Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Cleaning

User Info Menu

Default Deep Cleaning

So, I just bought some Zildjian A Custom projection, and Sabian B8 Pro cymbals... they are used and have a lot of deeply ingrained fingerprints. I've put in the elbow greese with a few metal cleaners and polishes, Nev'r Dull, and Turtle Wax Chrome cleaner to be precise, but there are still tarnished fingerprints! A few of them have nasty green corrosion spots too, alloys that contain copper no doubt... any hints, tips, trade secrets that I've yet to learn? I want my cymbals to be brilliant.

User Info Menu

Dont. Let the dirt build in the cymbal.

User Info Menu

I've been told that the Zildjian stuff in a tube works wonders for the real ingrained dirt. I've also been told its a real dirty job cleaning it. LOL

User Info Menu

I absolutely LOVE brasso, works amazing, gets all the crap off, and brings any cymbal to a beautiful shine, just look at my cymbals.
    I also put a buffing wheel on my drill and use that with the brasso, works awesome, and saves your wrist and arms.

User Info Menu

well... dirt isn't really my problem, it's deeper corrosion. Not just fingerprints, but the after effects of the oils and acids in the skin. The products I'm using are very similar to brasso.

User Info Menu

I had a cymbal with this problem and the only way I could get it looking good again was to use Brasso and some 0000 extre fine steel wool.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    well... dirt isn't really my problem, it's deeper corrosion. Not just fingerprints, but the after effects of the oils and acids in the skin. The products I'm using are very similar to brasso.
    Brasso will clean it, I promise.

User Info Menu

I heard brasso is really bad to use on cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    I heard brasso is really bad to use on cymbals
    You heard wrong my friend, I have been using brasso since day one, and I have never had any problems at all.

User Info Menu

Most cymbals are alright to clean with Brasso or something of the sort, but you probably shouldn't unless you consult whoever sold them to you first. Cymbals with brilliant finishes like Sig's or A Customs should be cleaned with the manufacturers specific cleaner.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

maybe that's my problem. You think I should try the manufacturers cleaner? Is it specific to each company? or can I use one on both my zildjians and my sabians? Ten bucks a bottle is steep for cleaner.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Most cymbals are alright to clean with Brasso or something of the sort, but you probably shouldn't unless you consult whoever sold them to you first. Cymbals with brilliant finishes like Sig's or A Customs should be cleaned with the manufacturers specific cleaner.
    WHY?

Dude that is just a sales pitch, most of my cymbals are brilliant finish, it just does not hurt anything, there is nothing in brasso that is going to hurt your cymbals, but obviously you can buy whatever you want, but those cymbals cleaners, have never worked for me, unless it is brand new and you just want to keep it clean, but for deep cleaning it just will not do it.
    think of it this way, how many of you drive cars? How many of you think or feel that you should take it only to the dealer for repairs? That is the absolute worst thing you could ever do, dealers charge at least 150% markup on all there parts(and they are NO BETTER than the part you buy at napa for half the price or more)then on top of that there labor rates are thru the roof, at least $10-$20 more than an independant repair shop, I know this first hand because I managed a repair shop for over 7 years.
    MY POINT, just because the dealer says it is better, or it is a genuine part, rarely means it is better, same goes for the cymbal cleaners, they are just selling another product and mark the heck out of it because of the name, just to find out it hardly works.
    Brasso rocks, don't waste your money.
    Last edited by Pdplayer; 09-22-2007 at 02:05 PM.

User Info Menu

maybe that's my problem. You think I should try the manufacturers cleaner? Is it specific to each company? or can I use one on both my zildjians and my sabians? Ten bucks a bottle is steep for cleaner.
    Perfect example of my previous statement, no offense kryshah.

User Info Menu

none taken, I've studied metalurgy a bit, and some things clean certain metals than others, and I figured that since zildjian and sabian have "secret" recipes for cymbals, then perhaps they really do produce better cleaners for their own brands.

User Info Menu

To the statement about using the manufacturer's recommended cleaners: That's like saying you should buy your car wash/wax stuff at the Toyota dealer since that's where you bought your car. Just thought I'd use a real life example. Not trying to put you down.

User Info Menu

Ok, so I tried several paste products similar to Brasso, but finally bought actual brasso, and it's done wonders... just buff before it dries, or it'll be streaky. Thanks for the input guys!

User Info Menu

Ok, so I tried several paste products similar to Brasso, but finally bought actual brasso, and it's done wonders... just buff before it dries, or it'll be streaky. Thanks for the input guys!
    I always do a final clean with soap and water as well, this gets it all off, try it you will be shocked how much brasso dirt is still left after buffing.

User Info Menu

Good idea pdp, thanks. I'm just always nervous about water and metal. I guess as long as I dry it well, it'll be fine.

User Info Menu

I have never had any issues

User Info Menu

Good point, Kevin. I suppose now that it could have been used as more of a gimmick then anything else. I've only cleaned my cymbals once with Brasso (did a perfect job) and have never used the cymbal cleaner, so I wasn't sure. But this guy assured me on his life that Paiste cleaner was the best thing to use for $6 a bottle.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

PDP is absolutely spot on. Brasso is an awesome cleaner for cymbals - Just remember, you may lose the black printed logo and you'll definately lose any "brilliant finish" that was applied. I use Brasso (primarily) but I have used Nevr Dull, Barkeepers Friend (a powder that you mix with water that does wonders) and Flitz which comes in a tube (bikers use a ton of this stuff on their chrome). With the exception of Flitz, this other stuff is relatively cheap. Oh, and I'm not a fan of the "let the crud build up, it makes the cymbal sound better" train of thought. Think of all that crud in the grooves that are supposed to vibrate when you hit the cymbal. What happens when you prevent something that is supposed to vibrate from vibrating? It doesn't sound the way it's supposed to. Plus, nothing like shiny cymbals to crash when playing!!! Shiny cymbals look good under stage lights, too!!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    PDP is absolutely spot on. Brasso is an awesome cleaner for cymbals - Just remember, you may lose the black printed logo and you'll definately lose any "brilliant finish" that was applied. I use Brasso (primarily) but I have used Nevr Dull, Barkeepers Friend (a powder that you mix with water that does wonders) and Flitz which comes in a tube (bikers use a ton of this stuff on their chrome). With the exception of Flitz, this other stuff is relatively cheap. Oh, and I'm not a fan of the "let the crud build up, it makes the cymbal sound better" train of thought. Think of all that crud in the grooves that are supposed to vibrate when you hit the cymbal. What happens when you prevent something that is supposed to vibrate from vibrating? It doesn't sound the way it's supposed to. Plus, nothing like shiny cymbals to crash when playing!!! Shiny cymbals look good under stage lights, too!!

Stix
    I completely agree with everything but...

You will only loose the zbt coated brilliant finish or bronze cymbals, it will NOT effect A custom or K customs or cymbals with that kind of brilliant finish, bronze cymbals are coated to make them shine like that, and I promise you if you use brasso on those it will eat it up, but I also promise it will not harm your high end brilliant finish cymbals.
    And yes it will also take off your labels, but I hate labels so that was a plus for me.

User Info Menu

Thanks for clarifying that, PDP! Concur completely!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    I completely agree with everything but...

You will only loose the zbt coated brilliant finish or bronze cymbals, it will NOT effect A custom or K customs or cymbals with that kind of brilliant finish, bronze cymbals are coated to make them shine like that, and I promise you if you use brasso on those it will eat it up, but I also promise it will not harm your high end brilliant finish cymbals.
    And yes it will also take off your labels, but I hate labels so that was a plus for me.
    are you talking about the AAX and the A custom black logos?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    are you talking about the AAX and the A custom black logos?
    basically all black logos on any cymbals.
    if you have black logos and want to keep them, don't clean over them, or they will be gone.