Thread: RATM Brad Wilk

User Info Menu

Default RATM Brad Wilk

That's for Rage Against The Machine if some didn't know. What I'm curious about is how you feel about Brad Wilk. Do you like his playing? his sound?. I can't say much about Audioslave because they came out when I dropped off the music map for a few years.

Anyway back to Brad. I was listening to Evil Empire in the car the other day and thought this. His drumming definitely fit the songs. Lots of hi energy open hi hat and crash riding. How he used the kick drum was almost advant-garde sounding (something that he didn't do on the next studio release B.O.L.A. the kick seemed more positioned) hardly any tom work. I think he played a four piece. All in all I like his drumming. It's nothing spectacular but it's just right for the music and that's better anyway.

I only wish the albums were mixed differently with the drums more up front especially Evil Empire. He has a cool snare sound. It's gotta be a metal shell and sounds the same on both of those cd's. Thought's?

he did the new Sabbath stuff (studio) too I believe.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: RATM Brad Wilk

Love Brad Wilk and RATM. You're spot on, his drumming isn't flashy but really fits the songs well.

Timmy Commerford is one of my favorite bass players as well. RATM was a tremendous band.

User Info Menu

Brad and Timmy make for one tight rhytm section. As has been stated, he's not particularly flashy, but his playing fits the songs. I was just listening to Evil Empire on my snowy drive to work.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I agree with you guys the music on those two in particular just sound cool. Cool riffs. I don't see how the drum parts off EE could ever be written out. It seems so all over the place, the kick at least. On Battle of L.A. he played that way on some parts but it seemed more structured or like he chose one way to play the song and did it the same every time. Wonder if that's something they talked about after EE.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Brad is one of my influences. He is not very flashy, but he gets the point across. Very tight with Commerford.

User Info Menu

He and Tim Commerford make one of my favourite rythmsections in rock music.
    Like his cowbell playing on RATMs first album
    copy and Paiste

User Info Menu

Yes is is the new Sabbath drummer, lucky guy, has a good career going.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

I like his style too. Fits right in, sounds good, very solid.