Thread: Drum Flubs I

User Info Menu

Default Drum Flubs I

Just a old fart playing the drums.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Flubs I

Impressive drumming as always Rick. You look great and your drums sound great what else can I say WOW. You make it look so darn easy man. Old age ain't slowing you down lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Impressive drumming as always Rick. You look great and your drums sound great what else can I say WOW. You make it look so darn easy man. Old age ain't slowing you down lol.

Thanks Gilles, I really appreciate that.

User Info Menu

Brilliant playing as always.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
    Brilliant playing as always.

Thanks thunderstruck. As always, I appreciate your good words.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post

Just a old fart playing the drums.
    Nope I wont say it you cant make me lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    Nope I wont say it you cant make me lol

Well, I tried.

User Info Menu

man, what can I say but that was great. You move so fast and smooth around those drums. I see you use the traditional grip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dabdrums View Post
    man, what can I say but that was great. You move so fast and smooth around those drums. I see you use the traditional grip.

I've been using traditional grip for 57 years, but I'll go to match for certain things.

User Info Menu

Buddy Rich written all over that. Nice playing Rick!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Buddy Rich written all over that. Nice playing Rick!

Thanks Olimpass. He was my biggest influence when I was young.

User Info Menu

That was going to be my next question, how long have you been playing for? But you answered that. Wow 57 years. that's amazing. I wished when I was young I would have stuck with. Took about 6 months of lesson back in early 70's. Learned the traditional grip from that teacher. If you changed your grip to matched, he used to say who do you think you are Ringo Starr, learn the traditional grip of playing first. Then life happens, wanted to learn for years. So when I retired I decided I was going to pick them up again and learn. Have been learning for 2 years now, play everyday.

User Info Menu

Nice Rick, very nice. I always enjoy watching you play.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

"Wow 57 years. that's amazing."

Yeah, it is. Especially when you consider the fact that I'm only 26 years old.

Seriously, I started in 1956 when I was 10, and every drummer I saw played traditional grip.

User Info Menu

that's what I figured around 56 or 57 So you have seen a lot change in drumming over the years I bet. Did you do clinics and stuff like that? Did you take lessons or learn on your own? Do you teach?

User Info Menu

that's what I figured around 56 or 57 So you have seen a lot change in drumming over the years I bet. Did you do clinics and stuff like that? Did you take lessons or learn on your own? Do you teach?

DD, from when I started playing in bands (60-61) till now, I've seen a ton of changes in the playing of drums. Some good, some bad, some in between.

Clinics. Not being a "trained" drummer, (never had a lesson in my life), I never did clinics as such, plus nobody really knew who I was.

I did do 1 with a drummer that grew up close to my hometown, that, after I got out of the service, he had become quite famous. He was going to do a clinic, although, in those days, they weren't clinics like are done today. He asked me to come and do it with him. We were going to trade 8's for about 15 minutes, then he was going to take questions for a while, then we were going to have a couple of beers. Long story short, he pulled a stunt at the end, I answered it. We did not depart friends.

Another time, in Dallas, I went into a music store that had several sets of drums set up and a couple of drummers were trying out sets. I sat down behind a set similar to mine and a worker asked if I wanted to try them out. I got a pair of sticks and started messing around on them for about 5 minutes. When I looked up, the were about 15-18 drummers standing there. I was asked a few questions about some things I did. That lasted about 20 minutes or so, and that is probably the closest I've ever come to doing a clinic.

Last. Not being a trained drummer, I don't have the tools to teach, plus I don't have a lot of patience. I have shown numerous drummers over the years things I do if they ask me.

If I do something you like, just PM me and I'll be only too happy to show you how it's done.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Nice Rick, very nice. I always enjoy watching you play.

Thanks Mike, I really appreciate that.

User Info Menu

Wow ,you are amazing, no lessons. I've seen videos of Buddy Rich and others and I tell you I think you could stand with the best of them. Thanks for the pm opportunity I'm sure I'll take you up on it. I really want to learn how to play well. I practice every day if possible. I'm getting there slowly.

User Info Menu

Wow ,you are amazing, no lessons. I've seen videos of Buddy Rich and others and I tell you I think you could stand with the best of them. Thanks for the pm opportunity I'm sure I'll take you up on it. I really want to learn how to play well. I practice every day if possible. I'm getting there slowly.

That is a heavy compliment, and it is much appreciated.