Thread: Steve Gadd fill in "I Gotta Try"

User Info Menu

Default Steve Gadd fill in "I Gotta Try"

Hi all, first time poster.

Listen to the intro fill for Michael McDonald's "I Gotta Try"; it's the first thing you hear in the track:

I hear it as sixteenth triplets, that much I'm confident about, but I'm curious if someone here can break it down in terms of which drums and what rudiments he's using to do this so I can learn. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    Duncan

User Info Menu

Default Re: Steve Gadd fill in "I Gotta Try"

Hi Duncan. Yea, it's sixteenth triplets. The fill starts on beat 3. The first 3 notes are on the snare (RLL) with the right accented and the two lefts are ghost notes. The next two notes are on the bass drum and the next two on the toms (right hand on the 2nd tom and left hand on the 1st tom). Then a crash (with the bass drum) on the "and" of 4.

By the way, I'm not sure how old you are but you might recognize the background vocals. It's Kenny Loggins! He co-wrote this song with Michael.

User Info Menu

Are you sure the toms-bass combos aren't flams? Kinda sounds like that to me, but I'm just listening to my weenie computer speakers...
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Thanks so much. And yes I do; I've heard Kenny's version, but I prefer this one personally.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Hi Duncan. Yea, it's sixteenth triplets. The fill starts on beat 3. The first 3 notes are on the snare (RLL) with the right accented and the two lefts are ghost notes. The next two notes are on the bass drum and the next two on the toms (right hand on the 2nd tom and left hand on the 1st tom). Then a crash (with the bass drum) on the "and" of 4.

By the way, I'm not sure how old you are but you might recognize the background vocals. It's Kenny Loggins! He co-wrote this song with Michael.

User Info Menu

Slinglander, I too made this assumption based on what I heard through average speakers. However when I played the fill as a flam it just didn't feel or sound like I wanted it to. It worked but there was just something off. Then I asked other drummers and a teacher about it and for it to be written out and it was 16ths. After playing it like that it just flowed and sounded and felt good. It also helped that I have listened to this song (album) many times on much better speakers and equipment and the way Tom describes it is the way it sounds on a good system.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG