Thread: books

User Info Menu

Default books

Im trying to really sink myself and give drumming 100% .
    Besides taking lessons I was wondering if there was any good books that is out there that will help or books that is just interesting reads about drumming.

I was also wondering if there is any good monthly magazines?

Thanks

Allan

User Info Menu

george lawrence stones' "stick control"

User Info Menu

There's a fair variety of good drumming mags out there. I've always been a pretty big fan of Modern Drummer, they seem to cover just about every genre and always have a host of good articles every month. I'm thinking about subscribing.

Aside from MD, there's also Drum! and uhh... well there's another one too, but the name has slipped my mind. But definately check out those two.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Here' a good link to check out.....http://store.tigermix.com/drumbooks.html
    Check the whole site it has pretty amazing drum related stuff in there.

As for books go (to repeat funkymc) George Lawrence Stone's "Stick Control" is a great hand book. Also try "Syncopation" by Ted Reed. Both are considered a staple and a must have drummer book. They don't have to be only for hands. You can apply the same stuff to any limbs that you wish....another staple drumset book "Realistic Rock" by Carmine Appice.

There's plenty of good drum videos as well. "Groove Essentials" by Tommy Igoe has all kinds of grooves to learn and the video comes with a book to follow. I could ramble and ramble about this but go to your local store and ask around.

What are you looking to learn....Drumset? Rudiments? Fills? Rhythms? Just curious I hope this helps. Blessings.......