Thread: Broken bass drum batter head

User Info Menu

Default Broken bass drum batter head

Hi, so yesterday I was doing my usual routine practice when I suddenly noticed that the bass drum's batter head was broken from the point where it gets struck by the right foot beater. Now I was already aware of the quality of the heads and I knew I'd have to get new ones at some point or the other but what I need to know is whether I should replace the beaters as well.

I have Peace heads and Peace P28950 double kick pedals.

I should also mention that the rubber cushion on one of the beaters came off so I've turned it around and I've been using the plastic part of both the beaters.
    Could that have caused it? Or is it that the quality of the beaters or the heads is piss poor? or both?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Broken bass drum batter head

If you use any beater that is not felt, you should always use a patch to protect the head. Of coarse you can use a patch with felt beaters also, but I don't think it's necessary. I use a Remo Flam Slam patch.

User Info Menu

I use the Pearl Quad beaters which has 2 felts and 2 plastic and have used all of the sides at one time or another without any damage. I do have a patch on the batter.

User Info Menu

If you're a heavy hitter and don't have cushioned beaters that probably killed your head, however I am not familiar with that drum head or those beaters, I did a quick search and I'm not sure what you mean by the rubber pads I see they are round felt beaters in the stocks photo or are yours different? I used to use a "flam" pad to prevent this from happening but I haven't lately as I feel you sacrifice sound by using them but that may be your solution. But of course there is always the obvious, sometimes drumheads just break, even high quality heads will one day break, bass drum batter heads especially.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

There's nothing wrong with using the plastic side of beaters, or anything wrong with the beater at all. Just make sure you get a good sounding, durable head, (I recommend Evans EMAD 2, but that's my preference). And invest in a bass patch, your head will double/triple in lifetime because of a ten dollar patch.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

With my experience with bass drumheads. I have never broken one in the 35+ years that I have been beating them LOL. Breaking batter heads on a bass drum is usualy cause by a sharp edge on the beaters or head to loose. I start using the patch 5 yrs ago on the batter not because I had problems with head breaking it was just an experiment to see if the sound would be different and I obvioulsy don't see any.

User Info Menu

I forgot to buy a patch for my new DW kick, forgot to switch the beater to the felt side (was on the wood or plastic side), and went through the head after the 3rd song at a gig....don't do what i did! use a patch....always your head will last many times longer...

User Info Menu

Check your beater rods. If the rod sticks out beyond the chain/sprocket it could rub and tear the head. If it gets close to the head and the pedal gets pushed while playing hard that could be enough for beater rod to bounce against the head too.
    I sold a direct drive Gibraltar pedal that constantly tilted into the head no matter the adjustments to the sprocket and pedal footboard. Some Ludwig Speed Kings made to fit deeper hoops will do that too if the hoops are normal.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Check your beater rods. If the rod sticks out beyond the chain/sprocket it could rub and tear the head. If it gets close to the head and the pedal gets pushed while playing hard that could be enough for beater rod to bounce against the head too.
    I sold a direct drive Gibraltar pedal that constantly tilted into the head no matter the adjustments to the sprocket and pedal footboard. Some Ludwig Speed Kings made to fit deeper hoops will do that too if the hoops are normal.
    I hope you were honest enough to tell that person you sold that pedal to about these problems.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 12-08-2013 at 12:40 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I hope you were honest enough to tell that person you sold that pedal to about these problems.
    Sure did but he really wanted that direct drive. Gibraltar said they'd never heard of the problem, either, and my hoops were my problem! To solve the problem, don't tighten the baseboard to the hoop, set it back an inch! That was Support's answer.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Sure did but he really wanted that direct drive. Gibraltar said they'd never heard of the problem, either, and my hoops were my problem! To solve the problem, don't tighten the baseboard to the hoop, set it back an inch! That was Support's answer.
    Thanks slinglander I kind of figured you were an honest person just from all the post you have had. Sorry did not mean to make you look like a crook lol.

User Info Menu

hard players using hard beaters with no patch = dented cracked broken head.

many patches to choose from. Different thickness' too. i.e. Aquarian has one called super thin. I use the thicker one. I remember a long time ago I wanted a massive click sound and taped a quarter to the head lol. It worked but the quarter got taco shelled. I think it's still in my drum tool box.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    I forgot to buy a patch for my new DW kick, forgot to switch the beater to the felt side (was on the wood or plastic side), and went through the head after the 3rd song at a gig....don't do what i did! use a patch....always your head will last many times longer...
    Curious what you did for the rest of the gig?

I have put a metal patch on a sk2 and after a few weeks the edge of the patch cut through the 1st ply of the head and created quite a tear. I have also had the metal end of the beater dig into the head from having the pedal too close so check that as well.

Peace heads suck so I would replace those with any remo.evans, or aquarian head. I don't like plastic beaters but if you do than definelty put a patch on the head.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    I have put a metal patch on a sk2 and after a few weeks the edge of the patch cut through the 1st ply of the head and created quite a tear.
    you don't say... a metal patch tore your skin?

User Info Menu

Curious what you did for the rest of the gig?

I have put a metal patch on a sk2 and after a few weeks the edge of the patch cut through the 1st ply of the head and created quite a tear. I have also had the metal end of the beater dig into the head from having the pedal too close so check that as well.

Peace heads suck so I would replace those with any remo.evans, or aquarian head. I don't like plastic beaters but if you do than definelty put a patch on the head.
    I duct taped some cardboard to the head...a lot of duct tape....not too much tonal quality for the rest of the gig, but we got thru 'er...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
    you don't say... a metal patch tore your skin?
    Yes I do say : )..tore a hole and I peeld the 1st layer away and still used the inner layer for awhile without the patch of course. I remember thinking it still sounded pretty good and maybe next time I would get an SK1.

I duct taped some cardboard to the head...a lot of duct tape....not too much tonal quality for the rest of the gig, but we got thru 'er...
    Good on you, I have never needed it yet but I always take a whole roll of duct tape to every gig because of stories like that.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

well you know what the say...

if it's Broken Duct it... if you can't duct it... $%# it! hahahaha

I always put nice beater pads on all my heads for extra reinsurance

User Info Menu

Yes I do say : )..tore a hole and I peeld the 1st layer away and still used the inner layer for awhile without the patch of course. I remember thinking it still sounded pretty good and maybe next time I would get an SK1.
    Sorry dude, my reply was supposed to be playful sarcasm as putting anything metal on your drum head and hitting it hard enough will break it through... The smily didn't come through tho' sorry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
    Sorry dude, my reply was supposed to be playful sarcasm as putting anything metal on your drum head and hitting it hard enough will break it through... The smily didn't come through tho' sorry.
    NP bud, I was being sarcastic too. It was actually the 1st patch I ever bought and I think it was a danmar patch and they still sell em. It actually has a thin piece of metal sandwiched in it. Lesson learned on that one : 0
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

NP bud, I was being sarcastic too. It was actually the 1st patch I ever bought and I think it was a danmar patch and they still sell em. It actually has a thin piece of metal sandwiched in it. Lesson learned on that one : 0
    A lot of the metal drummers used a coin between the skin and the patch in the '90's (Vinnie Paul of Pantera used to I believe), can't see it myself, I don't like that hard "dink", prefer a natural sound.

User Info Menu

Red Green would be proud! (inside Canadian thing! LOL)

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Red Green would be proud! (inside Canadian thing! LOL)

all the best...
    Not kidding you but Red Green is well known all over the world not just in Canada.

User Info Menu

Any beater should be fine as long as there are no burrs or sharp edges. they should be adjusted so they are hitting square and not on an edge. Don't sweat one torn head. If you replace it with a quality head and it happens again after you've inspected your equipment then I would have someone else look at it. You can always throw you bass and pedal in the car and have your local drum dude inspect it for you.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

I bought this sticker at an auto part store a few years back.