Thread: Snare question

User Info Menu

Default Snare question

another question... i'm very knowledgeble about drum equipment. Im looking to get a snare with a sharp pop.. the real hardcore brap bap bap high pitch type. Does the thickness of your snare effect how high u can tune it. would a thinner snare be better for that type a sound. it just kind would make sense if it worked like that. Like id imagine a real deep snare would have a lower pitch.

Anyone care to share some knowledge as well as maybe pointing me in the direction as to whut kinda a snare id want.

Thx, Mark

User Info Menu

wait.. i ment to say im not very knowledgeble. gah i hate it when i forget key words like NOT. the question stil stands.

User Info Menu

Right a deep snare like 8" by 14" would produce a lower bham but the tighter you tune it the higher the pitch. Also chrome, metal, or brass snares are of a higher pitch then a wood snare. A piccallo snare would be high but again that how you tune it. I really don't think that thickness make a difference. It's mostly how you tune it. Both heads not just the batter head.

User Info Menu

I believe its mostley in the type of head you use on top and bottom. Wires make a difference too. Brass wires are of darker sound while metal are of brighter sound. Then theres the kind of material there made from like Timer said. Go to a drum store and try them out, its the single most important drum in your set.
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

You can get sharp, high-pitch out of metal snare drums as opposed to wood snare drums. I once had a brass snare that I liked a lot.
    Limpy
    *Drum yourself to death

User Info Menu

wow a brass snare? nvr heard of that..
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

i should give that a try at guitar center... (where u can PLAY THE DRUMS
    !!!! aaah i love it there...)
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

i love guitar center....i really really wish that my town had one...

User Info Menu

I belive it's mostly in how thight you tune the drum, but the size of the drum is what gives you your tuning range, and obviously the bigger the drum the bigger the range.

User Info Menu

can tuning 1 head higher than the other raise/lower the pitch or wil it jus go in between or mess up?

User Info Menu

the further apart your heads are the more overtones you wil get...try to get them to be the same tightness if you can

User Info Menu

erm...whats an overtone?

User Info Menu

like when you hit a drum you might actually here more than one frequency...those other frequencies heard are called overtones...