Thread: Acoustic-Electric Hybrid

User Info Menu

Default Acoustic-Electric Hybrid

Ok, so, i own an electric, I own an acoustic. right now, I have them set up entirely seperately so I can get some quite practice on the electric, but I'm thinking of integrating the two into one set. I know I recently posted that my set is already a bit intimidating, and now I'm talking about adding more to it, but I really would like to play some digital samples along with the kit. It really makes anything possible. My problem is that my kit is REALLY loud, and my electric pushed through my 500 watt surround is still really quiet, even when turned all the way up. Is there any way that I can integrate the two without buying lots of more expensive electronics, and lots of really expensive soundproofing stuff.... or do you think I should just try it with headphones?

User Info Menu

Sounds like you're going Neil Peart on us, Kryshah!

If I were you, I would definitely take the time to get to know the acoustic set up first, especially since you noted that they were a bit intimidating. By doing that, you will get a feel for how to adjust your accoustic feel to the electronic set, and then you will know what kind of additional sound boost you will actually need.

I know this is not what you want to hear. I can feel your excitement over the possibilities all the way here in Tennessee! Been there, done that. I just think you will integrate the two kits better once you get a better feel for the acoustic set. Just my humble opinion.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

As an ongoing Rush fan, I have to say that Neil Peart is my drum-hero. He's an excellent technical drummer... but alas, I couldn't quite handle his kit.... though I'll admit that was my motivation in puttin the electric directly behind the acoustic. But unlike Peart, I don't have a rotating drum stage that I can just twirl around in. They could be played like that by two drummers back to back though, left plenty of room. Anyway... I think I just might leave them seperate and use the electric for quiet practice. It's just not the same though....

User Info Menu

Just don't give up on the idea. I was just suggesting that you get comfortable with the new kit first. Wouldn't want to squash your enthusiasm!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Nah, enthusiasm intact. Just need to pace... first things first... work on rudments with double bass... then move into polyrythms... then rock face like Peart.

User Info Menu

Cool. I'll be enjoying knowing that your drumming is on the rise!