Thread: I Am Trying To Find The Right HEADPHONES For ME

User Info Menu

Unhappy I Am Trying To Find The Right HEADPHONES For ME

Hello this is my first time posting on a forum and its because I'm at a loss in research. I've looked at a ton of post websites and review and the bottom line is everyone has their own idea of what the BEST drumming headphones are. I figured I would list the qualities I am looking for and maybe I can find what is best for ME. I would like to play drums to music on my phone while playing.

I currently have Audio-Technica ATH-M50's as of yesterday that are not burnt in.

While after only one day of use I like these headphones there are qualities about them I don't seem to like and would like to see if there would be something more suited for me before I settle.

Please if you respond to this I would like you to have used multiple pairs before and not just tell me what your first pair was that you stuck with and love. I need opinions from people who have searched for the pair just for them. MONEY IS NOT AN ISSUE Im not looking for the best bang for my buck I want a pair that I wont need to upgrade and I will be happy with

Pros- ATH-M50

-They are comfortable and do not irritate me when wearing for long periods of time or drumming
    - They are not in ear headphones, I DO NOT want in ear.
    - They have a good maximum volume that is not over powered by the sound of my drumset, and they are not noise cancelling to the point that i cannot hear my drumset ('Ive used a pair of bose before that would try to completely cancel the sound of my drumset or cut off my music when my drumset was too loud to cancel)

Con- ATH-M50

- I feel like the sound of my drumset is taking a huge hit with these headphones. While my current crappy B8's seem to sound better the actual kit sounds muffled and garage like. Im not sure if they exist but i would love a pair that still allows me to hear drums decently. It can reduce the volume of the drums obviously but not at the cost of the integrity.
    - I have a real hard time hearing the kick without a custom equalizer. While an equalizer may just be the solution to this i was wondering if there are drum sets that have enhanced DBM ranges in the low and highs. (Cymbals and the Kick because to my understanding mid is not as useful for drums) Pretty much songs played from my phone will focus too much on the bass guitar and bass in dubstep it does not capture the kick of the bass drum at all)

Thats really it, sorry for such a complex post, im usually a guy that does a lot of research. Im just trying to see if i should stick with these or if there are phones are there for me that will enhance the bass drum and keep the cymbal quality while playing MP3, and when playing along to my drumset do not comprimise the quality of my set! Thank you!

*Sorry Dioblog, but the Forum Rules prohibit links to retailers (commercial links) - PB*

User Info Menu

Default Re: I Am Trying To Find The Right HEADPHONES For ME

Man nobody gives the B8's any love around here they are a very underappreciated cymbal, but hey I guess I'm a little biased.

Now I know you don't want people who have only used one headphone and loved them since then, but your going to cut out a lot of people and a lot of very high quality headphones by doing that, I'm going to tell you what's worked for me I researched awhile ago (4 years) and money was and continues to be an issue for me, I do not remember The others I searched for, but what worked for me was the Vic Firth Isolation Headphones. I do not have to crank the volume on them to hear the music through my set, the only con is that after using them for three years one of the headphones has started to come apart I'll post a picture if I find time, otherwise they're great.

I played for about a year before deciding hearing protection would be a good idea, (yes I know how stupid that was) now I've lost 20% in my right ear and I have tinnitus in both. That story wasn't nessecarilly for you but rather for anybody else who currently has my former mindset on hearing protection. Hope my review helps.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

I've been a drummer for a long time, and I'm a bit of a headphone nerd so hopefully I can help! I generally prefer using IEMs when playing drums, but there are several OTE cans I can give advice on.

Grado SR80i: fabulous cans, lousy for drumming. Not enough isolation, so I had to play them loud. Haven't sounded the same since (I think I damaged the diaphragms). :(

AKG k240: really nice for drumming, but a little bulky. Really nice studio monitors that sound excellent.

Incase EC30001: great sounding, comfortable, not too heavy or bulky. Really like these for drumming. Only drawback is if you sweat while playing, the headband is microfiber rather than vinyl.

Sony MDR (forgot exactly which): these were my stalwart standbys for ages. Sounded great, durable, comfortable - gotta be a reason every studio on earth has several pair, right? Mine finally gave up the ghost, and I plan to replace them, but tend to use Shure IEM mostly these days.

Bose QC2: don't bother. Awful for drumming. Actually awful for everything except sitting on airplanes (which is why I bought them). Skip these.

Urbanears Plattan: love these cans! Fold small, sound great, comfortable, light, inexpensive. My current go-to travel phones.

User Info Menu

Here are 3 inexpensive solutions that I use, when I plug in my iPod/Phone/etc..:

1) Cheapie Setup:
    $2 3M Tri-Flange Reusable Corded Earplugs (Lowe's)
    $5 Over the ear Headphones
    Result: The Earplugs worked better than I expected, but need a better set of headphones.

2) Frankenstein setup:
    $10 Winchester Gun Range Mufflers
    $5 Over the ear headphones that I modified to fit INSIDE the Mufflers, under the foam.
    Result: They work OK, but I should have used better headphones. The Muffler is a bit too tight to wear for long periods too.

3) Current Setup:
    $12 Hearos High Fidelity Earplugs <--- (Just wanted to try these out)
    $20 Sennheiser 202's Headphones
    Result: Sounds better than #1 & #2, and significantly more comfortable.

When the Hearos need replacing, I'll probably just go back to using the 3M's with the Sennheisers...

I also use a cheapie headphone splitter, so if one of my kids want to listen, they can wear #2, and dance along.

User Info Menu

I've had several over the years........................the best I've found are the Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones

I've used them for the last two years and they work perfectly. They are also relatively cheap at around 99 bucks.

Good Luck

User Info Menu

I have tried almost all the brands that were roughly in the $100.00 USD range and still have them all.

My "go to's" for most everything have been the AKG 240s. I bought them first and still have them. They have got to be almost 20 years old now.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

As a side note, mine are all over the ear style.

I use a pair for my home studio for monitoring, I have a set for my upstairs computer when I want to listen to on line music privately. I have another pair for late night listening while attempting to fall asleep in bed.

But when I'm jamming with my guitar and amp modeller or writing new material, that's where the AKGs are. That's where I get the most headphone use, anyway.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

i have two set's of Sennheiser 25's both the HD 25-1 II and the HD 25-SP II

both outstanding , i use the 25-1's for studio work and the sp's for the kit

by any means they are not budget headphones but well worth a look for long term audio enthusiasts , if you looking for middle of the road the Sennheiser HD range are really good headphones to have considering the price point

Last edited by itchie; 12-28-2013 at 01:13 AM.

User Info Menu

It sounds to me you are looking for a pair of "open backed" headphones. They allow the ambient noise in (and actually the headphone noise out) far more than closed backed phones.

User Info Menu

Great information
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

User Info Menu

I have ran the same headphones since the mid 80's. From my home stereo to in the studio, they are a pair of Pioneer 405's.They sound terrific, only downside is that my mp3 player cant run them lol.

User Info Menu

Vic Firth for me, a lil tight but cost wise cant beat em. Saving for in ears monitors