Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is anyone else retired here?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is anyone else retired here?

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Stay here close to the kids and Grandkids and freeze or go south where the humidity will curl my last three hairs.
    For me, it will be to stay close to the kids and grand kids!
    My son lives here and has 2 daughters and my daughter lives in Chattanooga about 5 hours from me and she has a daughter and is expecting again.

I plan to hang up my day job in the next 2-5 years, but I will always have something to do. I stay busier on my off time than I do on the days I work.

Take care!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Is anyone else retired here?

Great jobs, dabsdrums and tamashane!

You mean some of us are actually retired?

According to Social Security, I can't retire until 66 and some months, so I have five years to go (to work)! Truth is a lot of us would like to retire sooner, but we can't for one reason or another. Having said that, some of the busiest people I know are retired!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Depends.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Is anyone else retired here?

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Great jobs, dabsdrums and tamashane!

You mean some of us are actually retired?

According to Social Security, I can't retire until 66 and some months, so I have five years to go (to work)! Truth is a lot of us would like to retire sooner, but we can't for one reason or another. Having said that, some of the busiest people I know are retired!

Yeah, I retired from the fire department and after 6 months of taking care of all things I neglected, my brother and I have started our own remodeling business. Not so retired any more! LOL. The great thing about it is, I can start and quit the day when I feel like it!
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I was playing a gig, talking to a guitar player. He was telling me about winding down his business and retiring. I said "you aren’t retired, you're a professional musician." He says, "Naaa, I can't do that." Then somebody walked over, handed him $ 20 and thanked him for playing at the party. Then people asked him to play two more gigs, different places. I think he is sorting it all out. Not everyone is comfortable operating their own business.

User Info Menu

I'm eligible for military retirement...but still going! currently at 23 years. Of course, that's the reserves, so I won't be seeing that money for another 15 years or so. My 3D artist job is still young...a career I chose more later than sooner...only 8 years into this job!
    TEARL

www.BreakingSilenceCO.com

I play PDP (X-7 Maple) and Sabian Xs...mostly because I'm not rich

User Info Menu

I am not retired. I dissolved my contracting business a few years ago and decided to go to college. I also love in upstate NY (Saratoga County). The taxes here, as in all of NY, are outrageous. However being the brat of a Military Officer and having to move quite often I spent years away from extended family (only seeing them on special occasions) so I will put up with NY's reckless and irresponsible spending.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I'm so non-retired that I haven't even found a job yet. Heh.
    Last edited by xweasel; 12-09-2013 at 02:17 PM.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

No more day gigs for me, though I do work around the house and do the cooking, which I particularly enjoy. RC

User Info Menu

I started playing again when I semi retired a couple years ago. I still work a couple/few days a month if I'm needed.

My Electrical Contracting business runs well without me and I am happy as hell to do nothing but bang on the drums all day.

User Info Menu

Need to change the title to
    The AARP Years.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”