Thread: Starter Drum Kit?

User Info Menu

Default Starter Drum Kit?

Can anyone help me with suggestions for starter Acoustic drum kit (for some reason a electronic kit does not appeal to me)?

Budget: $500 - $2000

Level of experience: Not much had a loaner kit for a few months about 15 years ago and had instructional tapes even took a few lessons. Other than that I've been playing guitar in cover rock bands for over 30 years.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Starter Drum Kit?

Are you gonna need new cymbals? Hardware? With 2000$ you may be able to. afford a little more then an entry level set, and may last you a little linger. Or you could invest some more in cymbals and heads.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

with your budget you could start on a quality kit. Most of the starter stuff is poplar, which can sound okay tuned up well but you'll always be tuning it. I might try to stay away from those kits and get some birch or maple shells instead. I think every company has fine kits. It's almost a matter of just picking a brand you think you might like to play. I didn't really awnser your ? but sure someone else can.

Imperialstar made a good point about having better than entry level cymbals.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Thanks I have now idea what type of materials / construction is good / idea so some direction is that would be helpful also.

Are you gonna need new cymbals? Hardware? yes the whole kit

User Info Menu

Where are you located? That can make a difference in what's available in your market.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Are you dead set on brand new, or is used an option?

User Info Menu

You can score some awesome deals with full kits with cymbals if you go used. People usually treat drum kits like fine furniture. So condition shouldn't be a concern as long as you ask questions and study all the pictures. For 2 grand you are going to be hard pressed to get anything decent. Starter kits are okay with new aftermarket heads and good tuning. But starter cymbals are exactly what they are. Starter cymbals. And since you need everything, 2 grand won't get you there. Go used either E-Bay or Craigslist in your area if possible. Depending on where you live.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

A new kit is not required and I live in the Wash DC area.............are there any drum mfg that I should stay away from?

Thanks!
    Last edited by El Butcho Mas Loco; 11-19-2013 at 04:12 PM.

User Info Menu

If youve never heard of them, youd probably be better to stay away from them.
    Tama, Ludwig, Pearl, Gretsch, Sonor, Mapex they all have great mid level kits that will give you years of service.

User Info Menu

Yamaha, DW and PDP..... and Premier.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Yamaha, DW and PDP..... and Premier.
    Stay away?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by El Butcho Mas Loco View Post
    Stay away?
    No he was just filling in the companies that Northern Redneck did not mention, Premier sells good kits. DW is one of the top lines though, and PDP is a division of DW that sells more affordable drums and gear. All three are good choices.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    No he was just filling in the companies that Northern Redneck did not mention, Premier sells good kits. DW is one of the top lines though, and PDP is a division of DW that sells more affordable drums and gear. All three are good choices.
    Good stuff right here...........thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    There are a few differnt series of the PDP line.........are they all pretty good quality kits?

Also what type / mfg of cymbals are the best bang for the buck?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Ordinarily, I would suggest looking on Craig's List for a mid to high level kit. If you're patient, you can score a darn nice kit in the neighborhood of $500-$1000. Sometimes, you can even find complete sets with decent cymbals. If you're a complete novice, however, it can be a little risky. I've found that the majority of people selling their drums don't even know what wood they're made of.
    Even the major brand names sell lower entry level kits, so just because it says Ludwig or Sonor on it doesn't mean it's high end. It does, however, usually mean it will be of respectable quality.
    It MIGHT be best in your situation to find a respectable drum or music shop in your area. You can ask questions, play some different sets and decide what you like. Do some on-line research on the brands mentioned and the models they offer. You can look at either a used set or even a new set (based on your budget). Used sets can be tricky, since things like bad bearing edges and warped shells are not always evident. The advantage of going to a local music shop will be the service after the sale. If you have problems, you'll have the ability to go back to them for help.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Ordinarily, I would suggest looking on Craig's List for a mid to high level kit. If you're patient, you can score a darn nice kit in the neighborhood of $500-$1000. Sometimes, you can even find complete sets with decent cymbals. If you're a complete novice, however, it can be a little risky. I've found that the majority of people selling their drums don't even know what wood they're made of.
    Even the major brand names sell lower entry level kits, so just because it says Ludwig or Sonor on it doesn't mean it's high end. It does, however, usually mean it will be of respectable quality.
    It MIGHT be best in your situation to find a respectable drum or music shop in your area. You can ask questions, play some different sets and decide what you like. Do some on-line research on the brands mentioned and the models they offer. You can look at either a used set or even a new set (based on your budget). Used sets can be tricky, since things like bad bearing edges and warped shells are not always evident. The advantage of going to a local music shop will be the service after the sale. If you have problems, you'll have the ability to go back to them for help.
    I will keep my eye on CL............maybe going to the local music store like you are suggesting..............thanks

User Info Menu

Guitar centers website has tons of used kits. Shipping around $65. Some really good kits for under $500.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    Guitar centers website has tons of used kits. Shipping around $65. Some really good kits for under $500.
    Good call.........they do have a bunch of stuff!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    He needs everything. He would find a better deal on E-Bay if he's willing to pay for shipping. GC is a store that survives by making a profit. Today is a buyers market due to the weak economy. Someone trying to get rid of something for some quick cash would be a better deal than a store. Plus if he looks and is patient he can find a deal that includes everything he needs. With a store they never sell complete kits unless their junk to begin with.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash