Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever get that feeling?

User Info Menu

Default Ever get that feeling?

I'm sure this has been covered in a thread before, but has anyone ever had a bad day on the set, and you feel like your not even good at drums, or more specifically been rejected in terms of music, or others have been picked for a gig, or performance instead of you? How do you react, what do you do? Happened to me today, and it reminds of how bad of a feeling it can be
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ever get that feeling?

Tomorrows a new day.

User Info Menu

I may hang my head low for a few minutes then I pick it up, look ahead and move forward. Stuff happens.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I should put some of my practice sessions up that I taped. You would all get a good laugh, and I would be banned forever because I come up with words that truck drivers never heard.

User Info Menu

Henry Ford once said "Whether you think you can or cannot... You're correct."

Positive attitude, and a desire to learn something new everyday will serve you well in life, not just drumming. Sure, you get frustrated or worse sometimes, we all do. It isn't about never falling off the horse, it's how eager you are to hop back in the saddle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    I'm sure this has been covered in a thread before, but has anyone ever had a bad day on the set, and you feel like your not even good at drums, or more specifically been rejected in terms of music, or others have been picked for a gig, or performance instead of you? How do you react, what do you do? Happened to me today, and it reminds of how bad of a feeling it can be
    Some days I feel like I do a good job, other days I wonder why I even bother picking up a pair of sticks. I have to stop and remember that I play for fun and the love of making music with others. My skill level (or lack of) doesn't change that fact. Obviously, it's more fun when you play up to the best of your ability, but that's life. It's the "downs" that make the "ups" so special. I have so many responsibilities in life that I refuse to let any self-generated insecurities deprive me of something that I love to do.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

It's very normal. I've been through it so many times it's not funny. I once at a Vinnie Colaiuta clinic where he kept saying how much he sucked that day and he was apologizing for playing so bad. Of course he was freaking amazing! We're often our own worst critic. You probably weren't as bad as you thought. Keep a good positive spirit. Remember the old saying, "Momma said there would be days like this."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ettsn View Post
    Henry Ford once said "Whether you think you can or cannot... You're correct."

Positive attitude, and a desire to learn something new everyday will serve you well in life, not just drumming. Sure, you get frustrated or worse sometimes, we all do. It isn't about never falling off the horse, it's how eager you are to hop back in the saddle.

-------

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    has anyone ever had a bad day on the set, and you feel like your not even good at drums, or more specifically been rejected in terms of music, or others have been picked for a gig, or performance instead of you? How do you react, what do you do?
    You have two different things here:

1) feel like your not even good at drums - That's my signal that it is time to sleep.

2) rejected in terms of music, or others have been picked for a gig, or performance instead of you

Rejection hurts. Nobody wins 100 % of the sales presentations. I find that to get more gigs I have to make more presentations but also get rejected a lot. I get a lot of gigs.

I auditioned for a well known local band about 10 months ago. They did not call me back. I must have played 100 gigs since then, probably more. I'm searching internet, Facebook trying to find where that band is playing. They played maybe three gigs. Good thing I didn't get stuck with them, they are just not happening.

jmastrodimos Guest

I auditioned for a band about a month ago. During the audition I felt cool, calm and collected. I knew I played well. I had been told that the band was auditioning a large number of players. A few days after the try-out, the band sent me a recording of the audition, which confirmed my feeling. I had played very well.

Two weeks later I got the results, and was told that I had placed a close second. I was hurt and disappointed. I remembered a saying from the old, wild west. "There's always a gunslinger out there who is faster." I'll get over it.

John

User Info Menu

There will always be someone better than you. There will always be someone not as good as you. Be the best you can be and put it out there. There is a good fit for everyone (just ask Mr. Watts & Mr. Starr). Tough part is finding it. Can't let it get you down.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 12-16-2013 at 06:34 AM.

User Info Menu

all it takes is a distraction...another words if you had a rough day at work, school, with spouse or significant other..you may just NOT be in the right mind-set to play....it happens! like the others have said..stop and start again later or another time.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I find that when my focus and motivation shift my playing is affected. When I focus on playing for others and my motivation is to impress them I have to stop and think. Usually when that thinking starts in, it's because I'm playing for my ego. The real reason I play is because I have been given a gift and I love to play. Being in a band and getting compliments as well as being able to play gigs and record and all that other stuff and having fun while playing are just the blessings that happen when I stay focused and true to myself and my higher power. If my motivation is to impress others, be popular, receive compliments, be in a band (or two or three), make a record… then I have lost respect for myself, my creator and anyone that I play for or with.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmastrodimos View Post
    I auditioned for a band about a month ago. During the audition I felt cool, calm and collected. I knew I played well. I had been told that the band was auditioning a large number of players. A few days after the try-out, the band sent me a recording of the audition, which confirmed my feeling. I had played very well.

Two weeks later I got the results, and was told that I had placed a close second. I was hurt and disappointed. I remembered a saying from the old, wild west. "There's always a gunslinger out there who is faster." I'll get over it.

John
    You guys are all at a different (way higher) level than me. I've never really had to audition for a band or gig. The caliber of bands I play in are lucky to find a decent drummer that is even available. Here's what I don't understand;

How does a band like that choose a drummer from a large number of applicants that are all good? Is it just how fast or complicated they can play? What about things like taste, personality, character, etc.? How can they determine that from an audition tape? I know of several drummers that are extremely talented, but never last more that a few months with any band because they are so hard to deal with. The bands I play with would much rather have a drummer that might be less talented, but is a team player.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    You guys are all at a different (way higher) level than me. I've never really had to audition for a band or gig. The caliber of bands I play in are lucky to find a decent drummer that is even available. Here's what I don't understand;

How does a band like that choose a drummer from a large number of applicants that are all good? Is it just how fast or complicated they can play? What about things like taste, personality, character, etc.? How can they determine that from an audition tape? I know of several drummers that are extremely talented, but never last more that a few months with any band because they are so hard to deal with. The bands I play with would much rather have a drummer that might be less talented, but is a team player.
    Very insightful N2Bluz. This is why I say that there is a fit for everyone. It's not always about the level of talent. Yes that matters. You can't suck and expect to earn a place with a band, but, the things that you mention like chemistry, personality, genre, style and many others also go into the equation. Also this is why when you don't get chosen after an audition you can't get down and say it was because you weren't good enough. Maybe it just wasn't the right fit for any number of reasons.

User Info Menu

When that happens (and it does) I just take some time off or go play my guitar. It all evens out over time.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I guess if its just for 1 or 2 gigs, then playing abilities can take priority. If it was for a long-term band membership, then it should be more involved....more like a marriage as opposed to a one-night stand. I would be scrutinizing the band just as much they would be me.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

After reading through this thread, this cartoon came to mind

User Info Menu

Ha. That's how it is sometimes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Tomorrows a new day.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I should put some of my practice sessions up that I taped. You would all get a good laugh, and I would be banned forever because I come up with words that truck drivers never heard.

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    There will always be someone better than you. There will always be someone not as good as you.
    Very true. This is one of the few constants in life, I believe. Just gotta learn to understand it (which is easier said than done!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Maybe it just wasn't the right fit for any number of reasons.
    There have been many good responses given, and I'm just going to dovetail onto inthpktplayer's comment. There is a saying that "one man's trash is another man's treasure." Whether someone appreciates our skills . . . or not . . . may have very little to do with our skills. So don't ever get down on your skills just because someone else doesn't appreciate them. And never forget that there are a great number of people that would give their right arm to be able to do what we do. They can't because they either just weren't born with the talent for rhythm, or they never have the time to commit to the required practice.

Oh we fortunate few!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post

I used to have that pic on the wall of a drum room that I had years ago. Might have to get a copy and hang it up again to remind people that that's what you got to take care of first and foremost when you're learning to play. Everything else is just icing.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmastrodimos View Post

John
    Happened to me a while ago too, bud. I also came a close second. I used to get disappointed when I was younger, but nowadays I just shrug my shoulders and go "Oh well, another time, another band." I think I'm getting more relaxed in my older age, hmm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    It's very normal. I've been through it so many times it's not funny. I once at a Vinnie Colaiuta clinic where he kept saying how much he sucked that day and he was apologizing for playing so bad. Of course he was freaking amazing! We're often our own worst critic. You probably weren't as bad as you thought. Keep a good positive spirit. Remember the old saying, "Momma said there would be days like this."
    Don't forget, Jeff Porcaro was once quoted as saying "My time sucks".....which just had to be the most ridiculous thing he had ever said.....most of us know how great his timing was. He was just a great, self-effacing humble guy. I'm sure even he would be spinning stories about his bad days in the studio to any drummer listening if he was still around. Bad days have happened to even the greats like him, Vinnie and others. That's just the human nature of playing.

Got to agree, Vinnie in clinic is absolutely amazing.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Ever get that feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    And put the Shirelles' record "Mama Said" on the turntable or in the CD player as a musical reminder (it has some great early-'60's drum breaks on it, too).

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post

True, bro'. It's not the fancy drumming that gets ya the gig...it's the day-in, day-out, 4/4 work that gets ya there. Until you get the basics down, you can't go fancy without really making a mess of things (but you can still learn from that, too!) ...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck