Thread: Pearl snare drum advice needed

User Info Menu

Default Pearl snare drum advice needed

I been looking for a good 14" metal snare to use on some of the rock my band's starting to play. The local used store has a Pearl "Sensitone" for $79.00. It has a sticker on the inside of the shell that says "Sensitone Steel" (if I remember right). I also think it has 8 lugs and a light grey tint to the shell (not pure chrome). It's in real nice shape, heads are fair, and the throw-off works real nice.

I'm thinking it might be a "Vision" series snare based on the 8 lugs, but the off-grey color chrome is confusing me. Is this a pretty good snare, or just an average mid-level steel snare? Would I be better off to put the $79 toward a better but more expensive 10 lug snare?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl snare drum advice needed

8-10 lugs makes very little difference. How does the snare sound?

User Info Menu

I can tune my Acrolite and put it behind my set and no one would be able to tell it from my Black Beauty SS, Black Magic, or DynaSonic snares.

The Pearl will be fine.

User Info Menu

Do it I reckon. The Vision snares are pretty solid.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    8-10 lugs makes very little difference. How does the snare sound?
    I think it sounds pretty good "as is". I'm sure it could use tuned and maybe new heads, but to me, it sounds like any other used metal snare. In fact, they have a no-name chrome snare for $29 and an old Yamaha that sound pretty good as well. What I really liked about the Pearl was the throw-off.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

i know that snare. I like the sensitones.. i mean, they aren't the most amazing snares, but if you crank em up they sound good, for $79, id buy it.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

Most steel drums sound essentially the same. The better ones have a less harsh ring, and better hardware.

User Info Menu

I own a Pearl Sensitone Alloy Elite which is the chrome/ steel shell. Mine is really shiny Lots of snap, crackle, pop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    What I really liked about the Pearl was the throw-off.
    That's definitely what I like about some Pearl snares, their throw-offs seem to work smoothly, for sure.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

That is true DD I own 2 Pearl snares and never really thought about mentioning the throw off which are great.