Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home made

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    Ok, I'm moderately stumped on this thing.
    Nice pun!

Well Kryshah, the only thing you can really do to help is get a long boring drill bit and go to town on it. Elm is a very hard wood and is going to be a bear to chisel by hand. I carved my djembe out of oak and it took me about a week of constant work to get it where I wanted it. A lot of blood and sweat (and a little bit of cussing ) went into making my drum, but I am more proud of my djembe than anything that I have ever had! (excluding my daughter, of course!) Keep working at it. You'll get there. And it will be well worth it!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Thanks buddy, I think I just may have to invest in a new drill bit or three or four.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Cool Home made

1DB is the man on this on, krys...

besides, once you get this one done, you'll be able to adapt it to other sizes...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

sorry to break in, just wanted to stop by to wish all the percussionist merry xmas in advance. Sorry, i know i am suppose to be a prominent member of this forum but due to some reason above my control i was not able to make it here. But i promise to come back in full force NEXT YEAR! C ya!

User Info Menu

Cool Home made

Don't take that the wrong way, bro'--they still haven't put up a high-five smiley yet ...

kord, you know you're always welcome here--and especially from yours truly! You've given us a lot to think about--and discuss--and I for one am glad to see ya back if only for a little while...

from your brother percussionist, Merry Christmas! See ya next year (if not sooner!)...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Thanks BIG bongobro!

User Info Menu

I recently put a skin head on a banjo and a hand drum...I know that isn't what you are attempting, however for the "skin ring" I peeled an old drum head away from the ring and reused the ring. If you google a banjo site they give useful info for skin manipulation (for using drum lugs). a while ago while googling for a source for the drum skins I came across a site where a dude made his own diembe? (sorry for spelling) and while he wasn't very successful it was a very informative and humourous read.....I may try it myself eventually...but I think my first attempt would be in a soft wood to get the hang of it..and I would be inclined to go with the mechanical type tuning as on a regular drum...I hope that you keep this interesting thread going..good luck
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

I actually bought some brass craft hoops. Usually made for knitting, I think they may hold up pretty well. I just need to get back to carving the drum again, I got side tracked by other projects, but eventually I'll get back on it! I think I would rather have used a different hardwood. I'm using elm, but it may have been a good idea to go with maple, or even oak instead. Elm is VERY hard to carve. But on the plus side, elm is pretty water repellent, the british used to hollow out elm logs for use in very primitive sewage systems, so hopefully once I'm done, I'll never have to worry about water damage...

User Info Menu

Cool Home made

Glad to hear you're at it again!

It'll be interesting to hear how elm works as the drum shell...you may have the next maple or bubinga craze literally in the palms of your hands!

Charlie

User Info Menu

I don't think so... like I said, it's really hard to work with. I don't know that it'll be mass produced the way that Maple and Bubinga are.

User Info Menu

well if it doesn't work out for you there's always a use for it ...as in the British historical reference...LOL
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

post some pics, i want to see how its coming along

User Info Menu

For the rings, simply bend steel dowel into the size circle you want and weld the ends.
    all the best...

User Info Menu

I already have brass rings for it, my biggest problem right now, is figuring out a way to get lots of wood out of the center of it quickly and easily... or quickER and easiER... it's a hard task, this carving elm from the inside out.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Home made

You may already have hit on this, but a friend of mine who carves his own drums uses a chain saw to do the big hollow out. He inserts it straight into the end. You have to be careful because a chainsaw is not designed to be used in a stabbing motion and you can easily slip and put holes where you do not want them. But it does take a lot of wood out in a hurry.

User Info Menu

although not quite the undertaking that you have begun. i built my cajon and love playing it in acustic or "unplugged" gigs. just nothing like playing something you made. its a good feeling. keep after bro, you'll be glad you did.

User Info Menu

post some pics cdaug

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Home made

Quote Originally Posted by cdaug View Post
    although not quite the undertaking that you have begun. i built my cajon and love playing it in acustic or "unplugged" gigs. just nothing like playing something you made. its a good feeling. keep after bro, you'll be glad you did.
    Now I KNOW I gotta see ya for that, man!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    I can make yall some homemade cookies........
    Oatmeal w/chocolate chips please.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    post some pics cdaug
    i haven't taken the time to do the real finish. its just rough and natural right now. sounds good though. i'll post some pics here as soon as i complete the exterior. i could post a couple of build pics i guess.

User Info Menu

i haven't taken the time to do the real finish. its just rough and natural right now. sounds good though. i'll post some pics here as soon as i complete the exterior. i could post a couple of build pics i guess.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS CDAUG CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT) I really want to see them THEIR PROBALY HOT as YOUR CREATIVE ARTISTIC MIND IS for this ART FORM* MI AMIGO GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Default links to build

here a few pics of the build.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/nationpicture.php?pid=22288
    http://www.icixsound.com/vb/nationpicture.php?pid=22292
    http://www.icixsound.com/vb/nationpicture.php?pid=22293

if anyone is interested, i can post some audio.... would like to have some feedback on it.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: links to build

here a few pics of the build.

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/nationpicture.php?pid=22288
    http://www.icixsound.com/vb/nationpicture.php?pid=22292
    http://www.icixsound.com/vb/nationpicture.php?pid=22293

if anyone is interested, i can post some audio.... would like to have some feedback on it.
    Beautiful construction, cdaug...darn right I want to hear the audio...look'n good there, my friend!

Charlie

User Info Menu

really cool cdaug