Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you do this trade DW/Sonor?

User Info Menu

Default Would you do this trade DW/Sonor?

This guy has an 90's DW collectors and he asked me if I am interested in a trade/cash for my sonor. He is asking $2500 for everything in the pics. I have not seen too many 8 lug collectors BD but I think it is a 20" although I will have to verify that. Any DW guys feel free to share your info and thoughts on this kit. I am thinking to offer my sonor and $500 cash for the dw's.. I really do not need any of the cymbals or pedals.. what do you think?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Would you do this trade DW/Sonor?

Hey man! Including the snare, too? What type is that snare? I gather that $2500 includes the pedals, stands and cymbals (even if you don't need them)? The cash price seems just a touch high to me, BUT the 5000 pedals are really good, from what I hear. What are the sizes of all the shells? Can't help you on a Sonor comparison, though, sorry.

I paid less than $2.5K for my NEW Collectors Finish Ply 10, 12, 16 and 20 kick (and yes, my 20" has 8 lugs), but that was without hardware, cymbals or pedals.
    Last edited by cabasner; 11-12-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Find out if those are Keller Shell DWs.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Find out if those are Keller Shell DWs.
    Is there a way to tell by looking? I can see they have re-rings. He said they are from 1997.. I would think they have a serial number in them unless DW did not always do that.

Cab, you got a hell of a deal on those..I doubt I would be so lucky : )
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

IMO your Sonor is a nicer kit. If this still all about mounting your toms, just go get a mount put on your kick drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    ...Cab, you got a hell of a deal on those..I doubt I would be so lucky : )...
    You are correct, sir! Even when I added the 14" floor tom to that kit, I was STILL under $3K. I don't know how it worked out like that, but was I lucky? You bet!!

Just out of curiosity, what's the story on your Sonor kit? What series/models, sizes and finish?
    Last edited by cabasner; 11-12-2013 at 03:10 PM.
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    IMO your Sonor is a nicer kit. If this still all about mounting your toms, just go get a mount put on your kick drum.
    Yeah I am leaning that way, it really sounds fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what's the story on your Sonor kit? What series/models, sizes and finish?
    It's under the drums for sale thread here.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ood-29904.html
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

So youre paying $1100 (your kit) + $500 extra, $1600 for the 4 piece shell pack? thats a pretty good deal. I'd obviously check them out in person first.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Order a Sonor mount or gibraltar makes them, take it to drum shop and it will be waaaay less than $500.

User Info Menu

Just listened to your for sale video, and I must say that I'd think twice about giving those Sonors up, especially if your only issue is having BD mounted rack toms. I'd give some thought to getting such a mount installed and keeping them! Of course, I love my DWs so I'm biased, but I'd keep your current kit.

User Info Menu

Not to beat a dead horse, but keep your kit

User Info Menu

Not trying to be a smarta$$ here, but I would keep those gorgeous SONOR shells AND the virgin bass drum as is.................find a good solid rack to put the toms on a sturdy mount and go play and have fun.

Why would that guy want to get rid of his DW kit ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Don't do it. Simple

User Info Menu

Don't do it...you don't want those big hubcappy-looking mount thingies anyway!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Keep the Sonors. Get tom mounts and do it yourself. I've mounted BD tom mounts a few times. It's not rocket science, just take your time with the measurements.

I mounted the Slingerland Set-O-Matic on my Ludwigs 40 some years ago along with the ride cymbal mount, and they are still going strong.

The Set-O-Matic is light weight by todays standards, but it's been holding a 14X10 tom for all that time.

Look for different tom mounts and don't worry about this "Virgin" BD stuff.

Hate to say this, but on top of everything else, the Sonors are a better looking set.

User Info Menu

Those would be keller shells. I would not trade. But that's just me.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Don't do it...you don't want those big hubcappy-looking mount thingies anyway!
    LOL !

The DW Collector shell is almost an exact copy of the drum that Gretsch USA has provided for five decades...............thus, DW is certainly a very good and high-quality product and they have proven an exceptional marketing strategy that is in front of all other drum-makers.

However, as Slinglander has pointed out, the DW rim mounts and lugs, especially the older & bigger styles, are less than beautiful.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I just cyber-stalked you on this site and looked through some of your previous threads. Here are my thoughts:

I'm not a huge Sonor fan (I actually have the Sonor Bop kit, but it's mainly for target practice). In addition, I'm a fan of the DW Collector's Series drums. Granted, I love my Pork Pies, but if mine were ever stolen, I may just have to go for a set of DWs. Even with all of this said, I would keep your Sonor drums. I love the look of a virgin kick. They sound absolutely killer. In addition, having mounted toms on stands is something that should be pretty easy to get used to. If you've got $500 available, you can get very substantial hardware that should hold your toms in place. Also, take advantage of memory locks as well.

Best of luck!

User Info Menu

That dw isn't worth 2500, that's practically new price. That's about a 1200-1500 dollar shell set, 200 dollar pedals. older dw stands? at most 85-100 bucks a piece, and I see 1 of them. max I'd pay in dollars is 1800 bucks for the lot.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Keep the Sonors.

User Info Menu

That is a high price for an older DW kit..................plus, it looks like an 18"kick

That being said, I would trade if you could add less cash................maybe $200..................but I love my DW kit.

User Info Menu

I'm not positive on how to determine whether they are DW shells or Keller shells.

but DW started making their own shells in 1997 so that means the ones in question are probably DW

BUT they also would have had to burn through their old stock shells too.... so they could be either one...

If they are Keller shells I would pass, if they are DW I'd probably play them both and let my ears decide.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Decided to keep her, local drum shop I bought it from is gonna add a sonor 400 series 2 tom rack mount to the bass drum for $125 parts and labor. which is pretty much just the cost of the parts. Than I will be done with it, great sounding gigging kit the way I want it.

I am sure you are all just as happy as me because you wont be seeing anymore would you trade threads from me
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Decided to keep her, local drum shop I bought it from is gonna add a sonor 400 series 2 tom rack mount to the bass drum for $125 parts and labor. which is pretty much just the cost of the parts. Than I will be done with it, great sounding gigging kit the way I want it.

I am sure you are all just as happy as me because you wont be seeing anymore would you trade threads from me
    Good call. Have fun with it.

User Info Menu

Hey Machine, you're gonna de-virgin the bass drum huh? Cool that you decided to keep the Sonor kit. After the Yamaha Oak Custom you returned, I was hoping for a quick resolve after your issues with the virgin kick drum. Glad it worked out for you!!