Thread: 5 minute video of me

User Info Menu

Default 5 minute video of me

A few mistakes, but I did it with no metronome. Tell me what you think.

Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Default Re: 5 minute video of me

it say it a private video i can't see it

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    it say it a private video i can't see it
    sorry about that, try it now
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

i can see it now
    i will try to make a comment in the morning

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Good Stuff.....loved the cowbell work in the fills..........camera picked up the drums and cymbals very well

User Info Menu

sounds good I like the fills off of the rims. I've been playing with that on some fills

User Info Menu

first i want to tell you that i see some chop in there
    Tell me what you think.
    i think it not organise it like free flying
    look at all your video and see where you can improove like you say you rush at some point because you didn't be prepare for your next move

what i suggest you is make a structure of what you want to do (like a song) when all the band know what the other one will do next but just for you like changing tempo etc...

continue your nice work and have fun

cheers

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Sorry you lost me after a minute and a half.

User Info Menu

you love them tambourines huh. One is enough for me lol
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 11-29-2013 at 06:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice basics. Work on your tempo. Did you just "wing" it? If so, work on creating a structure. Kudos for posting.

User Info Menu

Hey imperialstar15 nice chops on the kit.

My thoughts:

#1-Invest in a metronome. Don't feel broken hearted if you're told you can't keep a steady tempo in your head. No matter how many cools fills we can do as drummers, it won't amount to a hill of beans if we can hold down a steady tempo.

#2-Nice set up. You got everything placed nicely around you and it shows that you're comfortable.

#3-Digging the cowbell and tambourine. Percussions around a kit always adds a nice touch.

#4-Tuning of the heads sounds good although a camera mic tends to distort the audio if you push the SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of the mic beyond what it can handle.

#5-Try to break the habit of throwing in a fills on the 4th measure. I catch myself hitting the 4th with a fill and it makes things sound too predictable. Switch it up and you'll hear a big difference in your groove.

#6-Create peaks and valleys in your dynamics. The first 1:30 of the video is played at one dynamic level. By working on your dynamics, you can create movement or a feel in your solos.

#7-Structure you solos as if your telling a story. Have a start, middle and end. Build some tension with some cymbal swells at the start or maybe some soft tasty singles or doubles on the snare as an intro.

#8-When you get to what you may consider the middle of your solo, hit us with a snappy groove. Stay in the pocket in the middle of the solo and establish some sort of groove.

#9-When you reach what you may consider the end, go back to breaking up the groove pattern you had in the middle and drop some in some triplets using only the snare, high tom and kick.

#10-When you finally hit the end of the solo, add what I consider the "period" at the end of a sentence. Make it known that you've reached the end of the solo by adding some type of obvious "period" as if you're saying "I'm done".

You're on the right track imperialstar15!

Best Regards-
    Rich

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post

My thoughts:

#1-Invest in a metronome. Don't feel broken hearted if you're told you can't keep a steady tempo in your head. No matter how many cools fills we can do as drummers, it won't amount to a hill of beans if we can hold down a steady tempo.

#2-Nice set up. You got everything placed nicely around you and it shows that you're comfortable.

#3-Digging the cowbell and tambourine. Percussions around a kit always adds a nice touch.

#4-Tuning of the heads sounds good although a camera mic tends to distort the audio if you push the SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of the mic beyond what it can handle.

#5-Try to break the habit of throwing in a fills on the 4th measure. I catch myself hitting the 4th with a fill and it makes things sound too predictable. Switch it up and you'll hear a big difference in your groove.

#6-Create peaks and valleys in your dynamics. The first 1:30 of the video is played at one dynamic level. By working on your dynamics, you can create movement or a feel in your solos.

#7-Structure you solos as if your telling a story. Have a start, middle and end. Build some tension with some cymbal swells at the start or maybe some soft tasty singles or doubles on the snare as an intro.

#8-When you get to what you may consider the middle of your solo, hit us with a snappy groove. Stay in the pocket in the middle of the solo and establish some sort of groove.

#9-When you reach what you may consider the end, go back to breaking up the groove pattern you had in the middle and drop some in some triplets using only the snare, high tom and kick.

#10-When you finally hit the end of the solo, add what I consider the "period" at the end of a sentence. Make it known that you've reached the end of the solo by adding some type of obvious "period" as if you're saying "I'm done".

Best Regards-
    Rich

I do none of the above. Have no idea why.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    first i want to tell you that i see some chop in there

i think it not organise it like free flying
    look at all your video and see where you can improove like you say you rush at some point because you didn't be prepare for your next move

what i suggest you is make a structure of what you want to do (like a song) when all the band know what the other one will do next but just for you like changing tempo etc...

continue your nice work and have fun

cheers
    Thanks! Yeah it wasn't structured at all, I kinda decided to sit down and see what I would get.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    you love them tambourines huh. One is enough for me lol
    haha well I'm hoping to get the DST one by my ride to be replaced with either a Jam Tamb by LP, or get the Hi Hat one to be replaced with an LP click hat. Not sure yet though.. Thanks for watching!

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Nice basics. Work on your tempo. Did you just "wing" it? If so, work on creating a structure. Kudos for posting.
    Yes I did just wing it, without my metronome. However one thing i find as one of ym weaknesses is without a metronome or a constant groove and structure (I.E if i'm just soloing around), I have more difficulty playing on tempo. Thanks!

My thoughts:

Best Regards-
    Rich
    Thanks for watching and the great advice! I do have a metronome, but I decided to just wing it, without one. Next video I post in the future, I will be sure to have clicking away. The tuning sounds pretty good to me as well, I recorded with a JVC camcorder, I'm not sure what the mic is set too though. And I'll definitely work on not adding fills every 4th measures. And the solo structure thing as well. Again thanks for watching!
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Sorry you lost me after a minute and a half.
    Really no point in posting that. You could have just left the thread. But thanks for watching.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post

Thanks for watching and the great advice! I do have a metronome, but I decided to just wing it, without one. Next video I post in the future, I will be sure to have clicking away. The tuning sounds pretty good to me as well, I recorded with a JVC camcorder, I'm not sure what the mic is set too though. And I'll definitely work on not adding fills every 4th measures. And the solo structure thing as well. Again thanks for watching!
    Very cool that you do have a metronome. I remember watching a documentary that Dave Grohl produced called "Sound City". It was all about recording down in Los Angeles during the Nirvana days. Dave mentioned something that I'll never forget.

When he went in to record his first drum track for the album, the recording engineer noticed that the band would always speed up. During the playback of a track, the engineer pointed out the fact that Dave was speeding up the tempo and in essence, caused the entire band to speed too.

The engineer rigged up a makeshift metronome using some spare parts he had laying around the studio and asked Dave to play to the click. Dave said his "heart felt like it had been ripped out of his chest" when he was told he couldn't keep a steady tempo and agreed to play to the click. The engineer said that Dave was so locked into the click, they decided to use it on the other tracks on their album. The rest is history.

I'm sure you'll follow suit with your next video as you mentioned and use your metronome and I'm really looking forward to seeing and comparing the improvements made.

Keep 'em coming!!

Best regards,

Rich

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I do none of the above. Have no idea why.
    I know why...you're rickthedrummer. To each his own....

User Info Menu

Very cool that you do have a metronome. I remember watching a documentary that Dave Grohl produced called "Sound City". It was all about recording down in Los Angeles during the Nirvana days. Dave mentioned something that I'll never forget.

When he went in to record his first drum track for the album, the recording engineer noticed that the band would always speed up. During the playback of a track, the engineer pointed out the fact that Dave was speeding up the tempo and in essence, caused the entire band to speed too.

The engineer rigged up a makeshift metronome using some spare parts he had laying around the studio and asked Dave to play to the click. Dave said his "heart felt like it had been ripped out of his chest" when he was told he couldn't keep a steady tempo and agreed to play to the click. The engineer said that Dave was so locked into the click, they decided to use it on the other tracks on their album. The rest is history.

I'm sure you'll follow suit with your next video as you mentioned and use your metronome and I'm really looking forward to seeing and comparing the improvements made.

Keep 'em coming!!

Best regards,

Rich
    That's an awesome story late8! I can imagine being a drummer, and being told that you can't keep time is probably the worst thing to hear
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    Really no point in posting that. You could have just left the thread. But thanks for watching.
    Actually no, I meant it as a critique, it was very repetitive, the same beat with fast fills for 2mins straight, slow down speed up use some dynamics keep it interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Actually no, I meant it as a critique, it was very repetitive, the same beat with fast fills for 2mins straight, slow down speed up use some dynamics keep it interesting.
    Thanks for the advice, I know it was pretty repetitive, was just kinda winging it, the next time I make one I'm gonna keep all this in mine
    Happy Drumming!

IS15