Thread: Dw stock resonant heads ok???

User Info Menu

Default Dw stock resonant heads ok???

Ok I'm new to this forum(1st post actually) so I hope to learn a lot from you guys. well last night I spent some time trying to tune my toms. I think I did pretty good actually, but when I got to my 12" Tom I starter to have problems and I just don't seem to get that sound I want. I'm running the stock DW resonant heads, and weatherking pinstripes on top. Resonants still look brand new. But I would like to know, how do you guys tune your toms to sound good? I'm thinking batter needs to be tighter than resonant right? I mean I know tuning is a personal preference, but there's need to be some common way/and sound we all like. Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dw stock resonant heads ok???

Quote Originally Posted by 99saleen87 View Post
    Ok I'm new to this forum(1st post actually) so I hope to learn a lot from you guys. well last night I spent some time trying to tune my toms. I think I did pretty good actually, but when I got to my 12" Tom I starter to have problems and I just don't seem to get that sound I want. I'm running the stock DW resonant heads, and weatherking pinstripes on top. Resonants still look brand new. But I would like to know, how do you guys tune your toms to sound good? I'm thinking batter needs to be tighter than resonant right? I mean I know tuning is a personal preference, but there's need to be some common way/and sound we all like. Thanks guys!
    Welcome to the forums! I have a similar situation to you as I'm running Hydraulics on the top, over stock pdp resos. I still got a good sound out of mine though. I tune my resos mildly tight, not so much though, and then I leave it all to my batter and tend to get a good sound. It's just something you gotta learn to play around with. But remember that the reso head is just as important, so try leaving the batter head alone and tweaking the reso head some.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    Welcome to the forums! I have a similar situation to you as I'm running Hydraulics on the top, over stock pdp resos. I still got a good sound out of mine though. I tune my resos mildly tight, not so much though, and then I leave it all to my batter and tend to get a good sound. It's just something you gotta learn to play around with. But remember that the reso head is just as important, so try leaving the batter head alone and tweaking the reso head some.
    Thanx bud, I also was using hydraulics before pins, but I really didn't like my toms being to thick and dry. So I had this pinstripes and decided to use them. I also thought about using my drum dial, but for some reason I just can find that sound Im really looking for

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 99saleen87 View Post
    Thanx bud, I also was using hydraulics before pins, but I really didn't like my toms being to thick and dry. So I had this pinstripes and decided to use them. I also thought about using my drum dial, but for some reason I just can find that sound Im really looking for
    Well the only way i see the drum dial will help you get a good sound, if you can find on the internet drum dial settings for tuning toms, or something like that. Otherwise it'll just make the heads all evened up, but without the sound you want. Try looking up some ways to tune toms and see if they help
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Thanx imperial, Ill try and google some info on tinning these toms.. Thanx again.

User Info Menu

There is no real secret, other than try as many combinations of tensions and heads as you can (or afford). Most people like the bottom reso heads tighter than the batter heads. Personally, I prefer the batters to be tighter for stick feel and the bottom reso heads looser. Some guys tune both heads the same. What type of sound are you looking for?

Where the drum dial shines is not not really finding the tensions, but in duplicating them. Once you find what you like, take the readings and write them down. Then next time you change or pull a head, you get easily get it back to where you like it ( or very close).
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Yep, what N2b says...and I write my drum dial settings with a fine marker on the heads themselves.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Just to give you somewhere to start - try tuning the resonant head 3 numbers higher on the drum dial than the batter head. I use 75/78 on my 12 tom. As a general rule, the thicker the head, the lower tension you can get away with. The DW stock resonant heads should be fine. I believe all DW heads are just Remos that are rebranded, and not second run quality stuff like a lot of companies stock heads.

User Info Menu

Tuning is personal. Yet there are sounds and overtones that most will agree do not sound very good at all.

I prefer to tune the reso higher than the batter. I always start with the reso first.

I use my ear to get the desired sound. This is all done with the tom off the drum and resting on the floor (carpet to isolate the heads and minimize shell resonance). Then after I achieve the desired sound I put the tom back on the kit and fine-tune it just a bit if needed.

As far as using instruments (dials, tuners) I feel they are a waste of money and time. I learned the art of tuning years and years ago and it took several months- maybe even a year or better- to get the feel and train my ear. However that was one of the most valuable lessons I was taught.

Your ear will tell you what sounds good. Your feel will get you in the ball park of where to begin the tuning/fine tuning.

I am beginning to somewhat understand the idea behind tuners and dials but I have not been convinced that they serve a valid purpose for drum sets.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

DW drums tell you the fundamental note on the inside of the shell. Some digital drum tuners do this too. It is the base that tuning a tube of wood starts from. Reso heads will go bad over time, but for the most part stock heads are just fine. And forget about tuning being personal or a preference. Drums and drummers are not the perfect snowflakes we think we are. Just like tuning any other instrument there is a right and wrong way. The drum will tell you what note it wants to be (the fundamental of the shell). When you say you "can't get the sound you want" what you probably want is a different size drum. You can't make it be something it's not. Tune the bottom head to the fundamental note. The range of the batter head will be within three steps up or down. That is where the drum wants to be and where it will "sound best". These are all rules of thumb.
    Last edited by SunDog; 03-02-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I was watching a tuning video with John Good yesterfay and he states that DW Resos are just Ambassadors with a DW logo on them (in a little different wording).

User Info Menu

most company branded heads are perfect for resos. Diplomat/Ambassador weight
    Last edited by slinky; 11-09-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu