Thread: Overtone in my Bass Drum

User Info Menu

Default Overtone in my Bass Drum

I keep getting overtone in my bass drum that is too high. I've read several methods of dealing with this, but they don't seem to work that well. Anyone out there got some proven ideas to correct this? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Head
    I keep getting overtone in my bass drum that is too high. I've read several methods of dealing with this, but they don't seem to work that well. Anyone out there got some proven ideas to correct this? Thanks!
    More info. would be helpful:
    1. Do you use a pillow?
    2. Do you tune the bass drum tight?
    3. Are you the one that got your sister pregnant?

(oops, wait a minute...scratch the last one)

User Info Menu

I use a small blanket in the bass drum, what i do is bunch the blanket up in the middle but let it touch the beater head slightly but I don't let it touch the other head at all....then i tune both heads about the same tightness as i do the toms..which is fairly tight...but not too tight...

User Info Menu

If you let the blanket touch the front head slightly, it may take care of it.
    Do you have a hole cut in the front bass head?

User Info Menu

Remo M'uffle on the back head...a 3" strip of felt across the inside of the front head. If you have a hole cut in the front head, throw it away and buy a new one. You need the sound waves to vibrate between two membranes to create a tone. No,the mic does not need to be inside the drum to work. Is it inside your snare ? Make sure that drum is empty. Blankets are for Linus, not bass drums.
    Last edited by Boo; 04-23-2006 at 11:58 PM.

User Info Menu

the fact of the matter is.....every drum is diff....so u have to find what works best for your set up..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    If you have a hole cut in the front head, throw it away and buy a new one. You need the sound waves to vibrate between two membranes to create a tone. No,the mic does not need to be inside the drum to work. Is it inside your snare ? Make sure that drum is empty. Blankets are for Linus, not bass drums.
    Au contraire oh opinonated one , there are numerous variables in this world that support the old adage, "there is more than one way to skin a cat". Never had interested in skinning a cat mind you, but I do know a little something about drums.

Keep in mind, at least half of the drummers out there are not concerned with tone in their bass drum. They're more interested in a dry, bottom end "thump". At that's not to say that tone cannot be produced with a small hole in the front head. In fact, there used to be "no" head on that side (in the 70's anyway) until drummers started desiring more "body" (and tone) in the bass drum. So someone came up with a compromise. They thought, "Put the head back on but leave some of it out". So they cut a very large hole in the head and it pleased a lot of drummers. The head manufacturers even as far back as 20 years ago were making bass heads with large pre-cut holes in them.

So then a few years later, drummers wanted even more body and tone (without the boominess of the full head on the drum). So they figured out that if they made the hole smaller, it kept more air in the drum and gave them just the right tone, feel, and punch they were looking for. So now, probably as many as three quarters of the drummers out there are using this method. Manufacturers are pre-cutting smaller holes, there are hole cutting devices, bass drums are miked with holes, there are hole templates, etc. ...and thousands of drummers with pillows and blankets in their drums. Not because they get sleepy on the gig, but because after much experimentation through the years, that combination has given them the desired effect.

So the moral of this story Boo is ... you've got a hole in your head!

User Info Menu

do you guys think it is necasarry to read music in order to be a drummer?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0

It's not neccessary, however....reading music opens up soooo many more oportunities...for instance, say you wanted to get a job at a recording studio as a studio musician (must be able to read)....some bands also will use music so as to learn the music much faster...plus, it's great practice and if you learn to read i guarintee that your abilities will grow tremendously...also, if you ever want to teach drums, reading music gives you alot more tools to teach...there are alot more reasons to read also but that's just a few........HOWEVER....on the flip side, if ALL you do is read music then your music will not be very original...what i would recomend is learning to read music but don't rely on it...just use it to improve your own skills and then when some one gives you a piece of music just use it as a template for the song then go above and beyond the page and make it your own...

User Info Menu

Bla, Bla, Bla...If you're cutting a hole in your front head, you're greatly comprimising the potential of your musical instrument.
    Last edited by Boo; 04-29-2006 at 09:54 PM.

User Info Menu

fill with some kind of plastic tahst what my friend done and he plays heavy metal with these MEGA double kicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Overtone in my Bass Drum

Quote Originally Posted by lhebs0 View Post
    Not necessary any more than it is for a guitarist or singer, but you'll be automatically ahead of the game if you can. A drummer who can compose / read music is a less likely thing than a guitarist who can - so you'll be super-kick-arse.