Thread: Another newbie question

User Info Menu

Default Another newbie question

Hello everyone,
    I hope I can explain this so it makes sense. I have been learning the bongos since July, practicing the Martillo and other rhythms, and watching videos on youtube. When I watch other people play the bongos it actually sounds like music. But when I listen to myself play it sounds really mechanical and stiff. Is this normal for a beginner? Is there anything I can do to make my playing more fluid?
    Any suggestions will be appreciated,
    Chuck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Another newbie question

I think it takes time.

Make recordings periodically and listen to yourself.

Play with and without backing tracks, videos, radio, other musicians. Just keep working at it.

User Info Menu

I think it will help a lot if you're able to jam with other musicians. Really that is something that just develops over time as far as I can tell but I think that could speed up the process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoNut View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I hope I can explain this so it makes sense. I have been learning the bongos since July, practicing the Martillo and other rhythms, and watching videos on youtube. When I watch other people play the bongos it actually sounds like music. But when I listen to myself play it sounds really mechanical and stiff. Is this normal for a beginner? Is there anything I can do to make my playing more fluid?
    Any suggestions will be appreciated,
    Chuck
    It is very normal. You are not seasoned yet. It takes time and won't happen over night. The best suggestion is to just keep doing what you're doing... playing, practicing, studying, jamming, listening, etc. You might also consider some lessons with a pro. They can bring things to the table that you won't get from the net.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Listen to as much as you can, it helps you develop and main thing is practice. One thing you will never get away from is practice

User Info Menu

drummer said it very well. Keep learning, practicing and playing. Eventually you will get a feel for the nuances that and soul and feeling that take the "sharpness" and robotic feel out of it.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

The only suggestion I can offer is to try to relax and FEEEELLL the music. Let go of any fear you might have about your abilities. Try to clear your mind, let the music flow through you and play from the heart. I know it sounds corny, but just try it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement! I will definitely keep practicing. What are some good albums to play along with? I have been listening to Quarteto Patria, the bongos really stand out on that album. Also some Chano Pozo and Arsenio Rodriguez. What are some other suggestions?

User Info Menu

I like La Yegros, it's Cumbia style.

User Info Menu

I think everybody's advice, especially N2Bluz, is great. I had the same observation about my own practice. One thing I noticed for myself is that, when I was able to speed up what I was doing, it sounded more like "music". In order to speed up, practice and more practice. I use a metronome and will slow down until I feel comfortable, then speed up, then speed up some more.
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    12" Toca Synergy Vuur Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    8" X 14" Mid-East metal Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum
    ...and more to come, I hope...

User Info Menu

I have always envied people who can play the bongos, I've always thought a lot of Christmas music could use some bongos in them and tis the season, and then you could go caroling after you practice, or your practice could be caroling! Besides that your probably doing just fine for where your at, we all start small.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Not so much from the bongo playing perspective, but I remember it took me aaages to get a good floating heel-toe (heel of hand to fingertip) double roll on conga heads (had help thanks to my conguero buddy Alex, where in music school I'd practice it slowly on table tops!) Nowadays I don't even have to think about it too much. I'm a kit drummer first and foremost, but irrespective whether playing snare, kit, hand percussion or tuned percussion, take it from me, any beginner is going to sound mechanical at first. Just got to allow for time, that's for sure.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Another newbie question

R - e - l - a - x , bongonut. Practice as often as you can, Chuck, and with as many musical sources as you can. But remember it takes time to lose the mechanical feel. And trust me, bro', it will come and you'll know it. Even Chano Pozo and Arsenio Rodriguez had to start somewhere.

from one bongo man to another!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Another newbie question

Quote Originally Posted by The_Epsicle View Post
    I have always envied people who can play the bongos, I've always thought a lot of Christmas music could use some bongos in them and tis the season, and then you could go caroling after you practice, or your practice could be caroling! Besides that your probably doing just fine for where your at, we all start small.
    If you didn't try it this season, Epsicle, I recommend "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" for congas and bongos. Its "walking" beat works well in a jazzy arrangement and sounds cool (one of my favorite hand-drumming Christmas songs!).
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck