Thread: My experience with Off-Set drum pedals

User Info Menu

Default My experience with Off-Set drum pedals

I have been playing my Off-Set pedals for just over three years, after playing single pedal for over 33 years. I love this thing like crazy. It is infinitely adjustable, so any player should be able to dial it in to their foot's preference. It is built well and is solid as all get out. I have not had one issue with any single part since it arrived. The drive shafts are still in excellent working order with no sign of lag to either side. And I play a lot. I live alone, work nights and practice days, when the neighbors are at work.
    The best thing about the Off-Set is the ergonomic advantage. You can bring your ride and floor closer and less "to the right" by far. I love the "Mickey Mouse ears" look to my mounted toms in relation to the snare. Perfectly mimics the tom placement of the first double kick sets, but with only one bass drum to transport.
    When I was shopping for a double pedal, I was willing to spend the $600+ for some models, so the $400 on these was easy. I played over a dozen different pedals at different shops, and ended buying the Off-Set with out the opportunity to try it. Just pure faith in Charles Fischer, who I spoke to directly before buying it, too. He is a very smart and kind man who is just trying to sell a simple idea, assembled with every adjustment option you can imagine. What other pedal offers the chance to speak with the man who invented it?
    You can set the distance between the pedals to allow your hats to be where you need them to be as well.
    There are four springs, which at first seemed stupid. But once I started experimenting, I realized how cool this feature is. The response of the pedal and beater can be adjusted independently! I have found I like my beater springs a little tighter than the pedal springs, btw.
    This set also packs up quickly and fits nicely back in the box it came in. Sets up in seconds now that I've done it a bunch of times. I'm just too cheap to buy a bag or case for it.
    I'll include recent photos and a link to a video "tour" I filmed just a few weeks after getting the thing (so don't expect me to play much). Give you an idea of how this pedal can improve the ergonomics of your set . I think i answered most of the questions that might be brought up, but feel free to throw some more my way. I love these pedals and plan on always having my kit centered in this fashion. I also plan on buying a Sleishman pedal so I can compare for myself. Hopefully by next summer. Not a huge priority, you understand.
    I hope this helps.

And the aforementioned video...

http://youtu.be/rFs510cQ_3Y
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: My experience with Off-Set pedals

Awesome set up man!
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Interesting.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

nice set up and interesting picture thanks
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

User Info Menu

thanks for the link Johnny, I'm trying to grasp how this would feel, it's really playing with my mind lol. Looks really well made like the boots around the linkage. The hat stand too, cool
    Last edited by slinky; 12-23-2013 at 07:26 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Makes a lot of sense!
    Where do you find these?
    I guess the red HH pedal base-plate helps find the pedal? Just kidding!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Personally, I dont see the necessity of having an extra drive shaft added on to do the same thing as a normal double pedal plus for me, I would have to move my floor tom plus why the need for two springs per side? - it is an interesting concept though.
    Last edited by Warren Wright; 12-23-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    Based on your review I ordered one of these today,Thanks for the review.

Jim
    That is so cool. I hope these work for you as well as they have for me. Post when you get em!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wright View Post
    Personally, I dont see the necessity of having an extra drive shaft added on to do the same thing as a normal double pedal plus for me, I would have to move my floor tom plus why the need for two springs per side? - it is an interesting concept though.
    You seem to miss part of the point.
    It's not about having an "extra drive shaft", so much as it's about having a balanced pedal. The two sides are a perfect mirror image so the action can be matched.
    With a conventional double pedal, the dominant foot is given the more direct action while the weaker foot is forced to overcome a much longer drive shaft. Inherent imbalance. Does that make more sense to you?
    Also, the added springs bring another level of adjustment. Only after messing with this aspect for a while can you appreciate the potential.
    The relocation of the floor and ride has been a huge positive thing for me. Very friendly snare/kick centered configuration. I could not do the two-up, two-down that I currently enjoy without a pedal of this nature. I would have to have a three-up, one-down instead, which is not my favorite.

As much as I love this pedal, I know it's not for everyone and that a lot of players will never "get it". That's more than OK. If I have helped only one guy to understand the concept, whether he agrees with me or not, I have accomplished my goal. That is all.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

John, did you run into any problem setting this pedal up I realize it will be alot of trial an error any pointers to sbare witb initial setup, pedals shipped out today should have them on Friday.

Jim

User Info Menu

Follow his instructions exactly with the initial set-up and you will be fine. Very excited for you. Should be an awesome change in your set-up.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

Thanks John now all I have to do is figure out how to post pictures. Have a 1990's Premier 7 piece kit 5 suspended toms, bass and snare.

User Info Menu

Makes perfect sense ergonomically. And it's set out just like the Sleishman double pedal, without that bulky base it has. Definitely something I'd look at should my DW 5000 double pedal give up the ghost on me.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Okay fellas got the Offset pedals today, this question is for JohnG the screws that secure the beaters are hitting the bass head other than that issue these things are frigging awesome, may go to hardware store to pick up some allen key set screws for the beaters

User Info Menu

Why does the bass drums position make a difference? You want your snare directly in front of toms, buy a dogclamp $15

User Info Menu

Bass and tom setup is just way more comfortable with this pedal set up, the amount of adjustments for the pedals are amazing, Offset needs to put these pedals in mainstream music stores so more drummers could actually test drive them.

Jim

User Info Menu

How is it more comfortable than your average offset toms on a stand?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    Okay fellas got the Offset pedals today, this question is for JohnG the screws that secure the beaters are hitting the bass head other than that issue these things are frigging awesome, may go to hardware store to pick up some allen key set screws for the beaters
    Glad you are loving them, too.
    My set screws are about a centimeter away from the head, so I'm surprised yours are hitting it. I would just try to back off the center mount closer to the edge of the hoop.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    How is it more comfortable than your average offset toms on a stand?
    If you look at the overhead shot I posted at the start of this thread, you can see that this pedal, as does a Sleishman, re-creates the ergonomics of a double bass kit with the toms mounted in the center, using a single kick with a standard tom mount.
    By not using a standard double pedal with my toms on a stand (as you suggest), I can also move all the stuff on my right a little closer to minimize the twist to reach my floors and chinas, because the kick isn't in the way. This is a huge advantage as well. I would have a really hard time getting my drums into a comfortable two-up, two-down config using a mainstream double pedal. I tried before I bought the Off-Set. Had to keep it three-up, one-down, which put my ride either way to my right or up high, which is not how I prefer it to be positioned.

Look, I understand the average person's resistance to change, and this thing is so different looking that a lot of drummers have a hard time "getting it". If you were to take the time to read the Off-Set site and open your mind to another way of seeing the ergonomics of your own kit, you might just "get it". And I have no reason to convince anyone of anything. I am just relaying my own experience, honestly, wo that another might gain some insight to this fine product. And since js218 has bought them and found new happiness due to my review, well, my work on this topic is done!
    Personally, I will be using these things with a big smile on my face. They are solid, smooth, with a balanced feel that is awesome, and, the drive shafts are holding up perfectly to my daily playing regimen. And if they loosen or develop "play", I'll just get new shafts for them. Mr. Fischer does not charge a lot for parts.
    Gonna hafta try a Sleishman one day, too. When I buy my second kit...
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

yep what John said, I've been playing with these pedals since Friday and it is just a big smile on my face every time I walk into my drum room. Been playing for 40+ years and this is probably in my opinion the best kept secret in the drum world. I'm also a lefty and the other lefty pedals on the market were always special orders.

Jim

User Info Menu

Default Re: My experience with Off-Set drum pedals

Just curious: If I were to use the single, right foot pedal, does its placement put it nearly under my FT?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Just curious: If I were to use the single, right foot pedal, does its placement put it nearly under my FT?
    That was kinda my thought, I dont like my floors to close to me, binding me up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I had to go stand behind my kit to answer this one.
    Yes, the pedal ends up nearly or partially under your FT, depending greatly on how close you like it to be. I happen to be pretty short, 5'6", with a reach to match. I also happen to like a fairly tight set-up, so my 13" hanging FT ends up partly over my pedal, but just barely. Again, I reference the photo at the start of this thread.
    In the name of science, I just removed my hanging tom and put the 16" floor in it's place. By rotating it just so, I easily got the legs in a perfect spot to accommodate the pedal being just under it. If this was a single pedal attached to a bass drum, the floor would have to be much farther to my right since the kick shell would be in the way.
    See? Improved ergonomics by mimicking the old double kick set-up with only one bass drum!

Hey js218!! Really stoked for you as you fall in love with these pedals. Thanks for pointing out the "lefty thing". I never realized that these are totally universal, lefty/rightty, right out of the box. These just keep looking better and better to me. Cheers!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

I just think it's crazy that they actually made a pedal that is setup that way! Very interesting!

User Info Menu

Thing is it's not crazy at all, if you saw one in a music store and had the chance to try them out, believe me you'd be like woooooow why didn't some one think of this sooner. I've had them since last Friday and have been playing with them for 5 -6 hours a day.

Jim