Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DW9000 vs DW5000 Bass Drum Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW9000 vs DW5000 Bass Drum Pedal

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Correct. There were subtle changes made during the run. The version below seems to be the first run. Look at the cam tower circled in yellow. It's squared off and the beaters are more egg shaped. This doesn't look like my pedal but not the 2012 version either.

Then there's this version below. Again, I circled the cam tower and beater. The cam tower is more sculptured and the beaters are now more squared off.

Then DW decides to make further changes and ditches the Velcro and uses rubber instead as mentioned and they added these features:

Both pedals now feature our all-new Tri-Pivot Toe Clamp System and Non-Slip Rubber Grip Base Plate for increased stability and a stronger connection between the drummer and kick drum. In addition, we added an EZ Adjust Cam to allow drummers to switch from AcceleratorŽ to TurboŽ-style sprockets, or anywhere in between, in no time!

It looks like I got the 'In Between Version' before the last tweek. The pedal has the sculptured cam towers unlike the squared off version pictured above and my beaters don't have the egg shape to them but uses the Velcro and still uses the Tri-point key to adjust the beater stroke distance.

You know that's funny you mention the multiple adjustment available on the DW9000 vs the SC. Here's my take on what you posted. Call it human nature but give a person too many options and the choices tend to get in the way. That why we put automatic tranny's in cars. Jump in and drive. For me, all of my cars were manuals; more driver involvement. I want to be able to have as many options available to me as possible. What feels right is all relative to ones own personal taste.

Just for the record. I've owned about 30 cars over almost 50 years of driving. Of those cars, only 2 were automatic. The Stang I have now, and a '66 Fairlane GTA that I almost didn't buy because it was auto, but bought it because it was quick, looked great with the Maroon that Ford had back in the day. Plus I had a lot of 390 parts.

In the last 3 years, I've tried a Axis, a Iron Cobra, the 9000, and the Speed Cobra. I do a lot of things between hands and BD, so if the pedal isn't exactly on the money, it throws me off. I have to be half way down the pedal (the Speed Cobra) to have the control I want, but my foot keeps trying to work it's way up the pedal.

If I had known 3 years ago, I would have stuck with my Speed King, which, after playing 1 for around 50+ years, I could do anything I wanted on that pedal.

User Info Menu

Late8,

I hope I didn't rain on your parade. It was never my intention to do so. I'm very happy with my DW9002 and I'm sure you'll be happy with yours.

Cheers my good man!

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

great write up and comparison!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Just for the record. I've owned about 30 cars over almost 50 years of driving. Of those cars, only 2 were automatic. The Stang I have now, and a '66 Fairlane GTA that I almost didn't buy because it was auto, but bought it because it was quick, looked great with the Maroon that Ford had back in the day. Plus I had a lot of 390 parts.
    I'm relieved you only had two slush box cars in your life Rick. Automatics for me kill the joy of driving. In fact, I've had several incidents where I was driving my wife's Chevy 4X4 and accidently smashed my foot down on the brake pedal thinking it was the clutch. You should of seen the look on the guy's face behind me. Anyhoo, The SC's fit and finish looked ok but the 9k to me had more of a refined look to it. The etched logo, the clean lines around the footboard and the toe clamp having a really nice sculpted feel scored high on my expectations of a pedal priced $300+. The SC at $179 is a good price point but I could see where DW improved their design as RichByNameOnly pointed out and I'm totally up for any company willing to go that extra mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in name only View Post
    Late8,

I hope I didn't rain on your parade. It was never my intention to do so. I'm very happy with my DW9002 and I'm sure you'll be happy with yours.

Cheers my good man!

Rich
    No worries Rich. You didn't rain on my parade. I knew there was an upgraded 9000 pedal from a previous post here on DC and I knew by this previous thread that there were changes made to the pedal.

Here's the link:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...dal-26660.html

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    great write up and comparison!!
    Thanks Spaz!! By the way, nice kit you got there brother!!

User Info Menu

"The SC's fit and finish looked ok but the 9k to me had more of a refined look to it. The etched logo, the clean lines around the footboard and the toe clamp having a really nice sculpted feel scored high on my expectations of a pedal priced $300+. The SC at $179 is a good price point but I could see where DW improved their design as RichByNameOnly pointed out and I'm totally up for any company willing to go that extra mile."

Rich, I won't argue that it's a beautiful pedal (but who really sees them). Just too many bells and whistles on the 9000. I played with that pedal for a couple of weeks and couldn't get it anywhere near what I wanted.

User Info Menu

You know that's funny you mention the multiple adjustment available on the DW9000 vs the SC. Here's my take on what you posted. Call it human nature but give a person too many options and the choices tend to get in the way. That why we put automatic tranny's in cars. Jump in and drive. For me, all of my cars were manuals; more driver involvement. I want to be able to have as many options available to me as possible. What feels right is all relative to ones own personal taste.
    Great review Late8. I started out on the DW7002 dbl pedal and then picked up the DW9002 dbl pedal a couple of years ago. I've been extremely pleased with them. A very smooth and solid piece of equipment. I too like having the adjustment options that the pedal offers and being able to experiment and tweek to ones own personal taste. I know it's not for everyone, but it's a good fit for me. You're gonna like the pedal.

The soft case issue stinks though. Have you tried contacting DW to see if they will replace it? Also, the 9000 should fit into your 5000 hard case if you want to go that route for protection when giging.

Good luck and enjoy!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new 9000 pedal!

I went from a fairly old DW 5000 (with the skinny single chain), to the beautiful 9002 Double Pedal. I have to say, the thing is smooth.

A few months back I was thinking that I wanted to bring it all back home to Tama. I have played Tama drums for over twenty years and still love them. Last year I replaced all my cymbal stands with newer Tama Road Pro booms. They are simple, to the point, strong, and not too expensive. I have 9000 series double pedals and Hi-hat stand. Initially, I was attracted to the Tama Speed Cobras, but I realized that the long boards were not really my thing. I really like the Iron Cobras too, and I feel that the Tama 900 series Lever-Glide Hi-hat stand is a more user friendly design than my DW 9000 Hi-hat stand. I like how the Tama foot plate just folds up with no fuss. I like the clean two-legged design as well as the simple tension adjustment. The 9000 is a bit more of a pain to break down and put together for gigs.

All the above to say, I decided against it. I have to admit that I really like how fluid the 9002 bass pedals are. I am a set it and forget it kind of guy. I find something that works, and try to get good at THAT setting. I think a lot of people get wrapped around the axle with all the adjustments thinking that a tweak here or there will bring the magic. I don't think it works that way. Sure there are some basic adjustments that help us find the familiar groove that we are used to, but I think many think that one more twist here or there will turn them into Neil Peart.

Concerning your bag... That sucks. I am sure that they will do what they should to make it right. On the other hand. Bags suck! Hell, the stupid hard case that came with mine sucks! I am thinking about ordering a custom anvil style case, or something similar, to be able to leave them set up and ready to rock, but be protected.

I find it maddening to have to disassemble a double pedal by removing the beaters, removing the connecting arm, collapsing the arm and then stowing everything away. In the time it takes to put all that garbage together, I could have most of my kit set up. And every time that you are tightening and loosening these wee little lugs, they get just a little more worn, (or lost). It might cost me a little, but pedals are important. I don't want them jostled around with the beaters intact, exposing the bearings to unnecessary lateral pressures.

Anyway, I am glad you dig your pedal man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Road Bull View Post
    Congrats on the new 9000 pedal!

I went from a fairly old DW 5000 (with the skinny single chain), to the beautiful 9002 Double Pedal. I have to say, the thing is smooth.

A few months back I was thinking that I wanted to bring it all back home to Tama. I have played Tama drums for over twenty years and still love them. Last year I replaced all my cymbal stands with newer Tama Road Pro booms. They are simple, to the point, strong, and not too expensive. I have 9000 series double pedals and Hi-hat stand. Initially, I was attracted to the Tama Speed Cobras, but I realized that the long boards were not really my thing. I really like the Iron Cobras too, and I feel that the Tama 900 series Lever-Glide Hi-hat stand is a more user friendly design than my DW 9000 Hi-hat stand. I like how the Tama foot plate just folds up with no fuss. I like the clean two-legged design as well as the simple tension adjustment. The 9000 is a bit more of a pain to break down and put together for gigs.

All the above to say, I decided against it. I have to admit that I really like how fluid the 9002 bass pedals are. I am a set it and forget it kind of guy. I find something that works, and try to get good at THAT setting. I think a lot of people get wrapped around the axle with all the adjustments thinking that a tweak here or there will bring the magic. I don't think it works that way. Sure there are some basic adjustments that help us find the familiar groove that we are used to, but I think many think that one more twist here or there will turn them into Neil Peart.

Concerning your bag... That sucks. I am sure that they will do what they should to make it right. On the other hand. Bags suck! Hell, the stupid hard case that came with mine sucks! I am thinking about ordering a custom anvil style case, or something similar, to be able to leave them set up and ready to rock, but be protected.

I find it maddening to have to disassemble a double pedal by removing the beaters, removing the connecting arm, collapsing the arm and then stowing everything away. In the time it takes to put all that garbage together, I could have most of my kit set up. And every time that you are tightening and loosening these wee little lugs, they get just a little more worn, (or lost). It might cost me a little, but pedals are important. I don't want them jostled around with the beaters intact, exposing the bearings to unnecessary lateral pressures.

Anyway, I am glad you dig your pedal man.
    Sorry for the late response Road Bull. I'll make it good by posting an update. I finally got around to going down to the local mom and pop music store where I bought the pedal and showed them the faulty zipper. I also pointed out to the drum shop manager that the pedal was the outdated version of the DW9000. The manager was embarrassed by the mistake and exchanged the pedal with the newer model which came with a better pedal bag.

New DW Pedal Bag:

Better designed zipper:

Hoop Clamp:

Tri-Pivot Hoop Clamp:

User Info Menu

continued.....

I'm glad DW ditched the Velcro tape on the bottom of the pedal. I was sick of seeing hair and other garbage stuck to the bottom. I also like the fact that the tri-pivot hoop clamp doesn't dig into the hoop but I did notice the infamous 1/8 inch gap between the floor and the heel plate. I don't recall the one I exchanged doing that? Overall, I'm still impressed with the factory settings straight out of the box. I haven't found the need to make any adjustments just yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    Great review Late8. I started out on the DW7002 dbl pedal and then picked up the DW9002 dbl pedal a couple of years ago. I've been extremely pleased with them. A very smooth and solid piece of equipment. I too like having the adjustment options that the pedal offers and being able to experiment and tweek to ones own personal taste. I know it's not for everyone, but it's a good fit for me. You're gonna like the pedal.

The soft case issue stinks though. Have you tried contacting DW to see if they will replace it? Also, the 9000 should fit into your 5000 hard case if you want to go that route for protection when giging.

Good luck and enjoy!
    Thanks DrummerD. I too had the DW7002 pedal. It was really streamed-lined with a narrower footboard than the DW5000 and 9000. I liked having the feel of the footboard tucked under my shoes. Somehow it made my feet feel like they were flying when playing doubles but I know it was only in my head. I suck at double pedal and I find my classic rock stuff I play rarely calls for double bass drumming.

User Info Menu

Thanks for this extended review. I never thought it could get any better than a DW 5000 pedal, and I thought that the 9000 was going to be all hype.

Boy, was I wrong. I love my 9000.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Thanks for this extended review. I never thought it could get any better than a DW 5000 pedal, and I thought that the 9000 was going to be all hype.

Boy, was I wrong. I love my 9000.
    You're welcome Porkpieguy. I felt exactly the same as you did. I held out as long as I could with the DW5000 thinking I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Wow...was I wrong too lol!!
    Last edited by late8; 03-06-2014 at 09:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Why does a pedal need it's own case or a bag? I just chuck mine into the general gig bag with everything else.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Why does a pedal need it's own case or a bag? I just chuck mine into the general gig bag with everything else.

all the best...
    Protection mama always said....

User Info Menu

Protection mama always said....
    Hmmm...at the price of those things, they ought to be able to withstand an artillery barrage!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Hmmm...at the price of those things, they ought to be able to withstand an artillery barrage!

all the best...
    That's like saying because I paid a lot for it I should be able to park my Ferrari at Wal-Mart. These pedals have precision parts and settings in order to be completely noiseless when used. One good knock on the side and the chain rubs the side of the cam. Now your pedal makes noise until you readjust it. Case good. Clickety clackety bad.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

By the way, I have the 8002 long board which is a 5000/9000 hybrid. I love this pedal. I have no doubt that 9000 series pedals are awesome. I have played DW pedals since 1988 and started on the earliest incarnation of the 5000 series. If these are not the toughest pedal, well I would'nt know, none of mine has ever broken down.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

My son had a problem with the EZ Infinite CAM adjuster on his DW9000 pedal. I believe something has gone missing but I can't tell what it is/was? Anyone else had this happen?

timgib1 Guest

I recently picked up the new dw5000. Overall it is a great pedal but I do not feel I am able to do doubles as fast I could on my Pearl 900. I have the tension as tight as I can get it. Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timgib1 View Post
    I recently picked up the new dw5000. Overall it is a great pedal but I do not feel I am able to do doubles as fast I could on my Pearl 900. I have the tension as tight as I can get it. Any suggestions?
    Keep practicing...

timgib1 Guest

Do mean keep practicing because the pedal will brake in?

User Info Menu

Do mean keep practicing because the pedal will brake in?
    Your muscles will "break in". You need to build up new muscle memory with the new pedal just as if you were a golfer and bought a new pitching wedge. The DW5000 feels different from the Pearl 900 because it is. Train your feet...may take some time getting used to the new feel.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure why you need to wind up the spring tension as far as it will go, won't that make the pedal action heavier to operate?

I feel I'm missing something here (not unusual for me), maybe try loosening the tension to see if that helps. You should get plenty of rebound from the drum head and a medium tensioned spring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post

I'm not sure why you need to wind up the spring tension as far as it will go, won't that make the pedal action heavier to operate?

I feel I'm missing something here (not unusual for me), maybe try loosening the tension to see if that helps. You should get plenty of rebound from the drum head and a medium tensioned spring.
    This!^^
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I think the DW5000 Bass Drum Pedal is good enough, even I understand that the 9000 is so good for bounce