Thread: Hearing

User Info Menu

Default Hearing

I was driving through the main street today and saw a mobile-home type of bus/truck parked on the side of the road. The words emblazoned down the side of it said "Free Hearing Tests".
    I pulled over and went in; why not I thought.

I suffer mild tinnitus in the left ear which drive me nuts sometimes.

I was taken inside a sound-proof booth where I sat down with noise-cancelling earphones placed on my head/ears. Noises are then transmitted and I have to press a buzzer I'm holding in my hand.

My right ear is fine. Results are my left ear has suffered some hearing loss which is no surprise to me but the audiologists said that the diagonal direction of the hearing loss test is usually associated with sudden trauma to the ear and possibly not from excessively loud constant noise. I was surprised. My high pitch is left ear is okay, but the low pitch is damaged.
    I will be off to get more test done soon.

I know I'm preaching to the converted, but wear hearing protection all, (even the invincible teenagers among us).

Last edited by EyePea; 12-18-2013 at 03:49 AM. Reason: typos, spelling

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hearing

i've started wearing ear protection when rehearsing, i know i've done some damage.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

So what happens at less than 500 cycles per second? I don't understand the chart. Do they test at less than 500 cycles per second?

User Info Menu

Too late for me. My ears where damaged many years ago when I was young and stupid. Around too many chainsaws, motorcycles, snowmobiles, drums etc. I now wear 2 digital hearing aids which is great but without them my life is pretty silent. So you young guys protect your ears when you can cause once gone you can't get them back.

User Info Menu

Too late for me too. Considerable damage and a daily ringing. You learn to tune it out but it's still not fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    So what happens at less than 500 cycles per second? I don't understand the chart. Do they test at less than 500 cycles per second?
    Yes they do but not in the mobile van as the outside environment (noise) is too high.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Too late for me too. Considerable damage and a daily ringing. You learn to tune it out but it's still not fun.
    I don't have any ringing in the ears anymore sincce I quit smoking. Smoking is known for causing that too.

User Info Menu

Then, since I don't smoke, maybe if I start my ears will stop ringing.

User Info Menu

Some meds can cause ringing not always do to hearing loss. Please have it checked out. Im afraid the kids of today are going to pay later on with all the ear buds and loud playing in them . At least we got it from loud concerts.

User Info Menu

Sorry about your hearing issues EyePea. As you can see, you're not alone. I myself have done some damage to my hearing over the years. Thanks for sharing the results here on DC. It's good to post warnings like this and keep fresh in everyones mind how valuable hearing protection is.

On a lighter note, I find it funny that they put a picture of a guitar and not a drum set at the highest decibel levels on the chart. Do you think that they're trying to get the word out that guitar players need to TURN DOWN THE VOLUME!!! I know I've played in bands with a couple guys that probably had some bearing on my hearing loss.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

I have hearing loss in my right ear. Can't hear things well on that side. when someone talks to me on that side I'm always saying what did you say, drives my wife crazy. To much loud music with headphones loud drums' rock concerts and the tour in the service

User Info Menu

Sorry to here about of your damaged ears guys. I can imagine how it must stink to have even a little hearing loss as a musician. This only pushes me further to protect my hearing as much as I can, especially since I'm such a young age right now.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    Sorry to here about of your damaged ears guys. I can imagine how it must stink to have even a little hearing loss as a musician. This only pushes me further to protect my hearing as much as I can, especially since I'm such a young age right now.
    Kudos to you imperialstar15! I'm glad to hear (no pun intended) that some of you younger guys are taking this issue seriously.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    Well done.