Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vic firth sterio isolation headphones

User Info Menu

Default vic firth sterio isolation headphones

after about a month.. i finally got them in. I think there ment for more loud players and stuff, but overall there pretty awsome, i just slide them on half way kind of, but its still comfortable. okay so heres the problem. when im playing along to music with them on, it sounds SO good.. well to me it does, so i try and record my drums to the song and listen to it and there are so many mistakes and it sounds horrible... i know the real reason is probably because I have a 2 dollar computer mic.. but does that ever happen to you guys? you go to record your drums over a certin song and you think it will turn out good but it just doesnt sound the same and you make so much more mistakes then you thought?\... it happens to me everytime, anyone experience this?... please tell me you do and this is just something that happens to everyone? please

User Info Menu

Soory Lafirin, but it just NEVER happens to us! The rest of us are perfect, so I guess it's only you!

Yeah, and the moon is made of swiss cheese, too! You should hear me sometimes - or maybe you shouldn't! Some stuff I've gotten down pretty well, but if I'm going to grow, I have to push into uncharted waters. It's scary, and it isn't always great, but I have to go there and conquer. Stay with it. The ride will smooth out!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thanks for that pb you always come through

User Info Menu

Practice makes perfect haha. Don't know if there's a less cliche answer to this one. What songs are you trying to record?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    after about a month.. i finally got them in. I think there ment for more loud players and stuff, but overall there pretty awsome, i just slide them on half way kind of, but its still comfortable. okay so heres the problem. when im playing along to music with them on, it sounds SO good.. well to me it does, so i try and record my drums to the song and listen to it and there are so many mistakes and it sounds horrible... i know the real reason is probably because I have a 2 dollar computer mic.. but does that ever happen to you guys? you go to record your drums over a certin song and you think it will turn out good but it just doesnt sound the same and you make so much more mistakes then you thought?\... it happens to me everytime, anyone experience this?... please tell me you do and this is just something that happens to everyone? please
    I haven't recorded myself playing Laf but I guarantee I would sound pretty bad.... If I were you I would record myself, listen to what sounds bad and fix it, one beat at a time if you have to. In no time you will have it down perfectly, my money is on you!

User Info Menu

yeah well I was thinking, mabye I just have to get the song down pat, then it will sound good. I just tried to do it spure of the moment kind of thing.. usually when i record i never really pratice the song first, i just kinda feel it out. i dont think im good enough yet to just feel out a song and make it sound good.

User Info Menu

I've only video recorded myself practicing a couple times.. and from watching that I realized I must try to control some of my facial expressions, especially when playing hard! It was a good laugh tho.
    "It's always funny until someone gets hurt... and then it's just hilarious!!!"

User Info Menu

mirror helps all

User Info Menu

Lafirin i have a set of drummer headphones too and i have the same problem!
    When i play with it i think that i am perfect ! Also i like better the sound of the drums!
    Try to turn the volume(i am not sure if the phrase is correct...) where you can hear the drums, this help me!
    Just love the drums and they will love you too!!!

User Info Menu

i think i understand part of it, i do agree that you do sound better.. and its a bit deceiving isnt it?

User Info Menu

Acid Recording programs and some Audix mics are equipped withe a dampening option so that sound you hear through the iso's is almost equal to the recording, but with more volume if you choose.
    And yes, Laf, it can be a bit decieving, but you just have to acquire that special ear for tuning so that your last resort for your drums to sound that good isn't always dampening or just headphones.

User Info Menu

ok, so the thread entitled vic firth sterio isolation headphones, doesn't seem to be about vic firth stereo isolation headphones at all. Has anyone else used these things? They're half the price of the competition, so I wondered about quality. But they're also made by vic-firth, and especially for drums. Do you guys suggest buying them, or should I use my cheap sony "studio monitors" until I can spare a hundred bucks?

User Info Menu

Well Kryshah, this thread wasn't exactly created to give reviews on the headphones rather than questions, but to answer yours... Yes. They're a great buy if you're worried about the condition your ears are in after playing (trust me, I know it sounds queer, but I'm noticing how bad it sucks now). They're excellent for recording , not so much listening to your favorite cd however.

User Info Menu

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    not so much listening to your favorite cd however.
    What do you mean? I want to be able to plug them in to my laptop/sound system as well as during live and recording situations. Is the sound bad quality? What exactly were developed for? Another question... do they have volume control, are they active or passive? lol... lots of questions. I didn't mean to be mean earlier about the no talking about the headphones thing... just reflecting on how odd it is that we get so off topic sometimes.

User Info Menu

It's all good man, we get very off topic lol.
    What I meant was, these headphones are big and huge and large and you'd expect them to be like mindblowingly loud for playback and portable cd players, right? Nah, their hugeness really does isolate your ears almost completely so that the outside world is quiet. The thing to hear the easiest would be your set indefeinately. I mean, the headphones muffle everything down, but they can't completely hide your drums, that what they were made for.
    If you're playing back a recording on the headphones while playing the set at the same time, it all seems to blend together and does sound awesome. They're also excellent for practicing to your favorite tunes because like I said, they muffle things down, but you can hear the music and yourself playing at the same time, melding together. Cool stuff.

User Info Menu

pretty much what he said, id suggest them, they are great. u need to get used to them but there really good afterwards. Also, i jammed with my buddy and he plays guitar, and I heard him and my drums good. however it does make the outside world very quite. even your drums can be damped down to much if you have the music cranked to loud, thats why I put them on and make them half on and half off. Personally i think there made for pretty hard hitters, but you can do your own ajusting to make them fit to your preference. so anways, there worth it IMO

User Info Menu

Great! That's precisely what I need. My drums are in a basement, with concrete floor and walls...an acoustic nightmare. They're unnaturally loud. Right now, I just plug my ears with some of those little foam things, and put my headphones on and blast the music. So... it's not the most practical. I'd much rather have a pair of headphones that do exactly what you described. Thank you guys very much. This is why I love this site.

User Info Menu

Kryshah, I dont think you'' be disappointed, I to am in a basment (concreet floors and walls). I like to do my researched to, and i did mine before i bought these so im pretty caushis when i buy things. Like i said, there not 100% beatiful, but there close to perfect, heck.. when u get used to them, and with your situation, i think ull be very veery happy with em.

PS: they say like 48 bucks. but i got mine for close to 100 bucks, with all the shipping and taxes all dialed in. but depending on were u live, the price will vary

User Info Menu

Pick em up at a Guitar Center for under $50. A good buy.

User Info Menu

nah, in musicians friend their listed for 45, and usually thier shipping isn't too bad. I'm going to see if anyone else wants anything, and just place a big order, and split shipping, so it shouldn't be too bad.

User Info Menu

Good idea, Kryshah. And you live in VA so the shipping wouldn't be that expensive. They're stationed in California right?

User Info Menu

I bought a set of inner ear creative labs isolation headphones to practise with and just use in general. The are BRILLIANT!. They cost my $30 AUD, so for you americans that's probably like 20 dollars I think. I use my MP3 and don't even have to go above half way. I am no longer deafening myself to hear my music over my drums. It's Great!

This is them here
    http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...158-037-01.jpg

EP-630 is the model number. I HIGHLY reccomend them to EVERYONE. The are quite comfortable too as they have three different sized heads, and being inner ear they don't need to be as loud as the sound is being delivered straight into the ear canal.

Here is a bit of a review of them Pretty much everyone reckons you can't go wrong with them. And having used them now for a few months solid I have had no problems, even with the cord thicknes (the primary concern for most people). Although static electricity can be an iusse. If you build up a static charge then touch something they can give you a little shock, although that has never been a problem for me when drumming, just at work.

Having a look on ebay you seem to able to pick them up for like $5.00
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...-630&category0=
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Thanks crazy, sounds great, but I would rather not have anything in my ear if I can avoid it. And I'd like for other people to be able to use it without swapping ear wax (nastyness...) I do appreciate the input though! oh yeah.. dont' smoke. lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    Thanks crazy, sounds great, but I would rather not have anything in my ear if I can avoid it. And I'd like for other people to be able to use it without swapping ear wax (nastyness...) I do appreciate the input though! oh yeah.. dont' smoke. lol
    Screw you maaaan! I'ma smoke whatever i want! You aint the law!

hehehehe. j/k
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Screw you maaaan! I'ma smoke whatever i want! You aint the law!

hehehehe. j/k
    well... you don't have to be rude...