Thread: Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple (Pearl MRX)

User Info Menu

Default Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple (Pearl MRX)

Hey guys, I’ve had this kit for around half a year now, and I figure I might as well write a review for it. Here it is, my baby, my Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple. This kit, while discontinued is often on the used market( where I got it), so I figured I might as well review it. The kit was discontinued in 2007 and are about equivalent to the newer Pearl Master MCX’s. They are made out of 6 ply maple, and sound absolutely beautiful. The sizes are 22x17,10x8,12x9,14x12 and 15x13. I also came across a 5.5x14 matching snare.
    Hardware:
    The hardware is very beefy and well constructed. The rims are all diecast and are absolutely amazing when doing rimshots. The bass drum spurs are very well made as well as the claws. The only problem I have with the hardware are the pearl optimounts. While these mounts are fine for the smaller toms, it actually dropped my 15x13 floor tom over night. I will have to replace them as soon as possible.
    Finish:
    The shells are absolutely beautiful. The finish (I’m not sure what type) is an orangey amber lacquer that really brings out the wood grain. The drum finish was in brilliant condition, albeit with one ding or two on the bass drum.
    Toms:
    The toms are amazing sounding. The heads that came with them (EC2s, I believe) are a little thicker than I like, but despite that the sound is incredibly punchy and resonant. The 10x8 tunes up beautifully, and when I crank it high enough it gets the Stewart Copeland sound I happen to be in love with. . I have some trouble tuning the 15x13, but I can get it to sound thunderous and powerful when needed. The toms are absolutely amazing sounding. Very punchy drums, which is a little strange for maple, but the heads probably contribute much to that.
    Snare:
    The snare is quite possibly the best sounding drum on the kit. I tend to crank up my snares incredibly high, and the snare gives the best pop possible, and is absolutely ideal for the music I play. I find that the snares tuning range is a bit limited, but honestly, I don’t really care simply because I like the range it has. The snare wires are solid and the throw off is good as well. The snare did not actually come with the kit, I just happened to find the exact same snare with the exact same finish on the snare rack at my local shop. (Funny how things work like that).
    Bass Drum:
    The Bass drum sounds incredibly powerful when unmuffled, which I guess some like, but I am one of those horrible, horrible people that put a pillow in the bass drum. (sorry) The drum sounds great muffled, and I am still able to get power behind the sound, as well as the slap against the head.

Overall, the kit is was brilliant. It sounds awesome and looks awesome. The previous owner was in one of the airforce bands, so for the intense gigging I’m sure he put it through, it was in great condition. All the bearing edges and shell construction were in great condition, and there is no better kit. The kit set me back 800 dollars used, and there is no better kit in that price range. Sorry the review was a bit rushed, I;ll see if I can get some sound recordings.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple (Pearl MRX)

You are describing exactly what my MCX sound like same heads but different configuration. My sizes are 12,13,16 18x22 and matching snare 14x6.5. Love this maple kit and mine is in Chestnut Fade. Can't go wrong with the Masters. May I suggest the EC frosted with reverse dot on you snare. Amazing head for any snare IMO. Thanks for the revue. Pics of your kit would be nice.

User Info Menu

I STRONGLY agree with MCX, that pics would be nice.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

There are some pictures here http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...5.html?t=28745 But I'll try to see if I can get some newer ones
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

I remember that kit now. Beautiful finish and a great deal that was.