Thread: PDP 6.5" Maple/Bubinga Snare

User Info Menu

Default PDP 6.5" Maple/Bubinga Snare

This superb snare drum is made from 14 plys of Maple, with two plys each both inside and outside the shell of Bubinga, for a total of 18 plys. It's not a light drum. The workmanship and finish is excellent all around. It has 10 double sided lugs, and a DW Mag throw off that's very quiet.

Upon receiving the drum I installed a Remo Fiberskyn head and tuned the drum. With the bottom head looser than the batter it offers a big, fat sound. With the snare head tighter than the batter it's very sensitive and crisp, with very clear articulation. The same drum is also available in 5.5" for a little less money.

This drum compares strongly, in sound and construction, to drums with a much higher price tag, easily making it one of the better bargains in quality snare drums. Two days after receiving it, I used it at a recording session and was impressed with its outstanding tone. RC
    Last edited by RC1947; 12-08-2013 at 07:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP 6.5" Maple/Bubinga Snare

Nice! Looks great man! I been wanting to play one of these but haven't seen one in any of the drum shops I go to

User Info Menu

Nice! They don't have to be expensive to be good.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Nice glad you like it, I have this one and the 8 x 14 and love them both. Congratulations.

Well actually my 6.5 x 14 is the older one with 20 plies with 18 maple and a single ply inner and outer of bubinga, different lugs and lacquer finish, my 8 x 14 is just like this one.
    Last edited by zarrdoss; 12-07-2013 at 08:36 PM.

User Info Menu

I've got one too and agree it's a great snare. I've also got the 20 ply version, it was a complete impulse buy. Saw it in the music store and after playing it a bit I couldn't resist at the price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    I've got one too and agree it's a great snare. I've also got the 20 ply version, it was a complete impulse buy. Saw it in the music store and after playing it a bit I couldn't resist at the price.
    pretty much the same story here; curiousity got the better of me, though this time it paid off. RC

User Info Menu

Nice looking snare.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I own the 14x5,5" with 18 plys maple and love them.
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

thats an awesome sounding snare... I mean the 18ply and etc since I can't actually hear it lol

User Info Menu

Love the color and grain pattern of bubinga. I think it's great that pdp is offering less expensive options for certain types of woods and styles of drums that would normally be well out of reach for some. I can't even imagine how much it would cost for a drum like this if you went through keller and asked for a hybrid shell with the same configuration to it. Enjoy it for me too!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'm not an expert on drums but I ���� as tight as possible and this sound is a good sound for heavy metal it was a very fat sound in combination with a Remo Ambassador Coated batter, now I have the screws very loose and it is very punchy but at a tuning between high and deep and you can hear the strainer after the stroke.
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Love the color and grain pattern of bubinga. I think it's great that pdp is offering less expensive options for certain types of woods and styles of drums that would normally be well out of reach for some. I can't even imagine how much it would cost for a drum like this if you went through keller and asked for a hybrid shell with the same configuration to it. Enjoy it for me too!
    I was looking very long time for a snare I like.
    Wood or Steel?
    First I had a very small budget and had less than 119.-€s and I almost bought a Millennium Snare, a Sonor Select Force Steel but the workmanship was really bad, I was desperate!
    Then I got a higher Budget and had the choice between a Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5,5", Ludwig Supralite Steel 14x5,5, a Sonor Ascent Snare 14x5,5" and the PDP. I
    couldn't try them out in a Store cause we don't have any drum stores here and I heard a file of all and decided to buy the PDP, no regrets.
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

If the ascent is the one with the beech shells, i'd have gotten that for sure.. Just for the fact that it's not that common to see beech nowadays, and i've a feeling it would come in handy at some point down the line. I'd probably still add it later, if nothing else you'd have another sound to pick from - for side snares or a genre that calls for it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments