Thread: Want to try some new drumheads (Remo in particular)

User Info Menu

Question Want to try some new drumheads (Remo in particular)

Hey guys, I usually use basic stuff on my snare...a reverse dot, a G1, or J1 by Evans (I have even tried their onyx head, too). Been thinking I would try an Ambassador or something by Aquarian (single ply). I was wondering if any of the Remo users here had any words on the coating? I've heard there is some issues with the coating, and knowing I love brushes, I don't feel like buying heads that will have the coating wear off considering the Evans heads I have used have never had coating wear off. Thanks guys! And...for the Aquarian heads...any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Want to try some new drumheads (Remo in particular)

My luck with remo coating has be fantastic.
    I use Emperors myself when using Remo

I love my Aquarian Super 2 clears though, thats what my Camcos wear
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Why change if you are happy with coated Evans? I have one coated Aquarian head on my snare and still looks good after 2 years very durable and coating show no sign of wear. In the past I have used Remos coated on my toms and they left stick marks all over the place mind you that was a long time ago maybe they are ok now. I only use Evans but I am sure you will hear from other Remos users here on DC.

User Info Menu

I have had issues with Remo's coating on the Ambassador X heads...the coating wears off after 20 minutes of playing!

But I'm using a coated CS head now (for the last few weeks) and love it! Would definitely buy again.

Hope that helps.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

I use to play Aquarian I thoroughly enjoyed the sound and how long it lasted. But I've recently swapped back to Evans. I love the HD Dry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in name only View Post
    I have had issues with Remo's coating on the Ambassador X heads...the coating wears off after 20 minutes of playing!

But I'm using a coated CS head now (for the last few weeks) and love it! Would definitely buy again.

Hope that helps.
    What is CS head ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in name only View Post

Hope that helps.
    I had the same issue with my Remo Reverse DOT CS. Made me switch to Evans.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    What is CS head ?
    CS= Controlled Sound

User Info Menu

Almost like the Evans EC ( edge control)

This is the EC frosted with reverse dot

Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 11-27-2013 at 10:41 AM.

User Info Menu

I use a Remo Coated Ambassador...The coating comes off very soon; Its a nice head but I would not recommend it I plan on getting a CS Head soon I hope that one will be better

Keep the Peace and Keep Drumming! :D

User Info Menu

Why change if you are happy with coated Evans? I have one coated Aquarian head on my snare and still looks good after 2 years very durable and coating show no sign of wear. In the past I have used Remos coated on my toms and they left stick marks all over the place mind you that was a long time ago maybe they are ok now. I only use Evans but I am sure you will hear from other Remos users here on DC.
    Sound, really. I've heard Remo sounds better. I've heard Aquarian sounds better. Now, is it true? I have no idea. I have heard Evans sounds plastic-y compared to Remo, and I've heard Aquarian is plastic-y, too. But, having used Remo like once ever and Aquarian on a little tiny snare it's hard to say. But, if all the coating will fall off, seems like a bad idea. ALTHOUGH it seems the coating issues are from the past (although there are some people recently with the issue, too). I dunno, Remo seems to be good about helping people out, too, so might be worth a shot. Thanks for the help guys!

I'll have to get an Ambassador and an equivalent snare head from Aquarian (anyone recommend a good 1-ply by them?).

User Info Menu

Aquarian Z100 textured coated single ply is a great head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I had the same issue with my Remo Reverse DOT CS. Made me switch to Evans.

CS= Controlled Sound

Thanks, Late8!

The dot comes in different colours, too, BTW. Mine has a black dot on the underside. Looks greyish when seen from above.

Again...great snare head!
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
    Sound, really. I've heard Remo sounds better. I've heard Aquarian sounds better. Now, is it true? I have no idea. I have heard Evans sounds plastic-y compared to Remo, and I've heard Aquarian is plastic-y, too. But, having used Remo like once ever and Aquarian on a little tiny snare it's hard to say. But, if all the coating will fall off, seems like a bad idea. ALTHOUGH it seems the coating issues are from the past (although there are some people recently with the issue, too). I dunno, Remo seems to be good about helping people out, too, so might be worth a shot. Thanks for the help guys!

I'll have to get an Ambassador and an equivalent snare head from Aquarian (anyone recommend a good 1-ply by them?).
    When you say sound plasty-y you don't mean coated heads. Clear heads yes but not coated.

User Info Menu

Wow, either I've been very fortunate in the past and present with playing various Remo and Evans heads over what's now a quarter century, but as far as their coated heads are concerned, never had problems with the coating coming off Remo heads. Same with Evans.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

When you say sound plasty-y you don't mean coated heads. Clear heads yes but not coated.
    No, I mean coated. I've heard people say on all kinds of drum forums that Evans (compared to Remo) sound more plastic-y. I have no idea if this true (to me) and this is why I'm kind of asking around about heads to find out about the coating issues of Remo and the Aquarian offerings.

Drumbledore, I've found many people complain about Remo's heads. I've had like one or two in the distant past and I don't recall an issue (I COULD have had one recently but I ripped the head by accident...somehow it ripped on the drum) but we're talking a LONG time ago when I was drumming on my first or second snare drum. I might have to pick up a head at some point. Or an Aquarian. Or both?

User Info Menu

Zack, you will hear Remos users put down Evans and vice versa. I think it is time for you to buy them and see for yourself. What works for one person does'nt for another. I've tried all three makers ( Remos,Evans, Aquarian) and stuck with Evans cause I have had luck and found them durable and the sound that I want. Just sayin

User Info Menu

I dont find a huge difference between Remo and Evans, I tend to buy whatever is on sale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I dont find a huge difference between Remo and Evans, I tend to buy whatever is on sale.
    +1. I change heads often.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Yes -- I have used both.
    And both are very good.
    In general, the Emperor is a rock & roll batter side masterpiece. I use other heads for other purposes.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Aquarian Z100 textured coated single ply is a great head.
    This! The coating just is stronger and lasts quite awhile compared to other heads I have noticed. These are excellent snare batter heads.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 11-30-2013 at 05:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Aquarian Hi Energy. Has the durability of a tank.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.