Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made

User Info Menu

Default Home made

So, have any of you guys tried making your own hand drum? Most are pretty simple concepts right? Just take a hollow log either shaped as a barrel, or goblet, and stretch an animals tanned skin over it right? I plan on hacking away at a Maple log till I have the goblet shape... perhaps around 14 to 16 inch head, and half that for the bottom, staining it, and roping a tanned deer skin over it. (I live in Rural WV, so Maple is not hard to find, and my father in law is a hunter, so skin isn't hard either) Anybody have any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Cool Home made

Hey, Kryshah--

if you have the time and the patience, you just might have somethin' there...actually, that's how the very first drums were made...what's come along since is nothing but refinements.

I guess you've studied the designs of other djembes and congas, but it sounds like you've got the idea...

Give it a try! Let us know how it works out!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

You will probably be happier if you stay in the 12" - 14" range as 16" drums are so bass heavy. You just can't get enough pronounced highs out of them. Don't forget, you will also need 2 metal rings to hold the skin in place. What size rings you get will determine how big the drum will be.

I hand carved my own djembe out of a log and I have more love for that drum than any other instrument that I have purchased. Take your time on it and make it a piece that you can be proud of!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

10 to 12 would probably make it a lot easier to find the right log, and it would take a lot less time to carve. I already have a 10 inch djembe, so I wanted to try something a bit more bass-heavy. I do so love the nice pop on the edge though.... no clue where I'll get the metal rings, I've thought of them though, but hadn't yet thought that I could get the rings first and build the djembe around them... I figured I'd just grab the rings once I was done carving... but that would make it hard to find the right size I suppose. Thanks for your input guys.

User Info Menu

Here you go Kryshah, you can order them from these guys:

http://www.africanrhythmtraders.com/

These are great people and will treat you right and they can answer any questions you might have.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I can make yall some homemade cookies........

User Info Menu

I can bake... a bit

User Info Menu

I can't LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    I can bake... a bit
    Me too.

User Info Menu

ok... back on topic. Do you guys think that I could use those metal craft hoops used to make dream catchers? I worry that they may not hold up to the tension of a Djembe.

User Info Menu

Cool Home made

A lot of it depends on 1) how big the shell is; 2) the thickness of your head; 3) the size and strength of the craft hoops.

If your hoop is lightweight, like the kind you'd use to hang a dream catcher outside, it might work. I'm not sure it'll stand up to heavy drumming, because most hand drum hoops I've seen are heavier and thicker than the craft hoops.
    You might want to purchase a craft hoop and compare it to the ones you see on a djembe in a drum shop...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

many thanks bb

User Info Menu

ok, this new drum is not working out well at all. Turns out wood splits as it dries, which is a problem I can fix with wood glue, and some wood filler, but Elm (the log I just happened to get easily) is HARD! I'm having a lot of trouble with the chiseling. Any ideas how to smooth the outside of it without altering the shape too much? (still too rough to sand) I even put a chisel through my bare foot earlier this week (hurt a LOT, and bled even more!) And any suggestions on how I can carve out the inside? Heartwood is much harder than the living stuff on the outside....

User Info Menu

Cool Home made

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had with the drum...

How long has the log been drying? I've heard that wood shrinks and hardens as it dries...not to mention splits...

I guess that's why most wooden drum shells are cut into individual staves, then shaped, and finally glued and clamped back together.

Unless 1DB has a better idea, I think I'd stick with the chisel...but it just hit me that, if you have access to a drill with a large bit, it might help you on the way to hollowing out the inside of the tree trunk. Do you have access to electricity? Drills and sanding disks might help on shaping and removing the inside stuff...

Also for the outside of the shell, you might try using a rasp or a plane to help shape it (and at least to remove the bark).

Needless to say, bro', wear sturdy shoes when workin' around all this stuff...you can always play the drum barefoot when ya got it done! Hang in there!

Charlie

User Info Menu

yeah, definately wearing decent shoes while working now. I thought of a planer, but I think the rasp may be better. I even thought of trying different sorts of saws. I may be better off to just try to make a stave drum anyway. The log that I have is much to shallow to make a Djembe, and the head will only be 11 inches, after removing the bark and smoothing. I may just start over with a bigger log, and a chainsaw. I've tried the drilling thing for the inside, and all I accomplish there is making a big mess. Elm really is hard to work with. It doesn't splinter as evenly as other woods, and just gets messy. On the upside though, elm is resistant to water damage. The English used to use it as piping for primitive sewer systems.

User Info Menu

Cool Home made

you could always make your first drum a doumbek (goblet drum)...

Charlie

User Info Menu

yeah... but I really don't understand the construction of doumbek's, and djembe's are goblet drums too Goblet just refers to the Y shape of the drum. I really think I may try a staved drum first. My father has a veritable woodshop, I don't think it would be hard.

User Info Menu

Thought I'd show you guys what I have so far. It's definately a bigger project than I first thought. I've shaped the outside, but I still have to smooth it. A job in and of itself! Then I get to hollow the inside. And heartwood (the dead inner wood) is much much harder than the living wood on the outside. So hollowing will be the hardest part. No mistakes allowed. Wish me luck guys... and hopefully I won't perform minor surgery on my own foot again!

Last edited by Kryshah; 10-15-2007 at 03:30 PM.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Cool Home made

Look'n good for starters, man!

Take your time...the results will be worth it!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Kryshah i have never carved a shell myself, but i have cut with a table
    saw staves for Ashiko drums and have built about 10 or so. If you go into
    a Guitar center and look at a toca djembe that has a skin tightend by rope
    the weave pattern is depicted really well in the pamphlet. Just learned this recently although
    i figured it out on my own. I have some early pics on my- space you can
    check out over here at ...http://www.myspace.com/jaqueleblue Best of luck with drum building.
    It's a great rewarding feeling to build something you can play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    the weave pattern is depicted really well in the pamphlet. Just learned this recently although
    check out over here at ...http://www.myspace.com/jaqueleblue Best of luck with drum building.
    Hey Jack, you look great for a 99 year old dude

User Info Menu

Cool Home made

Jack--if I look that good in 44 years, God willing, I can't wait!

BTW, I dig that kitchen display picture on your page!

Gonna have to go back and look at your drum-building tips!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Thanks man! I actually have a toca djembe... I think I may still have the pamplet somewhere If not, I can probably find some diagrams online somewhere... oooorrr.... I have several spare lugs, nuts, and can find a rim... I may just make a mechanically tuned hand drum.

User Info Menu

Cool Home Made

Krys...sounds like you're comin' along with your project...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Ok, I'm moderately stumped on this thing. I need to hollow it out, but Elm is HARD, does anyone have any tips or suggestions for hollowing it out? Right now, I'm just going to town with a 1 1/2" chisel and hammer.