Thread: Dave Weckl Clinic/Yamaha Live Custom Report

User Info Menu

Default Dave Weckl Clinic/Yamaha Live Custom Report

Last night I attended a Dave Weckl clinic at Sweet Water Sound in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. I'm sure many of you are aware of his amazing talent and feel. This is obviously subjective, but I believe him to be the best player that has ever lived. I have seen him play live in the past several times, but on this occasion I was the first one to arrive for seating and was able to get in the front row, about 15 feet away from his main kit. It was an awesome display and great time despite some truly asinine questions during the Q/A section.

Dave currently plays the PHX Phoenix kits, but Yamaha has him on the new Live Customs for this clinic tour, which commemorates 30 years of him being a Yamaha artist. There is also a very limited run of special brass signature snares coming out this year with his double strainer setup.

Live Custom Oak report - They set up 2 kits, a bop 18/12/14 which was mic'ed with a Beta 52 on the kick and a large diaphragm overhead only, and his standard 10/12/14/16/22 close mic'ed. I was close enough to be able to hear them both without sound support. The oak kick drum is monstrous - just a massively huge boom from the 18" (unmuffled) and a nice tight thud from the 22 with his remo muffling system in it. The toms on both kits had a very clear, punchy attack and a somewhat short sustain. This is consistent with this kit being marketed for live applications where long sustain would get covered up by other instruments anyway. I would rather hear soloing on a maple kit with a bunch of resonance, but for what they are geared for, I think Yamaha has done well with their first Chinese made kit. I was able to inspect it up close before and after the show and all the hardware and fittings look like typical durable Yamaha stuff.

I didn't intend to take any pictures, so didn't bring a camera, but then couldn't resist snapping a few with my iPhone.

From my seat:

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dave Weckl Clinic/Yamaha Live Custom Report

Sweet Water sells a huge amount of stuff online and they have a picture window into their warehouse where you can see how it operates. Very cool:

I was able to get my Weckl signature snare signed on the inner shell. I've had it since 1989 and still play it out regularly:

User Info Menu

Awesome. Looks like that snare became a little more valuable.

User Info Menu

Cool..............great post.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Shane that's pretty cool man! Was it your birthday recently??

User Info Menu

Wow! Being able to see Dave up close and in person for a clinic & walking away with your Weckl signature snare signed by the man himself. That's awesome Shane!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Thanks gentlemen. Yesterday was my b-day, so I did have a much better day than if I had stayed at work. I suspect the drum is probably worth less in resale value now since the signing is personalized, but I've never had any thoughts of selling it. I think the personal note will be dear to me for the life of the drum.

If you get a chance, check out one of these clinics. They are totally free and well worth your time. I think they said this was only the 3rd stop, so check out Weckl's website and see if they are coming close.

User Info Menu

Great post but that kit is not Yamahas first chinese produced drum kit. The stage custom all birch kit has been made in china for a few years now. Also great pics!

User Info Menu

Good stuff Shane................wish he was coming down south anytime soon, but his calendar doesn't say so.

I haven't been to a clinic since the late eighties................I think it's time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    I suspect the drum is probably worth less in resale value now since the signing is personalized, but I've never had any thoughts of selling it.
    Sorry, I meant more valuable to you.

User Info Menu

Happy belated birthday! nice pics congrats on the signature its really great when you score an autograph

User Info Menu

Happy birthday, shane

User Info Menu

Was going to start my own thread but figured I would just revive this one. I saw This same clinic last night in Portsmouth, NH and WOW.. I know of Dave Weckl and have seen many video's but to sit right beside him and watch him work so effortlessly and spot on perfect was truly amazing.

He played a Live oak custom with Sabian HHX cymbals that accompanied the playing perfectly. The kit had a 22" BD, he did say he usually has 2 kits set up at these clinics with one being an 18" kick but space was a premium at this location so only the 1 kit was set up.

He told a few stories and answered a few questions, some were good others were asinine as previously stated.

He was also using a new snare and BD muffler system prototype that was really nice. You can see them (white) in some of the pics. They basically sit on the head and when you hit it they pop off the head to allow for the attack but then a spring quicly and gently lays it back on the head to quiet the overtones. Quite a noticeable difference when he played it on and off.

Here are some pics, truly a great drummer and great person as well.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

some more pics, I had a great view. Wish i could have recorded some video but they asked us not too.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Dave Weckl is one of my top favorite players.. mostly cause his technique is so on point and his rudiments are to kill for..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Dave Weckl is one of my top favorite players.. mostly cause his technique is so on point and his rudiments are to kill for..
    Yeah someone asked him about rudiments while playing and he said he never tries to play a rudiment while playing. Never enters his mind, that is for the practice pad.

Like he played something that was awesome for 2 measures, stopped and said I could not tell you if that was a 5 stroke roll or a paradiddle, all I can tell you is that it works...LOL great guy.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I got to see Weckl play with the Chick Corea Elektric Band in '86 or '87 in a small intimate setting.............caberet seating with our own barmaid............excellent.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

MDK, you guys were so close to Dave's kit, that's amazing!! Thanks for posting up the pics. The photo of both of you is something to keep for sure.