doing it yourself unless you know how to wrap a set well. If anything goes wrong during the process, air bubbles, loose pieces, and wads of glue could really effect the sound of your drums. I suggest you take it to a music store and get it done professionally. Don't know about yours, but my local Guitar Center does custom set wraps for about $140, customs for $300-$500.
    Welcome to the chat.
    Cool, Guitar Center can put on new wraps? Do they have a good selection or is it better to find your own for them to do? Do they do drum restoration as well? I would think so but I'm not sure. Thanks for the advice! Blessings.....

User Info Menu

Not sure about restoration, but they do clean pieces for you and such for a price. As a matter of fact, I had gotten my snare a little beat up and took it in, my buddy there filled the dented and damaged area with some product and sanded it, I got it the next day. As for wraps, they have somewhat of a selection, all I saw were pearl, satin, plaid, and multicolor at mine.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy