Thread: bass head?

User Info Menu

Default bass head?

hey everyone.

i love my big old superstar. sounds fat, loud as hell. sound guys love it. the big kick doesn't always translate on recordings though. recently i picked up a royce which is mahogany. old off brand but sounds real concert tom like and warm and has a more classic 22x14 bass. i'm likely going to use the royce for recording and my tama for live/practice purposes. i was wondering if anybody has advice on a head choice for recording. i'm tempted to try a single ply for the first time in my life. i never really like the emad/sk2 kinda premuffled heads cause i can never hear them over my damn guitarists but i figured perhaps i can use something muffled or single ply for recording purposes. also would i be able to get a punchy sound with no port? no front head? any experience, comments, insults welcome

User Info Menu

Default Re: bass head?

Remos PS3 great single ply bass batter head. Been using that particular head for years and have that nice loud boomy sound that you want out of your bass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Remos PS3 great single ply bass batter head. Been using that particular head for years and have that nice loud boomy sound that you want out of your bass.
    +1 If you want a big sounding bass drum these heads are fantastic. Single ply, but has the ring on the edge to control it just a little bit.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    +1 If you want a big sounding bass drum these heads are fantastic. Single ply, but has the ring on the edge to control it just a little bit.
    Thanks man. Most drummers swear by them Emads and I am not convinced enough to try them.

User Info Menu

you mean Royce as in the drums Sears used to sell?

all the best...

User Info Menu

i will probably try something remo or aquarian. my friend had a powersonic on his ludwig maple i liked a lot. evans to me seems too nice of a sound not punchy or slamming enough ya know. not br00tal enough ;P
    perhaps, too refined. coated, clear? for recording purposes i like a round sound. any difference between the powersonic and powerstroke?

User Info Menu

and yes i believe it was something sears made. those kinda made in japan things that i still think are as good feeling as high end modern kits

User Info Menu

i really like the aquarian sk10

User Info Menu

I have a Powerstroke 3 on my 22 x 14 with a ported reso head and it's a serious thumper!

User Info Menu

Not 100% sure, but I think Royce was one of the off brands made by Pearl (?)...at least the older ones maybe. If so, I believe they're the exact same drums as my Maxwins. They are just cheap, thin Luan, but the quality of the wood plies, hardware and shell construction is excellent. They were the first drums made in Taiwan, in the same factory Pearl still uses, and they became the Export line.

Mine is 22x14, and I have a coated Powerstroke 3 on the batter and a plain single ply clear reso that I painted with white spray can. I also added a foam ring to it that was left over from an old EMAD head I put on my other Premier kit. I have a 4" port cut in the reso, and it sounds great. Tight and punchy, with just a hint of resonance and a nice feel. I have no idea what it would record like, but it sounds great live.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham