Thread: Vintage ?

User Info Menu

Default Vintage ?

wonder if any one can tell me the type and year this cymal might be? trying to find out for a while now year on the stamp is 1847 pics aren't that good so I put it on paper the stamp looks like this. It is 18" and semms like a good brass. something spilled on it before i got it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vintage ?

I know this has been around for a while but anyway... Judging by the year on your cymbal, it sure is vintage! I read somewhere that FIP might have been Italian-made cymbals, and somewhat related to UFIPs. I'll try to find the link where I read it. All I remember is I pulled up the article while looking up the used Super Zyn ride I got from a local forum.
    Drums, drums, drums!

5-pc standard 6-ply birch kit
    13x6 Black Panther Maple Snare
    14" Zildjian New Beat HH
    21" Zildjian Sweet Ride
    18.5" Sabian Chad Smith Signature Crash
    20" 5-star Super Zyn Crash/Ride
    Evans G1 on toms, EC2 on bass
    Evans Genera Dry on Snare
    Pearl Throne, H820w HH Stand, P122-TW DB Pedals
    Gibraltar stands

User Info Menu

Are you sure something was spilled on it? UFIP makes alot of cymbals with that finish.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

That my friend is a UFiP cymbal. I have the same one. I bought it in a second hand shop for $20. It is my fave cymbal in my collection and is my left hand crash on my set right now.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    That my friend is a UFiP cymbal. I have the same one. I bought it in a second hand shop for $20. It is my fave cymbal in my collection and is my left hand crash on my set right now.

all the best...
    I agree kagee, ufip would be my guess and it appears some kind of acidic substance was spilled on it. you could probably fix it by covering in it in Kaboom, or groove juice and using some very fine steel wool on it following the lathe grooves and then polish it with a good metal polish.

User Info Menu

I failed to mention that I doubt that the 1847 stamp is the year the cymbal was manufactured. It looks too modern in style to be that old to me. It just doesn't look like a hundred plus year old cymbal. The bell looks to big from other really old cymbals I have seen. Let us know what you find out about its age. You might try cymbalholics on the net there may be someone there that can identify its age. Maybe that is a serial number, and if it is it is still reasonably low in number so it was the 1847 cymbal made in that style. Just taking a guess on that one!

User Info Menu

I don't know much about UFIP, but the "1847" could be the founding date of the company. If my company was around that long, I would be proud enough to stamp it on my cymbals.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I don't know much about UFIP, but the "1847" could be the founding date of the company. If my company was around that long, I would be proud enough to stamp it on my cymbals.
    That is a good possibility too PB, I hadn't thought of that, but it makes since!

ThePloughman Guest

What does it weigh in grams?

And does it weigh anywhere close to 4.12 lbs?
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 03-25-2008 at 07:28 PM.

User Info Menu

UFIP cymbals and bells date back to the 1500's. Made in in Italy and came back to prominence as a maker of cymbals in 1927. The 1847 is more likely to be the gram weight of the cymbal which would make it a light or very thin ride. Just my thoughts.

ThePloughman Guest

See above, 4.12 lbs is approx. 1847 grams.