Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DW9000 vs DW5000 Bass Drum Pedal

User Info Menu

Default DW9000 vs DW5000 Bass Drum Pedal

I upgraded to a DW9000 (9K) single after spending a few years playing the DW5000A (5K) double and I want to share some pics and my opinion on the upgrade. As always, your opinions are always welcomed as well.

I shopped around for a few days and compared one other pedal which was the Tama Speed Cobra (SC). After reading many positive posts here about the SC, I decided to go down to my local drum shop to test drive both the 9K and the SC. The 9K was listed @ USD $299.99 and the SC @ USD $179.99. I paid USD $245 after a 10% discount and traded in a DW7000 double I never used.

In my opinion, the SC is a solid pedal and fast but the casting and machining on the 9K looked much better and felt a bit heavier (which my foot liked), so I bit the bullet and brought the 9K home and put it up against 5K for a side by side comparo.

In my opinion, the biggest disappointment is probably a very minor one but a glaring issue if I wanted to protect the pedal. It was the DW Bag. It's a huge FAIL.
    The zippers are already split apart and useless.

The 5K came with a heavy plastic case with sturdy hinges and after many gigs, it's as solid as the day I bought it:

Last edited by late8; 11-28-2013 at 01:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW9000 vs DW5000 Bass Drum Pedal

Nice buy! I'm sure the pedal feels great. You should try to contact DW and get that bag replaced. Or if not, can you use the 5000 case? It looks pretty sturdy
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

continued....

The 9K has a wider base and I no longer have any issues with the heel not sitting flat on the floor as I did with the 5K:

The 9K came with an optional strap to give the "floating feel" according to DW:

DW had issues with some of their footboards snapping in half a few years back so I closely inspected the backside of the 9K pedal and found it to look pretty beefy:

Last edited by late8; 11-28-2013 at 01:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Oh so i guess it cant fit in that case than. All those accessories make it seem very customizable though. Have you ever tried a strap driven pedal?
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

continued....

The 9K beater stroke adjustment requires using the Tri-point drum key to adjust the distance between the beater and bass drum batter. It almost requires removing the pedal from the hoop since both hands are needed to line up the hex screw that's attached to the beater assembly with the hole drilled into the cam tower as the Tri-point drum key is inserted into both areas:

The footboard pedal height adjustment is the same with both pedals. Remove the nut at the top of the cam and move the chain into the desired sprocket:

User Info Menu

continued...

The hoop attachment assembly is very slick. Both pedals clamp down nicely on the bass drum hoop and the wing nut on the 9K is sculpted and has a nice feel to it:

Last edited by late8; 11-28-2013 at 01:14 PM.

User Info Menu

great review like usual brother
    you make a great choice on the 9000
    i am on your side on this one

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

For me the 9000 was a little bit smoother but with all of the adjustments it never seemed right.

I CANNOT believe the more expensive pedal came with a different case.... I love having the hardcase for my 5k. That would have been the deal breaker for me lol.

That Pedalboard height adjustment would have been VERY nice.....

Buddy you have some of the coolest gear of out of anyone, congrats on the new pedal, I'm sure you love it, I'd get the bag replaced though
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    Riouel, I see one pedal on the left is for the DB, and one for the Hats, what is the third for?
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

continued....

The tower cam assembly on the 9K has improvements made that the older version 5K lacks. The 9K cam can be adjusted for different torque and pedal response:

User Info Menu

continued....

Footboard pedal length between both pedals are the same but the 5K has a narrower bottom plate:

Both pedals share the same type of stackable heel plate but I found that the biggest issue for some drummers is how high the heel plate sits if the foot is at the farthest point back on the pedal. Some drummers prefer having their heel sit flush on the floor but with the stock height of the 9K the heel plate, it's rather difficult to have that feel:

Last edited by late8; 11-28-2013 at 01:02 PM.

User Info Menu

continued....

I think what impresses me the most about the 9K is the cam and cam tower. The workmanship looks flawless:

User Info Menu

Conclusion-

The 9K single is nicely finished, smooth and has some improvements made from the older version of the 5K. The DW Bag, a minor detail, is probably the biggest disappointment I can mention since the pedal could be priced just north of $300 after taxes and one would expect a better carrying case for a pedal priced that high. The SC comes with a hard plastic case. The Pearl Eliminator P2000 I use came with an awesome case too and priced below the 9K.

Besides that issue, I'm very pleased I went for the DW9000. Right out of the box, the pedal is set up very nicely. I haven't made any adjustments from the factory settings since purchasing this pedal last week and I think I'll upgrade to the DW9000 hihat stand to match this fine pedal in the near future.

Last edited by late8; 11-28-2013 at 01:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    Nice buy! I'm sure the pedal feels great. You should try to contact DW and get that bag replaced. Or if not, can you use the 5000 case? It looks pretty sturdy
    Hi mperialstar15! Thanks for checking out the thread. I'm going to contact the manager of the drum shop and show him the zippers but I'm not going to expect much other than probably another DW Bag? From prior experiences, the hard cases take quite a beating on the road. I saw a hard case that DW sells as an accessory item. I will look into maybe getting a slight discount if I order one through my local drum shop since the DW Bag will probably be the same quality and have the same issues as the one that came with the pedal.

Oh so i guess it cant fit in that case than. All those accessories make it seem very customizable though. Have you ever tried a strap driven pedal?
    I've tried the Pearl Eliminator strap that is interchangeable with the Pearl Eliminator double chain on the P2000 pedal. It has two steel wires that run underneath the strap to provide strength so it wouldn't rip part. The DW nylon strap has the same quality as one you would find on a cheap nylon backpack at a discount store.

I wouldn't trust such a strap unless it was beefed up like the Pearl strap. The light weight of the Pearl strap made the pedal feel like a Direct Drive cam. It was very fast and you never noticed the resistance or lag one feels with a chain. If I needed super duper speed, I'd probably use the Pearl pedal with its Eliminator strap but my genre of music doesn't require such fast bass drumming let alone double time on the kick.

Pearl Eliminator Kevlar belt with steel (2x) wire re-enforcement pictured below:

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    Wow!! Very Nice Ricky!! I'm following your path...I wish I had all of your A Custom Zildjians!! Maybe someday I'll catch up to your fine collection of cymbals soon? I'm looking into some K-Hybrids. Got a quote of USD $1,260 for a full set plus a splash and china.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    For me the 9000 was a little bit smoother but with all of the adjustments it never seemed right.

I CANNOT believe the more expensive pedal came with a different case.... I love having the hardcase for my 5k. That would have been the deal breaker for me lol.

That Pedalboard height adjustment would have been VERY nice.....

Buddy you have some of the coolest gear of out of anyone, congrats on the new pedal, I'm sure you love it, I'd get the bag replaced though
    Thanks Zeta. I'm a little leery about tweeking the pedal right now. It really feels pretty good at the moment right out of the box. My Coleman lunch box is more sturdy that the DW Bag...man what joke! I'll look into replacing the DW Bag with something better. I won't dare stuff the pedal into that bag and take it to a gig. I've dropped the DW and Pearl case from the back end of my truck a few times when I was in a rush to set up and I was confident that nothing happened to the pedals inside. The DW Bag gives me no confidence whatsoever.
    Last edited by late8; 11-28-2013 at 01:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Great choice, Late8!

I use the DW9002 and love it (them?).

Looking at the pics, that looks like the earlier generation, though. The current 9000 has the new "infinite" cam adjustment and no Velcro. The hoop clamp is different, too.

Check out the updates on the DW website.

Congrats, dood!

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in name only View Post
    Great choice, Late8!

I use the DW9002 and love it (them?).

Looking at the pics, that looks like the earlier generation, though. The current 9000 has the new "infinite" cam adjustment and no Velcro. The hoop clamp is different, too.

Check out the updates on the DW website.

Congrats, dood!

Rich
    I'm confused, because the cam on late8's says "infinite adjustable"
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

I'm confused, because the cam on late8's says "infinite adjustable"
    Yes, it does.

But that's the previous version.

The current version (2012 onward) uses a drum key to adjust the cam. The older version uses the hex tool adjustment. Check out the DW9000/DW9002 videos on the DW website to see what I mean.

Cheers.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Yes, it does.

The current version (2012 onward) uses a drum key to adjust the cam. The older version uses the hex tool adjustment. Check out the DW9000/DW9002 videos on the DW website to see what I mean.

Cheers.
    Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up. Late8 did you mean to get the older version? Or did you not even know?
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Riouel, I see one pedal on the left is for the DB, and one for the Hats, what is the third for?
    the third one on the left is a remote cable hihat that i put on the right of the ride

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I'm with Zeta on this 1. Too many adjustments. I could never get that sucker right.

The Speed Cobra was 99% there right out of the box. All I did was tighten the spring 1 click.

User Info Menu

i absolutely love my 9000! there are a million adjustments but i just took mine out of the box and it feels so perfect i've been afraid to even touch it. only thing i've done is replace the beater a couple times when they've worn out. it's perfect for me. i had the same problem as you with the bag. and you'll love the 9k hi hats stand if you like the pedal. i wasn't planning on buying it but after playing the bd pedal i had to.

User Info Menu

Yes, it does.

Cheers.
    Correct. There were subtle changes made during the run. The version below seems to be the first run. Look at the cam tower circled in yellow. It's squared off and the beaters are more egg shaped. This doesn't look like my pedal but not the 2012 version either.

Then there's this version below. Again, I circled the cam tower and beater. The cam tower is more sculptured and the beaters are now more squared off.

Then DW decides to make further changes and ditches the Velcro and uses rubber instead as mentioned and they added these features:

Both pedals now feature our all-new Tri-Pivot Toe Clamp System and Non-Slip Rubber Grip Base Plate for increased stability and a stronger connection between the drummer and kick drum. In addition, we added an EZ Adjust Cam to allow drummers to switch from Accelerator® to Turbo®-style sprockets, or anywhere in between, in no time!

Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up. Late8 did you mean to get the older version? Or did you not even know?
    It looks like I got the 'In Between Version' before the last tweek. The pedal has the sculptured cam towers unlike the squared off version pictured above and my beaters don't have the egg shape to them but uses the Velcro and still uses the Tri-point key to adjust the beater stroke distance.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I'm with Zeta on this 1. Too many adjustments. I could never get that sucker right. The Speed Cobra was 99% there right out of the box. All I did was tighten the spring 1 click.
    You know that's funny you mention the multiple adjustment available on the DW9000 vs the SC. Here's my take on what you posted. Call it human nature but give a person too many options and the choices tend to get in the way. That why we put automatic tranny's in cars. Jump in and drive. For me, all of my cars were manuals; more driver involvement. I want to be able to have as many options available to me as possible. What feels right is all relative to ones own personal taste.
    Last edited by late8; 11-28-2013 at 08:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    You know that's funny you mention the multiple adjustment available on the DW9000 vs the SC. Here's my take on what you posted. Call it human nature but give a person too many options and the choices tend to get in the way. That why we put automatic tranny's in cars. Jump in and drive. For me, all of my cars were manuals; more driver involvement. I want to be able to have as many options available to me as possible. What feels right is all relative to ones own personal taste.
    +1

It makes sense that too many adjustments can get really confusing, but I'm gonna invest in a top of the line pedal, I want it be as comfortable as possible, therefore a lot of options can be good.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by truckerdrummer View Post
    i absolutely love my 9000! there are a million adjustments but i just took mine out of the box and it feels so perfect i've been afraid to even touch it. only thing i've done is replace the beater a couple times when they've worn out. it's perfect for me. i had the same problem as you with the bag. and you'll love the 9k hi hats stand if you like the pedal. i wasn't planning on buying it but after playing the bd pedal i had to.
    Thanks truckerdrummer! I'm glad that you feel as I do on the adjustments. I haven't touched them and won't plan on it since the pedal feels so good with the factory settings. And the bag, wow yours failed too huh? Oh well, time to find something better to haul this to gigs. It would be blasphemy if I dropped the pedal into my Pearl case (no offense to Pearl players, I own a Pearl pedal). So the DW9000 hihat rocks yes?? Good, because I just put one on layaway the day after I brought the DW9000 pedal home. I can't wait for Christmas to roll around. My family asked me what I wanted as a gift this year. I said gift cards from my local mom and pops music store lol!! Easy Peasy!!

User Info Menu

I want it be as comfortable as possible, therefore a lot of options can be good.
    Took the words right out of my mouth! I'm like you. If I can afford it, I want the top of the line.