Thread: Audition Question..

User Info Menu

Default Audition Question..

If you were going to audition a drummer for your band, and you wanted them to play a particular song for the audition, would you give them a live copy of the song to listen to, or a studio recorded version of the song, without all the crowd in the background and the flashy fills?

Which would you want to listen to, in order to be auditioned on?
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Studio version. For me I need to here all of the drum parts that are being played. Sometimes crowd noise can drown out certain parts that can be important. The studio version gives you the form and basics of all you need to know about how the song should go from beginning to end.
    In live performances, songs can be extended guitar solos, repeat verses, long intros. big and drawn out endings. That you can add yourself after you have the original song down pact. You can put in your own ideas.
    That's my opinion on learning songs as a band. Start together and finish together. All on the same page. Everyone is in the loop. Good Luck

User Info Menu

i agree, i'd say studio version. easier to listen to... easier to follow.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input guys and gals!!! I was asked to audition and was given a live version of a song, and I don't like it. I really appreciate your input. You all are great!!!

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Default Audition Question...

Hey, Drummer4Him, another vote for the studio version! Whether it's a Spirit-filled church service or a boozy bar, a live recording is never as good as the original if you're tryin' to learn the tune. That makes three of us, bro'--to get the essentials, get the studio version...when you get comfortable with it, then you can build on the basics!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

maybe that's all they had....?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    Hey, Drummer4Him, another vote for the studio version! Whether it's a Spirit-filled church service or a boozy bar, a live recording is never as good as the original if you're tryin' to learn the tune. That makes three of us, bro'--to get the essentials, get the studio version...when you get comfortable with it, then you can build on the basics!

I totally agree. I just dont even know anyone who tries to learn to play by listening to any live recordings. But you are right, it is never as good as the original, even sometimes sounds bad and you rather hear the studio version. LOL!!!! But thanks for the input Bongo and Utop.

User Info Menu

Studio version obviously. But wouldn't it be better if they just played a song and asked you to put a beat to it?surely that would give them a better idea of YOUR style not someone elses?