Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

User Info Menu

Default What do you think?

Here is a song from my band (just joined these guys in May). This one as well as 20 something other songs will be re-recorded in the upcoming weeks. Keep in mind, if it's not obvious, that this is a rough recording- a scratch track. But still fun none-the-less.

I realize that by posting these and asking for OPINIONS I am subject to whatever comes. I will not engage in arguments or defend my drumming or the band. If you don't like it that's fine. But show me the same respect I show to all other drummers that post videos on here, please.

CONSTRUCTIVE criticism is perfectly fine. Please don't leave a comment if you can't be positive. You can be positive and not like it. I always respect others and I expect the same in return.

I'm asking for input, suggestions, constructive criticism. Don't worry about my feelings, I'm a big boy.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thebanda...01-heres-to-me

The name of the band is going to change from The Band Awesome to Failure To Report. Also the website is being overhauled now. The two singers/guitar players scrapped their previous project as they needed more serious players with the same goals. So far things are moving well in the right direction. We are negotiating a deal with White Lake Studios and have already played several gigs and have 4 more lined up to include New Years on First Night.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 12-02-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Default Re: What do you think?

Can't see it here at work DSS.................will check it out tonight.

How's the wife?

User Info Menu

Sounded good to me... sounds like fun to play...

The singer sounds like he has a hint of some southern soul that would be well complemented with a horn section
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I like it! Nothing seems to be out of place musically. Best of luck with them, brother!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Can't see it here at work DSS.................will check it out tonight.

How's the wife?
    Thanks for trying, haha. They have filters and blocks on the computers, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    Sounded good to me... sounds like fun to play...

The singer sounds like he has a hint of some southern soul that would be well complemented with a horn section
    Thanks kickinit. These guys are a blast to play with and their songs are fun. Some are challenging. The singers, Trevor and Frankie, have very good voices that compliment each other nicely. Frankie is singing here. His voice is unique (not so much that it grabs you right away but still cool) and he wants to "sharpen" the vocals up on the recordings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    I like it! Nothing seems to be out of place musically. Best of luck with them, brother!
    Thank you.
    I trust your skills and ears. I have "known" you for almost two years. So if you had some suggestions what would they be?
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Thank you.
    I trust your skills and ears. I have "known" you for almost two years. So if you had some suggestions what would they be?
    Wow, it's been two years already? Damn....time is going by fast for me, lol.

Seriously though man, and not blowing smoke up ya, everything's fine. The two songs do sound great, they have everything I like, guitars and keyboard don't crowd over the vocals (that a Hammond? or something like it? love me some great Hammond playing like that), vocals don't sound weak, and you've done some great (and complimentary) drumming. Reminds me of some musos I've played with in the past. Actually, stylistically, it sort of reminds me of the earlier material bands like The Rembrandts had written, particularly this song.....you reckon?

User Info Menu

Wow, it's been two years already? Damn....time is going by fast for me, lol.

Seriously though man, and not blowing smoke up ya, everything's fine. The two songs do sound great, they have everything I like, guitars and keyboard don't crowd over the vocals (that a Hammond? or something like it? love me some great Hammond playing like that), vocals don't sound weak, and you've done some great (and complimentary) drumming. Reminds me of some musos I've played with in the past. Actually, stylistically, it sort of reminds me of the earlier material bands like The Rembrandts had written, particularly this song.....you reckon?

Thanks man. I appreciate that. Yes, I reckon. I can see/hear the similarities.

Yes, it was a B3 with a Leslie. I don't know that we will have access to it again but we are going to try. If anything a good key player with a nice rig can duplicate it to sound pretty good.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Yeah, thought it would have been a real B3 and Leslie. According to a mate, those things can rarely be emulated so well with synth software....they can come close, real close nowadays, but a good ear can still pick the difference.

User Info Menu

Yeah, thought it would have been a real B3 and Leslie. According to a mate, those things can rarely be emulated so well with synth software....they can come close, real close nowadays, but a good ear can still pick the difference.
    Exactly. The sound of a mechanical speaker twirling in a cabinet paired with an old B3 will never be duplicated. It's the same idea as e-drums. Close but no cigar!
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

You held the tempo right on........good solid playing.........I like it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Wow - thats Solid as a Rock young brother - and being a singing drummer, I Love the harmonies goin on - - the Lead vocalist is spot on the money and you can hear his "attitude" comin thru with perfect dynamics -the keys man is right on it and the bass man is hittin it righteously and your drumming couldnt be better- really tastefully played. If I was a record producer, I would sign you cats in a heartbeat~!! Seriously good stuff~!!!
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    You held the tempo right on........good solid playing.........I like it.
    Thank you, Ricardo, for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Wow - thats Solid as a Rock young brother - and being a singing drummer, I Love the harmonies goin on - - the Lead vocalist is spot on the money and you can hear his "attitude" comin thru with perfect dynamics -the keys man is right on it and the bass man is hittin it righteously and your drumming couldnt be better- really tastefully played. If I was a record producer, I would sign you cats in a heartbeat~!! Seriously good stuff~!!!
    Well, I can only say thank you. Those words are humbling. Thanks Warren.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

^^

drumsetsnide, did you track the drums on those recordings? I was under the impression that these were tracks done before you joined the band.

Edit: After reading your post again for the 4th time, I see where you mentioned "my drumming". Man, very good playing sir. You don't need to engage in arguments of your drumming... your drumming walks the walk!
    Last edited by kickinit; 12-02-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Drumming is spot on to me brother. Realizing it's a scratch/demo track, the drums are a little buried in the mix, but the drumming sounds great. Very appropriate for the music. I thought the drumming on the 2nd track was particularly tasty! Dig that little roll you are tossing in there.

Good luck with the recording session. Take lots of pics/vid if you can. I enjoy seeing guy's set ups in the studio. Will you use your drums or a house kit?
    Last edited by marko138; 12-02-2013 at 02:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    ^^

drumsetsnide, did you track the drums on those recordings? I was under the impression that these were tracks done before you joined the band.

Edit: After reading your post again for the 4th time, I see where you mentioned "my drumming". Man, very good playing sir. You don't need to engage in arguments of your drumming... your drumming walks the walk!
    Thank you kickinit.

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Drumming is spot on to me brother. Realizing it's a scratch/demo track, the drums are a little buried in the mix, but the drumming sounds great. Very appropriate for the music. I thought the drumming on the 2nd track was particularly tasty! Dig that little roll you are tossing in there.

Good luck with the recording session. Take lots of pics/vid if you can. I enjoy seeing guy's set ups in the studio. Will you use your drums or a house kit?
    Thank you for the kind words and your input.

I agree. After hearing this a "few" times there are some things that stand out and some changes we want to make. I do want to fatten up the drums just a bit, maybe boost the eq in certain ranges (not sure about that yet) or just turn up the gain a little on the toms, subtle tweaks on the mic positions… whatever. And I want to make the cymbals a little more bright. I also want to try different snares. That's why I'm a drummer and not an engineer . and that's why we recorded a few songs- to critique ourselves and get feedback from others. I also want to add a little percussion to some of our material- shaker, tambourine, congas, bongos.
    The studio has a couple nice kits (Yamaha's) but I don't see why I can't use mine (I would really like to). The kit on these songs is not the kit I will use in either case when we record.
    I will be sure to get pics/vids. Fortunately my wife and I are treating ourselves to a video recorder this Christmas.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

Right on the money DSS.

I really liked that song a lot, plus the fact that I understood every word the singer said, which hasn't happened in several years.

You are there, my friend.

User Info Menu

It sounds great, I dunno why, but the first song reminds me a tad of Heaven by Los Lonely Boys ( just a tad). Brilliant songs though. What snare and kit did you use during this recording?
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Right on the money DSS.

I really liked that song a lot, plus the fact that I understood every word the singer said, which hasn't happened in several years.

You are there, my friend.
    Thank you Rick. I appreciate the compliment very much. That means a lot coming from an accomplished drummer such as yourself. And all joking aside, these guitarists are a pleasure to play with and to have as friends.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotverygood9 View Post
    It sounds great, I dunno why, but the first song reminds me a tad of Heaven by Los Lonely Boys ( just a tad). Brilliant songs though. What snare and kit did you use during this recording?
    Thank you for the compliment.
    The kit was a Gretsch Cat. Maple at the studio and the snare was my Ludwig Acrolite.
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

"And all joking aside, these guitarists are a pleasure to play with and to have as friends."

When you find the right people to work with, and they also become friends, you can't ask for anything more.

I found that, and it lasted 30+ years.

Much luck with this, Mike.

User Info Menu

sounds excellent good luck

User Info Menu

Outstanding! Great work DSS and thanks for sharing!

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    The kit was a Gretsch Cat. Maple at the studio and the snare was my Ludwig Acrolite.
    I would have thought it was your Gretsch kit.....................sounded great..............you guys are tight together.

Sounds like you have a great thing going.

User Info Menu

Cool tunes!

The first one reminds me a bit of that band "Fastball". The second has a bit of a Toto/Doobie Bros. feel to it.

Very pro sounding.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dabdrums View Post
    sounds excellent good luck
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Outstanding! Great work DSS and thanks for sharing!

Tex
    Thank you Tex! My pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I would have thought it was your Gretsch kit.....................sounded great..............you guys are tight together.

Sounds like you have a great thing going.
    For the rough recording I didn't think it necessary to haul and set up my gear. The kit was enjoyable.

Thank you for the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in name only View Post
    Cool tunes!

The first one reminds me a bit of that band "Fastball". The second has a bit of a Toto/Doobie Bros. feel to it.

Very pro sounding.
    Thank you!!
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro

User Info Menu

DSS, that was very well done!!!

You, my friend, are a great drummer and as RTD mentioned, loved the vocals and clarity.

Now I'm going to be humming this one for the next couple of days. (Not a bad thing at all)
    Signature here