Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about a new Ludwig Black Beauty

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thinking about a new Ludwig Black Beauty

Well, here it is! Just arrived this afternoon. I put a new batter head on it right away, left the Ludwig reso head in place. Really awful pictures, but enough to avoid the "didn't happen" comments It's really cool...will take awhile to understand the nuances of it, but it surely is LOUD! I'm thrilled.

I now understand the concerns people have voiced about the snare throw-off on this drum. It's seriously complicated device for such a simple function. It works fine for me, but I've got a Trick throw-off on the way...

Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Very nice!

User Info Menu

shes a beauty ,, im sure you'll love it .. good going.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Don't change anything. That throw-off is what makes the Black Beauty Super Sensitive what it is, 1 of the most sought after drums out there.

That snare has some use on it for a new snare.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 12-08-2013 at 03:54 AM. Reason: ===

User Info Menu

A few more (better) picture of the new Black Beauty... And yes, I know I've committed a bad thing by taking these out at the pool...a recent thread asked why people shoot their drums next to pools. In my case, my whole back yard is pool, so I don't have much choice!

Last edited by cabasner; 12-08-2013 at 02:00 PM.
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

A few more...

I couldn't help but include my beautiful Corgi girl, Violet, in the background...even more pretty than my new drum!

Last edited by cabasner; 12-08-2013 at 01:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    Congrats on the BB... I have kind of been looking at those myself every once in a while. Looking forward to your feedback after you get it.

Regarding all your new gear... you have been getting some really awesome stuff... congrats! I am not one of those guys that think you don't deserve the high quality gear just because you haven't been playing too long. I started drums later in life. While I don't consider myself a newbie, I am definitely not in the crowd of the many seasoned veterans we are fortunate to have on this site. I busted my arse to put myself through engineering school and to be in a position to afford nicer gear than many who have played way longer than me. Did I pay my dues? I think so, they were just different dues

I think the only risk you may have is that as your playing and ears mature (as a drummer) your tastes and needs may change. And after acquiring all that gear, you may wish you had got something else. Not saying it will happen, just a possibility. But GAS must go on!

So, don't worry about it if someone gives you a hard time about getting nice gear...if you are in a position to do so, do it.
    kickinit: I appreciate your observations; it's one of the things I love about this place is the variety of opinions and thoughts people have. I too am an engineer, and I've worked hard for any and all material things I have. I have guitars and basses that are considered by many, the best of the best, and far outstrip the ability that I will EVER have, even if I devoted the rest of my life, full time, to improving. Still, there is, for me, some amazing intangible to hold (or sit behind) some of the best equipment that can be had. As one of my musical instrument suppliers once told me, it's all good if the instrument inspires you. I must agree.

One of the reasons I have chosen the equipment I have is because, in my opinion, it's timeless; maple shells, the new BB, and, arguably, my DW Sabian Vault Edge snare. My Pearl Demon direct drive pedals were what I needed for functional reasons; I would have been happy to go with a cheaper alternative, IF I could have found something that worked as well. I figure, in the unlikely event that my taste DOES change, I should be able to find new homes for the equipment I have without too horrendous of a financial hit, and find other alternatives. For now, I'm thrilled! But I reserve the right to add, or change, my toys, in the future.

I already know that I will lust for exotic wood shells until I own some, whether they be DW or some other line. In my short time with the Finish Ply shells I currently have, I've already bumped them to the point where exotics would have had some significant dents/scratches. I don't know how much more careful I could be, other than now, I believe I've got my setup pretty well finalized. I've got a rack, so maybe I'd run less risk of bumping things while rearranging my setup. I know I'd just die if I put even a tiny booboo in an exotic drum shell I did that once to a brand new custom shop guitar on the first day I had it. I have never picked up that guitar since then without thinking about the dent! Sorry for going so far off track...
    Last edited by cabasner; 12-13-2013 at 04:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Looks great! I nabbed a BB a few months back and love it. I replaced the throw-off on mine though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VI952 View Post
    Looks great! I nabbed a BB a few months back and love it. I replaced the throw-off on mine though.
    What did you replace your throw-off with?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    What did you replace your throw-off with?

Keep in mind that a throw-off that works on a regular Black Beauty probably won't work on a Black Beauty Super Sensitive.

The drum looks great.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 12-11-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: ==

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Keep in mind that a throw-off that works on a regular Black Beauty probably won't work on a Black Beauty Super Sensitive.

The drum looks great.
    +1.......................not the same mounting as a standard P-85/86.

I'd recommend keeping the SS strainer as long as everything is working properly.

User Info Menu

Nice snare looks great. congrats!

User Info Menu

The drum looks great.
    First off, thanks to everyone who sent compliments...I agree, the drum is beautiful!

Regarding the Super Sensitive throw off (the Ludwig P70), I agree that what you say is true. I must admit to feeling quite foolish, not even realizing what specific model I was getting. In fact, I didn't even realize that there are, apparently, 3 different throw offs for the Black Beauty. I'm learning that this drum thing seems to require more of a learning curve than some other instruments, at least with respect to different makes/models/configurations.

I'd tried to look up the BB 419 model on the Ludwig website, but strangely, there IS NO 419 on their current site, and no reference to the P70 snare strainer, at least that I can see. I wonder why. In any event, I think the LB419 model IS a BB with a P70 snare strainer. I now understand, after spending time with the new drum, how this strainer is unique, given the holes in the drum shell to accommodate the rod that connects the 2 strainer pieces 180 degrees from each other, and the pretty complicated cam arrangement, and the VERY distinctive strainer guards. I'm sure I will end up returning the Trick throw off that I purchased before I got the drum. Even if I could replace the strainers, I'm not sure I would, now that I have read up on the history of this strainer design, and the fact that the look of it is really growing on me. What seems to be true is that the strainer mechanism seems to be loosening up a bit, the more I use it. When the drum got here, the strainer was pretty stiff. Now it seems to work with a bit more ease.

I am wondering, however, more out of curiosity than concern, whether the sound of my drum comes in part from the snare strainer design; that is, do the more 'current' strainers (like a P85) make a BB sound different.
    Last edited by cabasner; 12-13-2013 at 04:49 AM.

User Info Menu

"I am wondering, however, more out of curiosity than concern, whether the sound of my drum comes in part from the snare strainer design; that is, do the more 'current' strainers (like a P85) make a BB sound different."

I doubt if anyone knows. You don't by a Black Beauty Super Sensitive to change the throw-offs. The fact that the snares extend all across the reso head is what gives the BB SS it's sound.

Keep all the moving parts lubricated (I used Vaseline) and the snare mechanism will stay smooth for decades.

User Info Menu

Very nice snare and leave it the way it is. Only thing I would recommend is try a Ludwig med head on it . That's all I use on my snares all Ludwigs and love it / I have tried many and seems it is the best head for the sound I like.What you paid isn't bad at all wont tell you what my Millenium is worth lol. If you like it then all is good. Be careful with that snare might make you come over to the Ludwig family with a whole set lol

User Info Menu

do you have a clear head on the bottom. I like to see what the strainer side looks like(inside)

User Info Menu

"I am wondering, however, more out of curiosity than concern, whether the sound of my drum comes in part from the snare strainer design; that is, do the more 'current' strainers (like a P85) make a BB sound different."

I doubt if anyone knows. You don't by a Black Beauty Super Sensitive to change the throw-offs. The fact that the snares extend all across the reso head is what gives the BB SS it's sound.

Keep all the moving parts lubricated (I used Vaseline) and the snare mechanism will stay smooth for decades.
    i agree 100% that drum was designed to have that snare system on it, they didnt just slap that one on it because it looked cool . any changes that you make will change the sound of the drum (same as any drum)... lol plus that just doesnt look like a drum that id want to drill any holes into. what you have there is ,, a great snare drum.... enjoy it . .....
    Tamaholic