Thread: Shure SE215 (in ear monitors)

User Info Menu

Cool Shure SE215 (in ear monitors)

Hi, i need in ear monitors for drumming, so right now i am thinking about Shure SE215. Just wanted to know, do any of you guys have used them, and what do you think about them?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Shure SE215 (in ear monitors)

I have used those same ones, Imo they were great for sound isolation but with only one mirco driver the sound was not as crisp as i would have liked. I would save for the multi driver ones that pick up more of the sounds of each instrument in the song. I wound up gooing back to my Vic Firth head phones and used my Shures for my ipod. Better yet i want some in ear molded ear phones but they are $$$$$$$$
    Last edited by cc1918; 12-08-2013 at 11:09 AM.

User Info Menu

I use the 215s and love them. No complaints. That being said, these are the best quality ear buds I've ever used so I really don't know the difference between these and something on the level that cc is recommending. I'm sure his advice is spot on as well.

Tex

User Info Menu

I never tried the Shure SE215's, but I do own and use the Shure SE425 for gigging and absolutely love them. The 215 has a single driver whereas the 425 has a dual driver which gives a wider frequency range. However, you're looking at a $200 difference in price. Regardless, from what I see, the SE215 is rated very well. If the SE425 is out of your price range, then SE215 may be a good fit. Also, Texdrumr has already verified that the 215's are a decent. But, as CC mentioned, the dual drivers will provide a crisper sound. I purchased the SE425 just for this reason. I also looked into molded in-ear monitors, but they started out @ $1,200. A lot more than I wanted or could spend. From my research that I did before making my purchase, I read many comments that the Shure in-ear monitors were the best that you can get for the money before going to the next level which is the professional molded models.
    PLEASE NOTE: If you decide to purchase in-ear monitors, you're going to need a headphone amplifier as well!
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

First question that I think was overlooked is: what are you going to use them for?

Gigging? practice? in a band?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    PLEASE NOTE: If you decide to purchase in-ear monitors, you're going to need a headphone amplifier as well!
    I recently picked up some 425s. I haven't tested them in a live setting yet. I bought them for church drumming and will use them with an Aviom personal mixer. I'll found out tomorrow how they work for me as IEMs.

I have been using the 425s to practice along with music from my iPhone, using an EQ app and the music sounds great IMO (however I'm no audiophile). When would a headphone amp be necessary?
    Last edited by areFish; 03-05-2014 at 03:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I use them every week, and they work great for monitoring. I'm sure the multiple drivers sound better, but I'm not using them for mixing (which I'm pretty sure isn't common practice anyways).

I just need them to hear my click and a few other instruments just to know where I am in the song. I like the idea of isolation as well. If the sound is isolated, it helps with hearing protection 2 ways: 1. You aren't phased by stage volume, and 2. You don't have to have the monitors as loud as you would with open headphones or a floor wedge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    When would a headphone amp be necessary?
    Sorry areFish, I could have went into a little more detail of why I said that a headphone amp would be needed. I made the statement with performing live in mind. If you don't have a separate board or source near you to plug them into, they're not going to be of much use. Depending on what you get, the amp allows you quite a bit more control over what you are hearing (go to the link below). I can control the incoming mix volume level, my vocal mic volume level and the overall volume level of what I'm hearing through the headphones. I have this control right at my fingertips constantly. IMO, it doesn't get much better than this!

See my post here: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...630#post582630
    Last edited by DrummerD; 03-06-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

I gotcha ya. I had a chance to put the 425s through their paces last night. Wow! I could hear everything I wanted to hear with clarity. I did have some ringing in my ears after rehearsal due to having the click turned up a little high. I'll tone the click down next time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    I gotcha ya. I had a chance to put the 425s through their paces last night. Wow! I could hear everything I wanted to hear with clarity. I did have some ringing in my ears after rehearsal due to having the click turned up a little high. I'll tone the click down next time.
    I used to have the click so high that whenever I would turn it on, my eyes would blur for a good 4-5 seconds. I keep it substantially quieter now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cc1918 View Post
    I have used those same ones, Imo they were great for sound isolation but with only one mirco driver the sound was not as crisp as i would have liked. I would save for the multi driver ones that pick up more of the sounds of each instrument in the song. I wound up gooing back to my Vic Firth head phones and used my Shures for my ipod. Better yet i want some in ear molded ear phones but they are $$$$$$$$
    Hi

I wish my band used in ear monitors. Right now each member has a traditional Carvin powered stage monitor ( 15" with a horn )

I have heard thee IEM thing only works well when you buy really high end stuff and I understand it's a big $$$$$$$$$$$$ investment.For some bands it involves not buying merely the in ear monitors but a new board and power amps

blue