Drum Domains

Thread: Thoughts on the Yamaha Live Customs Oak

User Info Menu

Default Thoughts on the Yamaha Live Customs Oak

I'm going to be in the market for a new set here pretty soon and I just stumbled upon these, man they sound fabulous. I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with these or know anything about them.

I'm also looking at a Mapex Saturn Exotic as well....I was set on them looks and soundwise but the Live Customs have really made me reconsider.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thoughts on the Yamaha Live Customs Oak

If they sound anything like the previous oak custom line, then they're mighty fine drums. That said, I prefer the way that saturns sound. I might be biassed though.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    If they sound anything like the previous oak custom line, then they're mighty fine drums. That said, I prefer the way that saturns sound. I might be biassed though.
    that's why I'm torn, I really like both and they're both close to the same pricewise new. I guess it'll come down to hardware and resale possibly.

User Info Menu

Look at Sonor Ascent line too, Beech wood, sound incredible and once tuned they stay put. Saturns are sweet and the new colors are far and above that of Yamaha. The Live Oaks are nice as well, I played around on a set a few month's ago..Seem to be a lil more resonant than the MIJ Oak Customs. Nice problem to have and really can't go wrong with any of them. Keep us posted
    Last edited by MDK; 11-05-2013 at 09:17 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,12x9,16x16

Crush Sublime Birch 22x16, 12x8, 16x14

Sabian HHX 21" ride and AAX crashes, Zildjian 14" K hybrid hats

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Been thinking about that same set. I got to hear them live at a Buck Cherry concert in September Xavier Muriel was plying them and they sounded absolutley amazing!!! im a Huge Yamaha fan.

User Info Menu

I'm going to a Dave Weckl clinic next week, and I believe is is playing the Live Customs on all of his stops. I will report back what I think.
    Website with free full song transcriptions: redeyepercussion.com
    Youtube channel with covers, lessons, and product reviews: youtube.com/RedeyeSPR

User Info Menu

No personal experience, other than of people I have spoke to that have Oak Custom kits, they love and swear by them. Is the Oak Custom Live a new or different composition than previous oak Customs?
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    No personal experience, other than of people I have spoke to that have Oak Custom kits, they love and swear by them. Is the Oak Custom Live a new or different composition than previous oak Customs?
    from what I've read, there aren't as many plies but the plies are thicker, so that might be some difference, plus they're made in the Yamaha factory in China...I'm seeing these kits go for about $1800 for a 4pc, no snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    I'm going to a Dave Weckl clinic next week, and I believe is is playing the Live Customs on all of his stops. I will report back what I think.
    thanks

User Info Menu

got the call today my live customs are in at GC picking them up friday

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cc1918 View Post
    got the call today my live customs are in at GC picking them up friday
    You will definitely like them mucho, lotto.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    You will definitely like them mucho, lotto.