Thread: Marching Snare Question

User Info Menu

Default Marching Snare Question

Is there any logical reason for someone who is not nor has any intention of playing in a marching band to own a 14" X 9" marching snare? When I play any drums, it's usually hand percussion. I saw one on ebay that hasn't been bid through the roof yet.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Marching Snare Question

Play what you want.

User Info Menu

Sure, if you want it and can afford it, I say get it. Marching snares are pretty cool, even for percussion work if you use Vic Firth Dreadlocks or something on them...

User Info Menu

I just like the sound of a marching snare, period. Playing one is an art unto itself. It'd be an interesting addition to any regular kit, as an unusually deep auxiliary snare, perhaps placed next to a piccolo or popcorn snare.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

i think they're pretty cool. There was a Pearl in a pawn shop over here I was thinking about getting. It was a little beat up and it was white. If it was blue or orange or anything besides plain white I'd probably have it. This one was 10 or 12" deep, no projector.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Thanks, everyone. I bid as much as I thought I'd want to pay for it, which was substantially more than the current bid and got out-bid within a half hour. I'll keep watching it, though.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.