Thread: Got no idea about sound.

User Info Menu

Default Got no idea about sound.

I've just bought a new drum kit (Peace DP101). Well, of course it's a beginner kit. I was taking a look at some videos on YouTube related to tuning and realized that there's a lot of emphasis on sound produced by each piece (rack toms in particular). Now I have not a first clue about sound and what "proper sound" is supposed to be like and I'm really confused about how to tune it.

Any tips on the kind of sound the toms should produce after being properly tuned?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got no idea about sound.

Well, for starters your smaller tom should have the higher tone, right? Then the tones get lower as the toms get bigger. And they progress down in tone a couple of notes to the next tom. But it mostly depends on what sounds good to you. It depends on what kind of music you prefer to an extent as well. Also in the first place, since it's a beginner kit, the batter heads that came with them are for lack of a better word, crap. First I would think what kind of music your going to play for the most part, then check out the on line store sites and read all the feedback on each type of head. Remo Pinstripes are a popular head for rock type music playing as they have a muffling ring built in, is a 2 ply head for strength, and they produce a nice lower type rock thud sound. Your snare batter head needs to be changed out as well. Not to mention your bass drum batter head. You'd be surprised at what a difference an after market head can do for any kit. You should be okay with still using your stock reso heads for now. Unless of course you already know this and have after market heads on it already. On tuning I could write a novel on how to tune a drum, but it would be on how I tune a drum. There is no textbook correct way in achieving this. It's all personal preference on what sound your trying to achieve. But the good news is that there are tons of different "how to tune a drum" methods for all the different drums there are on YouTube to get you started. Just follow what they are doing and you should be able to achieve what your looking for after a lot of trail and error. It's not easy. And for someone new it can be frustrating as hell. But keep at it and don't give up. It's not rocket science. If you follow the directions it will work out for you. Welcome to DC and good luck, man.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 11-10-2013 at 01:14 AM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

It's such a subjective subject and you won't figure it out right away. Grab some songs and start listening to the drums. Pick the sounds you like and start moving toward that direction with regard to your own drums. Just keep in mind that it can be difficult as there are so many variables to drum sound and the studios often use several processors and filters and so on to beef up a recording.

Check out drum tuning tips over at DrumTips.com

More Drum Tuning threads at DrumChat:

drum tuning dvds

Drum Tuning

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ead-20516.html

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...rum-25037.html

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ing-19881.html

Drum Tuning by Intervals

Drum Tuning to Notes

Tuning a drumkit

User Info Menu

This really helped me in the beginning
    http://www.menet.umn.edu/~kgeisler/Tuning.pdf
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I went through the same mind bending experience to figure out the sound of my first kit. I found tuning the drums to its lowest pitch is a great start. I found this to be the fastest way to accomplish some sound out of your drums.
    Losen all lugs till there is no tension on the hoop
    Finger tight all the lugs
    With a key turn 1/2 turn and tap edges to get the tension equal all around.
    This sound is the lowest and from there you in increments of 1/8 of a turn at a time you will hear the drum changing sound.
    Make sure you have a pillow under the reso to muffle it as you tune the batter.
    I found my drums ( toms ) sound great at 1 full tun on batter and 1 1/2 on reso.
    You have to experiment. Good luck and hope this helps.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 11-11-2013 at 10:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Like the ones above me said, their are a lot of suggested ways and videos of how to tune your drums, however realize that the high quality sound you hear on the radio, or in songs in general, aren't usually realistic unless you have good mics, top notch heads, and patience. Just go with the sound you want and if you like it, then it's all that matters.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15