Thread: Beginners drum lessons / learning

User Info Menu

Default Beginners drum lessons / learning

Is it ok to start off learning to play on a electronic drum kit? I'd be able to practice in the house without annoying everyone else

Just don't know it and when I get a real kit if I would have to relearn things like drumming dynamics

Drum Lessons

User Info Menu

Default Re: Beginners drum lessons / learning

Quote Originally Posted by Elbutcho View Post
    Is it ok to start off learning to play on a electronic drum kit? I'd be able to practice in the house without annoying everyone else

Just don't know it and when I get a real kit if I would have to relearn things like drumming dynamics

1) Yes

2) Probably some, but I doubt it would be that much.

User Info Menu

Electronic drums are useful for learning, and for gigging too. They are probably less annoying to your family.

User Info Menu

IMO, switching between e-kit and a-kit should be no more of an insurmountable challenge than a guitarist switching between an acoustic and an electric guitar.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have both. Rolls and such are easier on an e kit because each drum has the exact same response. Where an acoustic kit, the bigger the drum the less the rebound.

Overall though, you should just try to get behind an acoustic kit occasionally and learn what the differences feel like.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I started using wooden kitchen spoons and pillows, so yeah, I'd say an e-Kit would be just fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I started using wooden kitchen spoons and pillows, so yeah, I'd say an e-Kit would be just fine.
    That is about what a e-kit sounds like unplugged.

User Info Menu

I'm just a beginner of sorts myself and I bought an electronic kit first and then ran up on a great deal on an acoustic set, so I bought it too.

I have them both in the same room and play them both almost equally.

I can play the electronics without bothering my wife, but when I'm home alone.......I play the acoustics a lot more.

I like the different sounds I can get from my electronic set and am still learning to tune to get the sound I want, but my ear seems to have a way to go.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Drum Lessons

10 months ago when I started drumming, I bought myself an electronic kit.

They are still responsive to dynamics although the cymbals tend to be the least realistic, as they crash no matter what, just at different volumes.

You can get mesh head pads, which are supposed to have a more realistic feel. I found from trying out a real acoustic kit that the sticks rebound loads compared to the rubber pads.

That said, I can practice until the early hours of the morning without bothering anyone.