Thread: what tools to get for cymbal repair?

User Info Menu

Default what tools to get for cymbal repair?

Hi, I'd like to repair a Zildjian medium/thin cymbal that has a square 2" x 3" chunk at the edge. I'll have to make a semi circular cut on the edge. I tried a coping hand saw from Harbor Freight but it didn't do well. I was thinking about a rotary tool similar to a Dremel. Dremels are expensive. Is there a less expensive rotary tool that anyone has tried, or should I try some other type of tool? My son uses this cymbal for a crash. Any advice is appreciated. Don

User Info Menu

Default Re: what tools to get for cymbal repair?

I've used a pneumatic die grinder with a cut off wheel. I run the wheel into some wax before cutting because the cymbal material is gummy and builds up on the wheel and will not cut good. This was a cymbal that had a crack along the lathed edge about an inch or so in. The compressor I was using was kinda weak so it would slow down the wheel. There's a link to see the cymbal being used. It's the one by the hats.

Last edited by Olimpass; 11-11-2013 at 07:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks very much for the video Olimpass. I don't have a compressor. I have an electric drill, don't know how many rpm's it is. I could try that. The edge of the cymbal is quite thin though. Very much appreciated, Don

User Info Menu

Harbor Freight sells a dremel style tool for $20, it gots hot quickly but if you aren't planning on using it beyond hobbies it should hold up fine.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I use one of these:

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

that was good, NR! :-)
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

one mans garbage can be another mans treasure.....

User Info Menu

Lowes sells the Dremel tool for around 55 bucks - I found one at a pawn shop for 20 bucks - had to replace the brushes - cost me 5 bucks and 30 minutes of time and it works really good. Repaired a cracked Zildjian K Dark thin 17" crash without breaking a sweat and been playing it for a year now.

So check out your local pawn shops for Dremel tools - and I think there are other companies who produce a similar tool to the Dremel tool ...
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Lowes sells the Dremel tool for around 55 bucks - I found one at a pawn shop for 20 bucks - had to replace the brushes - cost me 5 bucks and 30 minutes of time and it works really good. Repaired a cracked Zildjian K Dark thin 17" crash without breaking a sweat and been playing it for a year now.

So check out your local pawn shops for Dremel tools - and I think there are other companies who produce a similar tool to the Dremel tool ...
    This. I saw one at wallyworld for $25 new today. You need to buy the small cut off wheels separtately or a small kit of various stuff (wheels, stones, discs..etc.). It's kinda bulky the model I've seen. They do have smaller hand held models too. There is a tiny mandrel to lock in with the chuck that'll hold those little wheels. It should work fine but please be sure to wear safety glasses.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 11-11-2013 at 07:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll check the pawn shops, Harbor Frieght and Wall Fart and get one of the cheaper models as I won't be using it much. Thanks Again, Don

User Info Menu

I have a low tier model dremel from lowes. I feel the variable speed is worth the few extra bucks. It does exactly what I need it to do. Which is rotate at about 10k RPMs a minute. :D
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

A good set of metal snips will do the trick just go slow and then file edge when done. Works really well. Cut out 1/2 moon on edge of cymbal.

User Info Menu

Nothing works as well as a dremel tool for this application. First with a fiberglass reinforced cut off wheel, then a high speed metal cutting bit, then a grinding stone wheel, then a steel wire brush wheel. I understand the need to have to try and save a busted cymbal. I used to buy cracked pro end cymbals when I first started out. Not that you are just starting out. Your cymbal will never be the same, but it's better than nothing, right? There are tons of other applications around the house for a dremel tool. A stripped out phillips head, or hex head screw can be turned into a flat head screw. Grind off something metal that is to long. Hobbies, arts and crafts, carving & Engraving, sanding, cutting, grinding & sharpening, cleaning & polishing, etc. Plus you might have to fix another cymbal later on. Good luck.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Old thread but I wanted to thank you guys. I borrowed my son's dremel and followed wolvie56's instructions on my son's 20" A Zildjian. Wasn't difficult at all. I tried the cymbl afterwards and sounded a bit gongy. I turned it upside down on the stand and ir sounded pretty good as an effects/crash cymbal. Not as trashy as a china. Hard to describe. my son added it to his set as a crash/effects cymbal. Thanks again, Don

User Info Menu

I would be completely lost without my Dremel. One of my best "spur of the moment" purchases. It has fixed doors, created custom gauge panels from plastic, ported and polished the intake & exhaust ports and combustion chambers on a Mazda 1.6L head and cut and formed new bearing edges on several sets of drum shells.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    A good set of metal snips will do the trick just go slow and then file edge when done. Works really well. Cut out 1/2 moon on edge of cymbal.
    Metal tin snips worked great for me too! And then just hit it with a little metal sandpaper.

I took a cheap broken china and cut it down to like a 5 inch china and is now one of my most interesting cymbals, I love the little thing!

User Info Menu

I love all my power tools and air compressor. Best decision to buy in garage period.

I have a couple of cymbals I should try this on. Nice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I use one of these:

lol
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    Metal tin snips worked great for me too! And then just hit it with a little metal sandpaper.

I took a cheap broken china and cut it down to like a 5 inch china and is now one of my most interesting cymbals, I love the little thing!
    Here's that little China, this little guy rings out so cool.