Thread: Had a GREAT time on Saturday night!

User Info Menu

Default Had a GREAT time on Saturday night!

I was privledged on Saturday night to be able to fill in for a local rock (cover) band who's drummer had quit. They are all friends of mine, but I had never actually played with them before. To be honest, I was a little nervous at first. They play '60s and early 70s Era rock. Although I've heard all the songs before on the radio, I've never actually played them before (except for a couple of the CCR tunes). They are all excellent musicians, and I didn't want to hold them back. I've been playing mostly Blugrass, Blues, Old Country and Folk for several years and I wasn't sure I'd be able to hang with them.
    As it turns out, I was just fine. They were such good musicians and knew the songs so well that it was easy. I think I had more fun playing that stuff than Ive had in a long time. Compared to the songs I'm used to, There was a ton of opportunity to do fills and really cut loose on drums....I was grinning from ear to ear, LOL. Some of the funner songs I remember are;

Somebody to Love- Jefferson Airplane
    Don't Stop Thinking- Fleetwood Mac
    Paint It Black- Stones
    Evil Ways- Santanna
    25 or 6 to 4- Chicago

As an added bonus, I got to use a drumset that belonged to the lead guitar player....which was a Gretsch Catalina Maple- 8,10,12,14 & 20(?)
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Had a GREAT time on Saturday night!

I remember those songs. Sounds like you did well.

User Info Menu

Well....it wasn't up to the caliber of a lot of the stuff I see posted on here, but it wasn't bad. I guess the bottom line that I wanted to convey (especially to those starting out) is to keep yourself open to new experiences. Im not a big fan of Classic Rock cover bands, and I don't typically listen to the classic rock that gets radio play. However, I'm glad I had the courage to give it a shot. I had so much fun...and it really gave me an opportunity to get out of my comfort zone and try my hand at something different. I would encourage anyone that has the opportunity to play with different people and different styles of music to do the same.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Yes, that is a nice meddley of my favorites tunes man.

User Info Menu

Very cool experience. Good for you man.

I was just asked, last week, to join a "traditional" style jazz band. Their drummer had just quit. Although it wasn't a gig it was a nice try-out as they have some gigs coming up and there is some urgency to learn the material.

Like you, I have heard the songs and am certainly familiar with playing jazz but I was nervous as it is a weak area in my drumming and these guys are very good (in my opinion). However it was funny that we all held our cards back quite a bit. Overall it was a great experience and a project that will challenge and push me.

In addition the bass player, who asked me to join the jazz band, was invited by me to join the "main" project I'm in. Pretty cool.

There is a lot to be said about stepping out of the comfort zone and exploring new experiences. The worst that can happen is you don't like it. The best, as in our case, is you learn, have fun, meet new people, and take on new challenges that help expand our knowledge and skills.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Good on you, well done!

Playing classic rock is a great laugh and enables you to relax as well as playing great music. Good to see 25 Or 6 To 4 on the list, that song's a genuine classic in my book.

User Info Menu

Sounded like tons of fun. The bunch of guys I play with now don't want to gig so I live through these kind of threads and read how much funs you guys are having. I've looked on the local CL for classic rock bands needing drummers but all I run into these days are metal heads looking for the quickest feet lol....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    all I run into these days are metal heads looking for the quickest feet lol....
    I remember when metal wasn't all about speed... Now it's how "tr00" and "br00tal" you can be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I was privledged on Saturday night to be able to fill in for a local----------As an added bonus, I got to use a drumset that belonged to the lead guitar player....which was a Gretsch Catalina Maple.
    Icing on the cake..............very cool.
    Glad you had fun..............
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Good on you.
    Been 45 years since I played in front of a bunch of people.
    Keep telling myself. "someday,someday"
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Icing on the cake..............very cool.
    Glad you had fun..............
    Funny part was when I got there....here's this beautiful Gretsch Catalina set up, and I'm thinking "Oh yeahhhh"! So I sat down behind the set and all the toms are set at about a 60 degree angle off of vertical and the heads are all original...and FULL of dents and duct tape, LOL. The cymbal were stuck way up in the air and sitting flat. It was like like something off a bad Craig's List add
    I tried to readjust everything, but it was too much work. I just left them alone and did the best I could. The strange part was they had all the drums mic'd and they sounded fantastic. Funny how great sounding drums seem to make you play better, LOL
    -Brian

User Info Menu

N2bluz sounds like you had a great time. I started playing about a year ago. Played a little when I was young took lessons for a while started again a year ago. When I started my instructor asked what my goals was as a drummer and I said I just wanted to learn to play the drums, learn to read music and play along to songs at home. But the more I hear from everyone playing in front of a crowd the more I think I would like to give it a shot. I 'm trying to learn a Brian Adams song Run to You so I could play it for my wife on our 25th, New Years eve. I thought I would look around to see if there was a band playing somewhere and see if I could give them a few bucks to practice the song with them before hand and let me play the song with them that night as a present to her along with a new diamond ring she she's looking for lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Sounded like tons of fun. The bunch of guys I play with now don't want to gig so I live through these kind of threads and read how much funs you guys are having. I've looked on the local CL for classic rock bands needing drummers but all I run into these days are metal heads looking for the quickest feet lol....

Rich, start your own band. We did when a band I was in broke up. Ego problems. Oddly enough, not mine.

We were together for 32-33 years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dabdrums View Post
    I 'm trying to learn a Brian Adams song Run to You so I could play it for my wife on our 25th, New Years eve.
    1. Congratulations on your anniversary.
    2. Run To You is a great song to play as well as listen to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellwyck View Post
    good on you, well done!

Playing classic rock is a great laugh and enables you to relax as well as playing great music. good to see 25 or 6 to 4 on the list, that song's a genuine classic in my book.
    +1
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Glad you had fun. That's why we pick up the sticks, right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Rich, start your own band. We did when a band I was in broke up. Ego problems. Oddly enough, not mine.

We were together for 32-33 years.
    Rick seems like around my neck of the woods, (Nor-Cal) especially in Sac, the music scene ain't happening except for a few metal clubs. Long gone are the venues that used to cater to more of a mainstream music crowd. Kareoke and DJ's seem to be cheaper. No ASCAP, BMI licence fees to deal with if you're a small bar or pub so out goes the live bands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
    I remember when metal wasn't all about speed... Now it's how "tr00" and "br00tal" you can be.
    IMO, those were better days for metal.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    IMO, those were better days for metal.
    The days of Dio, Sabbath, etc...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
    The days of Dio, Sabbath, etc...
    For sure, I love that sludgey old stuff.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Funny part was when I got there....here's this beautiful Gretsch Catalina set up, and I'm thinking "Oh yeahhhh"! So I sat down behind the set and all the toms are set at about a 60 degree angle off of vertical and the heads are all original...and FULL of dents and duct tape, LOL. The cymbal were stuck way up in the air and sitting flat. It was like like something off a bad Craig's List add
    I tried to readjust everything, but it was too much work. I just left them alone and did the best I could. The strange part was they had all the drums mic'd and they sounded fantastic. Funny how great sounding drums seem to make you play better, LOL
    Isn't it awesome when a great PA monitor and quality mikes can take good drums and make them fantastic ?
    Even better once the heads are replaced and properly tuned................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)