Thread: Need help with this shuffle example (FREE SHUFFLE LEARNING CONTENT INSIDE)

User Info Menu

Question Need help with this shuffle example (FREE SHUFFLE LEARNING CONTENT INSIDE)

Hey guys, I just downloaded this PDF of all kinds of shuffles, and one is throwing me off. Not because of how to play it (well, I haven't tried yet...some of these look crazy difficult), but because of the instructions.

Notice the first example is straight forward. It tells you to use both hands to play this cool shuffle pattern. Now, the next example is the same thing, but it says something about three over four with a bell pattern and says it's a variation...but it's completely the same? Am I missing something? I have no idea what I'm missing!

This is from Paul Brooke's Shuffle Thesaurus PDF, and it has a crazy amount of shuffles. Your basic blues and jazz shuffles, Purdie shuffles (although they are written out without a time signature and the writer basically implies 4/4, so it sounds kind of strange), flat tire shuffles (inside out shuffles), Texas shuffles, etc. Really worth checking out if you want to get more into blues, or expand your vocabulary. Some of these are just plain weird shuffles, and I can't wait to learn them (although I probably won't use a lot of them at blues jams). Shuffle Thesaurus

Thanks for the help guys and I hope those of you who download this Shuffle Thesaurus PDF enjoy it like I will be!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
    Last edited by ZackPomerleau; 11-28-2013 at 01:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help with this shuffle example (FREE SHUFFLE LEARNING CONTENT INSIDE)

There is a dot over the high hat symbol.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help with this shuffle example (FREE SHUFFLE LEARNING CONTENT INSIDE)

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    There is a dot over the high hat symbol.
    The only thing i can think of is that the dots come every 4th eight note, and the bass drum is still playing a shuffle?? thats all i got
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

IDK......does that mean you play the bell of the hi-hat cymbal on the beats with a dot over them? I don't usually use both hands to play the hi-hat triplets. Maybe I should practice using both hands....it might open up some opportunities to do other stuff. I'm gonna download that PDF. With all the Blues, Country and Swing we play, I get plenty of opportunity to play shuffle beats. Thanks!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I think the dots are notating some kind of pseudo accent, creating a 3 over 4 feel. That's usually done by a dash over the note.

I don't know, it's confusing to me too.

EDIT: Is this supposed to be between the ride and the hats? It makes sense in the second example to play the bell of the ride every 4th note.
    Last edited by Mike_L; 11-28-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

The dot! I didn't even notice the dot! What I'm noticing now that I know those dots are there, is bell hits act as half note triplets. You hit the first note of the first triplet, then the second of the second triplet, the third of the third triplet, then you don't hit any on the final triplet!

These are something I've never really used, and other than being introduced to them in lessons (I am glad I can still recognize them! Although I quickly found out they were not called whole note triplet...but my brain kicked in and realized that makes no sense ) I don't remember using them.

Glad you guys like this little reference, I thought it was super cool! Can't wait to print it out and use it!

User Info Menu

Not sure about this notation. Usually a dot over a note like this means a choked crash. In this context I think it might mean an accent. What is rather interesting is the alternating hand notation on the HH. I for one have never played a shuffle like that and one of the bands I'm in is a blues band so there are lots of shuffles.

User Info Menu

I'm with MikeL on this. Play this on the ride and the HH.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I'd be comfortable with it if it had the kick going on the "1(+)a" and "3(+)a" (resting on the middle note of the triplet, as doing a hand-to-hand triplet feels natural, almost African in a way, and especially with that hi-hat bell pattern (I agree with Mike L & Slingy, that bell does work with the two hands going on the ride and hi-hat, but I'd be game enough to try it with the bell of the hi-hat as another exercise). But with the kick shuffling along like that? Nuh-uh! Still, a good challenge, but that would take quite a while to get the handle of.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    I'd be comfortable with it if it had the kick going on the "1(+)a" and "3(+)a" (resting on the middle note of the triplet, as doing a hand-to-hand triplet feels natural, almost African in a way, and especially with that hi-hat bell pattern (I agree with Mike L & Slingy, that bell does work with the two hands going on the ride and hi-hat, but I'd be game enough to try it with the bell of the hi-hat as another exercise). But with the kick shuffling along like that? Nuh-uh! Still, a good challenge, but that would take quite a while to get the handle of.
    That's what it's all about, making it hard for myself so I get better