Thread: Cymbal Cases- HardCase Update

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal Cases- HardCase Update

Hi Guys...

Didn't really think this needed a thread but wasn't sure where else to put it, so here it is.

Ive been looking at picking up a Hard Cymbal case for while, but being as ive only had ZXT's and a stagg (wuhan style) china ive not been too fussed. But since i got a Zildjian 20" medium 'A' ride last nice on ebay i figure i should think/look harder.

The new 22" hardcase has got straps like the drum cases, but the 20" case still has the centre screw thingy (which ive heard mixed things on). What do you guys think to the two? And why didn't they change it on the 20" case too i wonder
    Its not what your playing, its what your playing

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal Cases- HardCase Update

I've got a couple of center screw cases, and I'm not having any issues with them. Like making sure I don't tighten the wingnut too tight when mounting the cymbals on a stand, I also don't over tighten the wingnut on the cymbal case. On the other hand, I haven't seen the cases with the straps, so I can't comment on one style being better than the other. Is there a big difference in the price of the different cases?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I've got a couple of center screw cases, and I'm not having any issues with them. Like making sure I don't tighten the wingnut too tight when mounting the cymbals on a stand, I also don't over tighten the wingnut on the cymbal case. On the other hand, I haven't seen the cases with the straps, so I can't comment on one style being better than the other. Is there a big difference in the price of the different cases?
    I've also heard mixed things about the center screw mount, make sure there is padding or a rubber sleeves or somethings on that screw mount so theirs no metal to metal contact. Even with that though, I'm unsure how I feel about letting the weight of the cymbal rest on one spot near the bell. It just seems like that's begging for a keyhole. I may be totally wrong, I've never personally used one, and some people say that they work fine. But like you said, there are mixed reviews about it, and some people say it's dangerous for the cymbal. But then again if you take Pastor Bob's advice, you may have no issues at all.

Do you plan on gigging, or transporting and moving the cymbals a a lot? If your not, then there's also some great soft cymbal bags that would work great. Usually they come with sleeves so no cymbal touches the other, and they have plenty of storage room. If the bag is going to be sitting in a single room for awhile, the soft bags are also less bulky and will take up less space. And technically, there is no risk of that center screw mount. I have a soft cymbal bag that i keep in my drum room, and so far so good.

If your set on those two however, I say do a little more research, on that center mount, and consider that the center mounted one is also a bigger size, so if you ever invest in a big ride, or anything of that nature, those extra 2 inches will help you out. As for the straps if you think that is more beneficial then possibly look into that one
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    I've also heard mixed things about the center screw mount, make sure there is padding or a rubber sleeves or somethings on that screw mount so theirs no metal to metal contact.
    Both of my cymbal hardcases have a plastic sleeve over the center post/bolt, so there's never any metal to metal contact unless the case is over loaded. Also, there's cymbal felt between every cymbal, so again, it's well protected. Like I said, though, I can't compare it against a case with straps, because I've never seen one.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Both of my cymbal hardcases have a plastic sleeve over the center post/bolt, so there's never any metal to metal contact unless the case is over loaded. Also, there's cymbal felt between every cymbal, so again, it's well protected. Like I said, though, I can't compare it against a case with straps, because I've never seen one.
    I've a number of cymbal cases and bags. A 22" version of the Hardcase like what gottdonn13 mentioned, a 22" Ragone case with the straps, a 22" Zildjian hard shell case with a centre bolt (I've owned that for well over 20+ years now) and a 24" Gewa padded cymbal bag with a few external pockets for smaller cymbals. Like you PB, both my hard shell cases have a centre bolt with a plastic sleeve surrounding it, so there is no metal to metal contact. If I've had no keyholing of any cymbal being put into that Zildjian case over the years of rehearsing, transporting and gigging, then I have to wonder why some people have mixed views on such a design. Of course, the same type of case I might mention should not be used as a flight case for when you're flying on tours...that's a bit of different thing altogether.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I have two with center bolts........................no keyholing yet.................. kept cymbals in there for a long time with no ill-effects

User Info Menu

I only have a cymbal bag, and if you aren't transporting your cymbals a lot I'd recommend that. The one I have was about $20, not sure the brand but it has very thick padding, shoulder strap and an extra smaller pocket for hi-hats or splashes. If you were touring or something then a case is probably better but I've had this bag for years and it's still holding up really well.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the good responses.

I don't think i explained quite right though, in my tiredness last night!

I was more referring to the method of fixing lid to the main section.

In this first one, the centre bolt and yellow nut hold the lid on, which is what i am concerned about. Surely the edges could lift a bit, or more likely- the nut get lost!

This second one has the clips/straps that they use on the drum cases (my snare case is great), the lid also hinges rather than fuller detaching, and the centre screw 'locks' into the lid for more strength.

But this new system is only on the 22 case, not the 20 inch (Which beng as all my cymbals are going to be smaller than, im reluctant to get a bigger, more awkward, and space consuming case when unnecessary). Im not sure why they havent updated the smaller case too!

EDIT: I should probably have also added that ive got a descent bag now, and have been using it for 5/6 years, but recently our bands been playing more and more gigs, and our venues tend to have small rooms to literally pile your gear into off stage. We've also hired a minibus for a gig to London recently, and stuff was piled then so i feel its time to upgrade, as i'm getting a better cymbal
    Last edited by gottdonn13; 11-05-2013 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

update: Thought i ought to conclude this with a response i got from Hardcase to me e-mailing them asking why the difference in styles between the two cases. It make sense for the business i guess- though im still not sure which to get- i cant help feeling the smaller case with the big cases straps would be the best solution!

Hi Scott,

Many thanks for your question and great to hear you are looking to take more Hardcase products, it's a pleasure to have you as part of the global Hardcase familyJ

When we introduced both the HN9CYM22 and HN12CYM24, it was an opportunity to review the Hardcase cymbal case range options due to end user demand. However, this left the original 22" cymbal case (HN22C), which had been in operation since Hardcase began back in 1992, and what to do with the production equipment?

With the launch of two new cymbal case models, it was felt there was an opportunity to bring on board a third option suitable for 20" dia. cymbals. Demand was certainly there but numbers clearly identified that a 22" cymbal case would be the most prominent. So, after much deliberation and analysis of the data gathered, the obvious choice was to take the original cymbal case and give it a makeover. However, a suitable price point along with the costs to upgrade had to be considered hence straps, hinged lid or stacking features would not be part of the design. It was also decided to keep the product more streamlined and compact as feedback did identify a large percentage of end users using a 20” ride, crash plus a pair of hats only!

I can confirm that the centre spindle albeit slightly shorter than that used on both the 22" and 24" models along with the handle wheel are to the same specification.

The revised design has actually provide more successful than anticipated and do hope that you decide to consider adding this particular model to you case collection.

Once again, thank you so much for contacting Hardcase.

Kind regards