Thread: As Good As It Gets

User Info Menu

Default As Good As It Gets

Hello DC Bretheren :

We have seen a few posts here recently with good drummers tired and fed up with their gigging situation. I understand completely............been there -- done that !

But over the years (too many years) I have learned this :

Are you are with people you like ?
    Are you are playing material you like ?
    Are you are playing the drumset you like ?
    Are you are getting gigs, whether they be live or studio or whatever ?

If you can reflect and say "YES" to all four -- or even three -- of the above questions............then you are there...........you are getting it done..........this is what it is all about...........be thankful.

The only step up from this point is beyond most of us...........a very pro-level, nationally recognized position.
    Many of us here are pro-level, but in a regional position.
    Others are playing as a amatuer/pro hybrid............club gigs - private functions...........whatever.

Take a deep breath, relax, reflect on what you have during this holiday season...........and I hope you can be thankful.

After many years of playing in top-notch rock bands and clubs all over North Texas, I then played in a much lower-level situation (12 years) but still found a way to make it a positive experience until I could no longer say "YES" to three of the four questions posted above.

Then...........out of the blue............I'm back in a very good situation with a high level of musicianship and some good people..........and I believe I can again say "YES" to all four questions.

I am very thankful.

Happy Holidays to all of the great people at this board.

And best regards,
    Richard
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: As Good As It Gets

Personally, I haven't gigged for the past 13 months. Before that it was pretty much non-stop for the past 35 years.

Frankly, not missing the hauling of gear and the practice time or the search for places to play as a new band with no history.

I'm in a comfortable place, ATM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Could have said yes to all 4 for 30+ years.

Promoters would call us 2nd tier bands. Paid good, some BS, but, all in all, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

User Info Menu

I hear everything you're saying Ricardo and I agree with most of it.

But I gotta say this: Living on an island in the Atlantic ocean is a whole other ball game than anything you can imagine. All the things you can take for granted living in Northern Texas goes right out the window living here.

There simply is not the access to: gear, high caliber musicians, gigs, studios, etc...

No e-bay, no Craigs list, No music stores.

I do meet some really good musicians and often do but they are always in transit (just passing through) That is the nature of a tourist based place. On top of that, tourists expect to hear Caribbean music when they come here. Thank goodness for a clutch of permanent residents who like rock related stuff or I wouldn't play at all. Most of them are up in years and don't like too loud of music and are ready to hit the sack at 10 o'clock.

So yeah, it's discouraging...slugging gear around to play covers of the same songs I've played since 8th grade.

I don't want this to sound like a whine. I knew to some extant what I was getting into when I came here with my wife in 2006. Maybe it's the higher powers way of telling me it's time to give it up.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

No e-bay, no Craigs list, No music stores.

I do meet some really good musicians and often do but they are always in transit (just passing through) That is the nature of a tourist based place. On top of that, tourists expect to hear Caribbean music when they come here. Thank goodness for a clutch of permanent residents who like rock related stuff or I wouldn't play at all. Most of them are up in years and don't like too loud of music and are ready to hit the sack at 10 o'clock.

So yeah, it's discouraging...slugging gear around to play covers of the same songs I've played since 8th grade.
    Well............I understand............that is an exception and a difficult position.
    I'll bet that really bugs you while you sit on the beach with a rum punch.
    All kidding aside................that is not a market for my type of band...............not even close.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 12-20-2013 at 08:22 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Thankfully, I can say yes to all four. The guys in our band are all close friends, and we play solely because we like hanging out together and making music. None of us wants to turn the band into anything more than what we have today. So, we make it a point to not perform at a private party or a club more than once every month or two. It's a good balance between family, work and the band. I am very happy and thankful for the situation I am in.

Happy Holidays everyone.

User Info Menu

I'll bet that really bugs you while you sit on the beach with a rum punch.
    Well I can sit on the beach with some rum and some close friends with an acoustic and belt out some Jimmy Buffet tunes etc... and be be perfectly happy. Welcome to kay-gees future.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Well I can sit on the beach with some rum and some close friends with an acoustic and belt out some Jimmy Buffet tunes etc... and be be perfectly happy. Welcome to kay-gees future.

all the best...

That's a tough life you got there kay-gee.

User Info Menu

Yes times 4 for me. I'd still like to be in Kay-Gee's shoes though.

User Info Menu

NO
    NO
    YES
    NO

The industry here in Canada has moved on and so far I have not moved with it. It is hard to have to play for free, often that is not enough, you need to bring in the customers too, and still they want you to not play what you want as loud as you want, so, I choose to hole up at home for now.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    It is hard to have to play for free, often that is not enough, you need to bring in the customers too, and still they want you to not play what you want as loud as you want, so, I choose to hole up at home for now.
    They don't appreciate what you have unless it brings a guaranteed profit for them............how considerate............what ever happened to share the risk ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    They don't appreciate what you have unless it brings a guaranteed profit for them............how considerate............what ever happened to share the risk ?

They don't want to "share the risk" now, and they didn't 40 years ago.

When we put our band together about '73, we were told by bar/club owners that they didn't want a empty place because we were unknown. A guy who opened a club about 2 months earlier gave us a shot for 2 weeks.

We rocked the place. It gave us our start.

About 6 months later, we caught a gig in a very popular club in South Jersey, and never had to look for gigs again. They came to us.

My (our) great satisfaction was being able to tell the bar/club owners back in my hometown to stick it when they tried to book us, reminding them that they didn't want us a year earlier, but, when we were home, we would always give the club that gave us a shot, a week or 2 for the same price that he paid us the first gig, $200 a night. We didn't make a dime, but it was worth it to tick the other owners off because they couldn't afford us.

Sometimes, revenge is sweet.

User Info Menu

Love that story, Rick.

I was a few behind you...........1976 - 79.............Dallas, Texas.
    We got to a point where we were able to choose between offers.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Love that story, Rick.

I was a few behind you...........1976 - 79.............Dallas, Texas.
    We got to a point where we were able to choose between offers.

It's a nice position to be in, but people don't realize the work that goes on "behind the scenes" to try to stay 1 step ahead of the competion.

I've always said that I was very lucky. I've seen bands that sucked, yet they were always working, and bands that were really good, but had a hard time getting gigs.

You have to step in the right pile.

By the way, I love Dallas, it's a great city. Those glass buildings along Empire Blvd used to shine like gold when the sun hit them. I should say that I'm pretty sure it was Empire Blvd, correct me if I'm wrong. It's been a long time since I was there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    It's a nice position to be in, but people don't realize the work that goes on "behind the scenes" to try to stay 1 step ahead of the competition.
    Totally agree with you there Rick, it is a lot of hard work.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Pretty nice Ricardo. I have 3 yes' the one that wasn't is the drums I really want.

I feel pretty lucky to be doing what I am musically at this point in my life. It's not a quest to "make it" anymore. That's long since past. I like my day job and like the band I'm in. Not sure what I will do once it's over. Maybe take another long break lol
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    It's not a quest to "make it" anymore. That's long since past. I like my day job and like the band I'm in. Not sure what I will do once it's over.
    It's OK slinky.
    You are there.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

all the best...
    Ukulele. Plays like a guitar, not nearly as heavy. And they just sound nice. Would go well on the island.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Life is short. Go out there and get what you want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    Ukulele. Plays like a guitar, not nearly as heavy. And they just sound nice. Would go well on the island.
    Got one of those also. Learning to play a few songs.

all the best...