Thread: Drum Heads

User Info Menu

Default Drum Heads

Hey everyone, I want to know, what are some good drum heads that have high attack and low sustain? I play alot of metal and hard rock and i don't like my heads to resonate... Also wondering a good way to know your drums are in tune, i can't seem to get my low tom just right. Any help appreciated! Thanks!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Heads

Evans Hydraulics, have the most attack and least amount of sustain out of any heads.

User Info Menu

Thanks Redneck, but i have hydraulics right now and they resonate alot. I have evans G1 on the bottom of all

User Info Menu

If hydraulics have a lot of resonance to you, you would probably be better off with a concert tom setup. Take the bottom head off your tom and see if you like the sound.

User Info Menu

yep, not as much resonance without a resonant head!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

You could tape some foam to your drum heads. That will get you all attack and zero sustain.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Less resonance than Hydraulics? you could get practice pads on all of the drums?....

Try tuning the resonant heads a little tighter to choke them a bit.

Also Hydraulics seem to have a silky sound even though they have no attack. If you want you could try a loose tuning on Clear Remo Ambassadors, that might be more of what you are thinking of.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I just put a remo ps 3. With the circle in center. Then I added 2 pieces of moon gel. And my snare sounds perfect now. Nice snap. Nice tone and no more ringtone.
    Thst was the 4th drum head I had on it. I have an slp bobinga snare brand new a month ago.
    Kreg
    First concert the Beatles 1966
    Love to rock and roll with my set of Rogers

User Info Menu

Thanks alot Redneck and Sling, thats gonna help alot!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    You could tape some foam to your drum heads. That will get you all attack and zero sustain.
    Where can i get foam? I've never heard of drum foamm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathbatDrummer View Post
    Go to wherever sells foam, like a hardware shop or something. Moongel could work as well?
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathbatDrummer View Post
    In the 80's guys would get that self stick window foam and run it around the inside bearing edge of their drum.

User Info Menu

Evans makes a head specifically for what you're looking for called the Black Chrome series. Clear ply over a black ply, very muted.

User Info Menu

What if you tried hydraulics on the reso side?
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

You could try going to a lighter weight reso head, like a diplomat or genera resonant. You're allready using the most attack biassed head that I know of. There's always moon gel or dampening rings. If that's not enough, you might have to resort to some studio voodoo like compression and gating. That said, your drums probably sound a lot less resonant 15 feet out front than they do from your throne.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I have black suede Emperors on my snare and toms with hazy Ambassadors on the reso side tuned slightly higher than the batter side---For my kick I have a black suede powerstroke 3 with a flame graphic center ported reso. I had a pro drummer friend of mine come over to help me tune them, and he never even picked up a key! He just started jamming, so I grabbed a guitar and played along.