Thread: Anybody ever played a Taye wood hoop snare?

User Info Menu

Default Anybody ever played a Taye wood hoop snare?

HI all!

I am in the market for a new snare, and the Taye StudioMaple wood hoop 14x7 has caught my eye. It's a really sharp looking drum. Unfortunately, none of my local drum shops carry it, and I can't find anywhere to test it out. It's around $450-$500, so I don't wanna make that kind of investment without AT :LEAST a trusted opinion. (you guys will have to do HA!) Any advice?
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anybody ever played a Taye wood hoop snare?

It probably sounds like a Keller shell with wood hoops
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

They look bad to the bone. I wanted one just for the visual. But, alas, I've not seen one in person.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Check out to see if any Bearing Edge drums are floating around on the bay. Still a Keller shell I think, but the wood finishing he does is off the hook. I would not be happy with the shell composition, after building and playing solid wood staves, I find the thin ply shells to be that, thin sounding. I did build a wood hoop similar to that design, looks amazing, but the tone just doesn't cut it for me.

User Info Menu

From the Taye FAQ's:

"Do you make your own shells or are they outsourced?"

"We make everything on our drums, including the shells. Every shell is made with our patented EFS� Shell Technology, which contributes to the great sound and wide tuning range of our drums. "
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    From the Taye FAQ's:

"Do you make your own shells or are they outsourced?"

"We make everything on our drums, including the shells. Every shell is made with our patented EFS� Shell Technology, which contributes to the great sound and wide tuning range of our drums. "
    I have to agree. I had a Taye shell pack I bought off barfbay a few years ago and really for what I spent is was a great sounding kit.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I kinda like those hoops because they are pretty flush with the head. But I do like a little rim too so that kinda has steered me away. Also have wondered if they'd ever crack or somehow break. Looks costly to replace.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Yeah, but you could always put the reso side hoop on when the batter side gets really worn. It would buy you some time, at the least.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

very true and I was thinking of a different snare with wood hoops that are really flush with the head or at least it looked that way from the pictures but the Taye's aren't, they almost look a little too high for my tastes but I wouldn't turn one away if it came my way. Beautiful drums, and kits! Their kits offer nice size selections too.
    Last edited by slinky; 01-06-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I stand corrected, thanks for the research

User Info Menu

That's a beautiful looking snare. So now I have to ask, whether it's the Jave Burst or the Piano Black that caught your eye?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Funny you should ask, PB. I am having a heck of a time deciding between those exact finishes. Which do you prefer ? I could really go either way.
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

jmastrodimos Guest

I purchased a Taye snare drum 14x7 all maple with matching maple hoops, in natural finish about two years ago. It is truly a musical instrument!

I have an Evans Genera Dry head on the batter side. It is very warm and very fat. It's been called the "Blonde Bombshell." Beautiful to the eye. Beautiful to the ear! Go for it!!!

John

jmastrodimos Guest

I purchased a Taye snare 14x7 all maple with maple hoops in natural finish. That was about two years ago. It's been called a "Blond Bombshell."

I have an Evans Genera Dry on it. The sound is warm and fat.

Go for it!

jmastrodimos Guest

I forgot to mention that I also have another Taye snare drum. It's 14x6 made of black aluminum alloy. It also has wood hoops. I have an Evans Genera Dry on this drum as well. It has a little more ring than the maple 14x7. Another excellent drum that I would highly recommend.

John