Thread: Need opinions on this Ludwig set

User Info Menu

Default Need opinions on this Ludwig set

I'm going to look at it tomorrow. Obviously, it's an Accent, but it has a single tube Tom mount with L-rods and not the cheesy Pearl style arms. What is it? AND....would it be worth $250? It supposed to be like new and comes with a snare, stand, hi-hat stand, pedal and cymbal stand. I need an extra snare and hardware pack and was just about to spend $100 on a Sound Percussion 4pc hardware kit. I figure if I can get a whole drum kit for another $100-$150, it might be worth it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need opinions on this Ludwig set

I have a Accent tom I picked up a few months ago, and, going by that drum, I would sat that $250 isn't bad for the set.

User Info Menu

IMO, it looks well worth the money my cell phone is 175 a month

User Info Menu

$250 is a good deal on Accents but its not a "must buy" price.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Yeah it's a decent price, I w0uld offer him $200 and see what he says.. but it's worth $250.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I bought a set like that for my son about 6 years ago for $600 so $250 is not bad.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    $250 is a good deal on Accents but its not a "must buy" price.
    This was kind of my take on it....and I really don't NEED another set.
    Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    Yeah it's a decent price, I w0uld offer him $200 and see what he says.. but it's worth $250.
    I was told yesterday morning that I was the third person on the list that called, and that was only several hours after the guy posted the add. I figured they would be gone, but the guy sent me a message last night saying they were still available. I'm guessing the first two were "No Shows " or collectors looking for a vintage Ludwig score (like me).

I'm thinking they're Accent Customs...Power series maybe, due to the deep toms. I'll probably start my offer at $150 cash. Since I don't really need them, and they're not anything special, I can walk away without feeling bad.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have the same set, in black wrap. LC225 Accent Customs. I have played them for several years now. I bought them new thinking that it was a good kit to get back into playing after a 25 year retirement. They have turned out to be be an outstanding setup after a few changes such as replacing the metal kick hoops with wood, and putting coated Remo Ambassadors on all the heads.

I tried to download a couple of pics, but it wouldn't let me do it. If anyone wants to see what they look like, just check my profile albums, there are a few on there.
    Last edited by veafer; 11-05-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input guys! I looked at it tonight and passed on the deal. Didn't even make an offer, LOL. The hi-hat stand was bent, all the joints in the stands were messed up, and the reason the toms sit so low in the pic is because the mounting bracket on the bass was broke. It had the original heads as well. I WILL say that everything was actually in tune and the toms sounded really good....Even though the heads were original and full of dents. The snare sounded nice as well, but it had a coated Evans. I just wasn't "feelin'" it. To make it worse, the "seller" was a 12yr old kid who wanted to sell his drum kit to finance a new stereo for his room....while his mother supervised our conversation. It was very awkward, to say the least. There was NO WAY I was about to "barter" with a 12yr old boy. Instead, I explained to him and his mother the issues I found. I said it was better that someone with a limited budget who wants to learn drums purchase them, and not someone like me to use as a backup set.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys! I looked at it tonight and passed on the deal. Didn't even make an offer, LOL. The hi-hat stand was bent, all the joints in the stands were messed up, and the reason the toms sit so low in the pic is because the mounting bracket on the bass was broke. It had the original heads as well. I WILL say that everything was actually in tune and the toms sounded really good....Even though the heads were original and full of dents. The snare sounded nice as well, but it had a coated Evans. I just wasn't "feelin'" it. To make it worse, the "seller" was a 12yr old kid who wanted to sell his drum kit to finance a new stereo for his room....while his mother supervised our conversation. It was very awkward, to say the least. There was NO WAY I was about to "barter" with a 12yr old boy. Instead, I explained to him and his mother the issues I found. I said it was better that someone with a limited budget who wants to learn drums purchase them, and not someone like me to use as a backup set.
    Good move -- well-reasoned.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)